Credit Card for Illegals??

MNHunter

BofA Aims New Credit Card at Illegal Immigrants

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32AM EST
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bank of America Corp. has begun offering credit cards to customers without Social Security numbers, typically illegal immigrants, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

In recent years, banks across the country have been offering checking accounts and even mortgages to the nation's fast-growing ranks of undocumented immigrants, most of whom are Hispanic, the paper said, adding these immigrants generally have not been able to get major credit cards.

The new Bank of America card is open to people who lack both a Social Security number and a credit history, as long as they have held a checking account with the bank for three months without an overdraft, the Journal said.

Bank of America tested the program last year at five branches in Los Angeles, and last week expanded it to 51 branches in Los Angeles County, home to the largest concentration of illegal immigrants in the U.S., the Journal said.

The bank hopes to roll out the program nationally later this year, the paper said.

A Bank of America spokesman was not immediately available to comment.

----------------------------------------------------

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Soon to be called Bankrupt of America. I don't own a single credit card and am wondering when that house of cards will come tumbling down. What do you think will come tumbling with it?
Driftersifter

I wonder if the credit card will be "green"?:)

It just shows that if there is money to be made, to hell with the law. Shameful.

21% interest! Welcome to the United States!

Eel

I am sure they will be able to recieve bankruptcy protection.
Makes you wonder who is more at fault; those whose charge
too much or those who supply credit cards so freely???

Yep it'll bite back no doubt. When they default on their credit cards and mortgages guess what happens and who takes it in the shorts? Not the bank! they get their money either way. If they don't collect from the illegals no big deal, they collect from us in the form of higher interest rates and the burden is passed to you and I. Very bad idea if you are a honest harworking legal citizen.

The only culprit in all of this mess is the federal government. That is who has caused this problem. Why shouldn't banks solicit them as customers?? Grocery stores do. They are here.

The federal government has let the border get away and It is not gonna be easy to fix.

JB

I dont know about you guys, but from now on if i get a Bank America credit card App it will be torn up before it is even opened. I also would close any account i had with them had i had one. It just so happens that last week i switched banks. When the manager asked why i closed my sizable account ( i was hoping she would) I explained to her that I was going to take my money to the bank on the opposite corner because over there I didnt have to push a button before the ATM would display English!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom