custom Barrel, who makes the best

GONHUNTIN

I am contimplating on rebarreling My SAKO 7mm STW and was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on which barrel is the best. I have looked at Shilen, green mountain and a few more I cant recall, any input will appreciated MARK

I have a couple Shilen and they are decently accurate and foul extremely little. I can pretty much totally clean with only powder solvent for 50 rounds. It may take a couple patches of copper solvent every now and then. Accuracy is sub MOA, but I have a lot of factory barrels that will go sub MOA. I have no factory barrels that foul as little as my Shilens. Personally not very impressed with "custom" guns in large hunting calibers overall accuracy. I will just buy factory in the future. JMO

Almost like asking is Chevy better then Ford. Their are several excellant barrel makers out there. As for me, I have had very good luck with Shilen barrels in the hunting rifle weights. I have used their #3 weight barrel on numerous rifles and the groups average 1/2 to 3/4 inch. The #3 is very close to the Rem. 700 barrel in size and weight.

RELH

Lilja, Pac-Nor, Hart, Spencer, Broughton, and many others mentioned are all A+ Iron.
I would also look into finding an A+ Gunsmith to do the honors.

Shilen is one of the better ones in my experience, both Pac Nor barrels I've had shot poor and Pac Nor did the work. the best there is would be Lilja in my opinion, Bansner and Lex Wiberneck both use them for almost all of their guns so that will tell you something.

Here are some, Krieger, Bartlein, Obermeyer, Rock, Broughton, and Schneider. The first three are really backed up though, about a year's wait I last heard.

huntindude, with all due respect, I really don't think that there is a "best" when you get into the upper echelon of barrels. Most guys recommend something that they have good experiences with, and that is fine. But like RELH said, it really is a Ford Chevy debate. For my money, I would go with most of the makers that have been mentioned prior. As for professional references, David Tubb uses Schneider exclusively, and Schneider is also the current producer of barrels for the Marine Corp M40A3 rifle. That being said, I don't even have a Schneider tube. Kriegers backlogged because their barrels are winning a bunch of benchrest matches, Bartlein is backed up because it was started by former Krieger employees, Obermeyer is backed up because he is the father of 5R rifling in cut rifled barrels. You can go on and on, but you get the drift. it's hard to go wrong with these guys.

I'll have to add a vote for Lilja. A buddy just had one made. Getting a good Smith is good advice. Dennis Miller just happens to be in Plains, Montana, as is Lilja. mtmuley

daniel I'll agree there's lots of great barrels out there , when it comes to consistant quality sporter wieght barrels my money is on Lilja. while I'm sure there are others that may be as good I doubt there's any better. through the years of trial and error with barrels and talking to gunsmiths I'll never buy anything but Lilja again, that's just my opinion.

The best accuracy results we have had is with HART Barrels.
Have built or changed barrels on quit a few rifles and HART'S have always out shot the others.

TM

I don't know, the last rifle I built I tried a Pac-Nor barrel since they're here in Oregon. I had them do all the smithing and install a stainless match grade #3, it shoots awful no matter what load I try. a friend tried to warn me because he had the same luck but I figured it was just the gunsmithing, now I don't know but it's Lilja from here on for me.

I have two rifles with Hart barrel's and a good
buddy has one. All work really well.

I have to say, that a freind of mine that used to work
for Shilen, and has had his own business now for quite some
time, now uses Krieger.

So many good ones. We're very lucky.

fyi
lrv

Hart makes an excellent barrel and so does Schneider. Shilen , Lilja, and a few others listed above. The tube is only part of the equation in a shooter. A good gunsmith is essential to the equation to make sure it's done right. I have owned guns that had Hart, Schneider, Wiseman, McMillan, and Shilen barrels and they all shot good. Like Irv states we are lucky to have so many that make a quality product.

Every barrel mentioned are great products and I agree your smith is as equally important because a great barrel can be turned to junk in a heartbeat. Also remember just because they make them does not mean they can install them.

The AMU buys them all screws them on and the ones that shoot stay on and the others hit the can regardless of whose name is on them.

I am going to mention an overlooked barrel maker. I never thought much of them, they have been around forever. One the most accurate sporting rifles I ever shot wore one.

E.R. Shaw

I have never owned one myself but have seen enough to remember not to overlook them.

I know many people, including myself who have a custom barrel from Christensen Arms. Basically, they use a Shilen select match grade stainless steel barrel which is machined down and wrapped in carbon through a patented process.
It's this combination that makes their accuracy, weight, and performance untouchable in the custom rifle market!

Maybe I just had a bad one but it shot crappy, I tried everything but the only cure I found was to sell it. I went to fluted # 2 taper Lilja barrels , they weigh the same and shoot 10 times better. I've heard good and bad about the Christensen barrels, if for some reason I went thay way I'd make them gaurantee it or forget it.

No offense Addison, but there are a lot of other gunsmiths around that make a gun that will shoot as well or better. They all build some good ones, some great ones, a few that will never be duplicated and a few that shouldn't have left the shop. It all depends on whether or not the customer will listen to them and do things the way they recommend and the budget and componets they have to work with. A good tube is a good start but a great tube enhances your chances of getting a one holer!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom