Cross Mountain Ranch

stinky

Anybody know how good the Cross Mountain Ranch is for deer...and elk. I have enough points to hunt there.
John 14:6

Anywhere in CO can grow big bucks. But the RFW portion of Cross Mtn Ranch is a little over 33,000 acres across 7 disjunct parcels, so the ranch does not really have the ability to restrict harvest pressure. Recent anecdotal data from CPW has also shown a higher prevalence of CWD in the Williams Fork area (this area, not the more well known Williams Fork in Grand County).

From the CPW website for Cross Mountain ranch:

Cross Mountain RFW is located in an area where elk are substantially over herd objective and the elk herd is migratory. The ranch is working with CPW to harvest antlerless elk to assist in achieving herd objectives. Since antlered elk do not always remain on the ranch and harvest levels off the ranch are high, the size of bulls available to hunters should not be considered "trophy" class.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/RFW06.aspx

I am with Coloradoboy on this one. Several of the RFW ranches in NW Colorado do not control enough land to have significantly better quality animals than on the surrounding lands. Since the vast majority of their land lies in easier to draw units over all animal quality will be similar with maybe a slight better than average chance at something great.

Add that into the idea that this year they are still certain the deer in the NW are going to see significant die offs from the winter. I would think that there would be some equally good hunts you could find off the RFW properties.

The only real advantage to the RFW in this case would be season timing, and how the actual season was structured, etc. If your the only one hunting the property and then it might be worth it just for the solidarity. On the flip side I have heard some horror stories about RFW hunts and limitation that were unreasonable and the draw hunters taking a back seat to the paying hunters etc.

Fomr the rough winter alone in the Further NW sections of the state I would be hesitant to cash my points there this year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom