Custom ammo or factory ammo?

FourDown

I am just curious as to what everyone uses! Do you buy factory loads or do you reload your own ammo? And what is your reasoning for that choice! Is it because of price or performance? I am just curious to see what everyone out there is doing! Thanks guys!

I use both. I reload for everything but my 300RUM and until recently have always reloaded for it. I switched to a long range scope and found out that the optimal package was some Nosler custom ammo; other than I reload my own for myself and friends.

I roll my own for all my firearms. Saves some money, lets me tailor the load to the gun, and I just plain enjoy it,

Phantom Hunter

Custom ammo all the way, that way I know each round is exactly the same, so when the moment of truth comes, I know where it is going to hit.

I reload all my own. I really enjoy working up a load and tinkering around with it. It is a cheaper cost per round, but I think I end up shooting a ton more than if I was just buying factory stuff.

I re-load my own for my long range target guns but I have found factory ammo works great for hunting purposes. Custom loads are more uniform in brass sizes, powder loads and how they load into the chamber. Factory loads have a little more variance so they are not generally as accurate. BUT, if you are talking shooting a 6" group at 400 yards, factory loads will be just fine. They do cost more but it's pretty expensive to get into reloading your own bullets, expecially if you are considering doing it for more than one gun.

It's always an adventure!!!

It depends on what you are after.

If you want to shoot dimes at a hundred yards, load your own. If it is big game, then the factory PREMIUM stuff is the way to go.

The factory has the ability to test for penetration, expansion, knock down power and recoil. Factory research and developement guys use several target mediums to test hunting loads, ie, ballistic jell, oatmeal, jello, wax, putty, grease.....and other secret chit...most reload guys cannot do all that at home. Not to even mention, millions of dollars in computerized equipment.

I always get a kick out of that group of shooters who say they don't trust computers, but they accept computer technology in optics, lazer surgury, rifle barrel manufacturing, GPS, communication, etc., etc.

Reloaders can make fast, accurate loads that pass right thru big game and don't make quick kills.

Hornady (and others) top of the line ammo, is 98% perfect in all regards and I personnaly don't have the time or inclination to chase a 2% improvement in my ammunition.

All that said, reloading is fun, cost effective....eventually....and adds to the shooting experience overall.

I ROLLED MY OWN LOADS FOR 26 YEARS, BUT WHEN I DISCOVERED FEDERAL VITAL SHOCK & THE QUALITY OF THE LOADS I PUT THE TIME SAVED TO BETTER USE. JUST WORKS BETTER FOR ME.......YD.

I use custom ammo for hunting, factory ammo for plinking and practice.

However, because of time commitments, I choose to use Superior Ammunition for my custom loads. It is the best of both worlds for me! I get far better performance from ammo that is custom made for my rifle, but I don't have the intitial money investment, steep learning curve, or time requirements of doing it myself.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

I reload for myself and hunting buddies. I believe either way you will spend some money on finding the right combination of bullet manufacturer, type, velocity, weight per a particular rifle. I reload because it is cheaper in the long run. I also enjoy getting my rifle/ ammo combination into as tight a group as possible. I believe if you choose the hunt area, scout it yourself, glass and use the wind to your favor the endgame of reloading your own ammo and shot placement of exactly where you want the bullet to hit for a humane shot is the completion of an even more fulfilling hunt. You use your hunting and reloading skills to their fullest and reap the rewards of both.
Since it is cheaper to reload you can practice more and become an even better marksman.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]I reloaded a lot when younger and shooting competitively but got away from the "task" it gets to be when i relocated and mostly just shot in hunting situations and some practice. I also found a premium round my rifle liked and a dealer to sell it to me at his cost. Lately though, that factory round became discontinued and though i tried several other companies wares at over $50./box, none gave the kind of accuracy i require in my hunting rifles.

So i started reloading again and found what i was looking for thanks to some help and advice from MM's guys that frequent the "Shooting Forum" and a couple of great friends nearby that offered up their help and equipment as needed. After the die and brass purchase, i'm now shooting Nosler Accubonds quite a bit faster than the factory stuff available and it has proven extremely accurate in my rifle...now at a cost of about $15.00 a box.

Write this down; Do what you gotta do!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom