Custom Dials

krazy

I am curious about the Leupold CDS scopes that have come out. Anyone have one, and willing to give me an opinion on them? Are there other manufacturers that have a similar technology that will customize turrets/dials to a particular load?

Thanks in advance!

I don't about other brands but the Leupold CDS dials work for sure if you order up the free dial for a specific load for the rifle it is mounted on. I have 3 of them on 3 different rifles and they work as advertised. You just have to tell the Custom Shop the caliber, bullet weight, velocity, your elevation where you live, and the zero you want the dial set for. I.E. for a 257 Weatherby I set the zero at 300 yards because it is very flat. For a 284 Winchester I set the zero at 200 yards. The 257 is good to 900 yards with one turn of the dial and the 284 to 700. They work pretty damn good if you carry a rangefinder.

I have a cds set up for my 270 wsm.It works good but i am kinda wishing i went with the ziess rapid z.The rapid z is more functional for altitudes,temps,and loads without having a bunch of turrets.I also had some issues while hunting with my turret screws coming loose and not adjusting properly and if you over tighten your going to strip them out.Less moving parts is always good IMO.

Another option is to send your scope in to Leupold and have them install their custom reticle to your load. I had this done a few years back and it is dead on and only cost around 80 bucks. They are set for 200-500 yards with the top of bottom post around 575 for my gun.

Yes it is a reticle system.They make rapid z600 for most non-magnum calibers,z800 for magnum class,z1000 for 308.Im going to be purchasing the z800 for my 338 win mag soon.I will let you guys know how it works out.

Used the 284 with Leupy Ultralight 3-9x33 w. CDS last week in the Alaska Range on a horseback Dall sheep hunt. Several days of riding with the rifle in the scabbard as well as climbing in nasty crags. Shot was 400 yards facing away bedded slightly downhill. Set the dial at 380 middle of the back hold. Bang. Dead. No problems with dial coming loose, etc. Just sayin.

One thing to remember, most reticles are setup to use on one specific power. Usually the highest power. I switched from the B&C reticle to the CDS system. I feel the CDS is a better system by far.

ziess has a ballistic calculator that you can enter all your data bullet,grains,temp,altitude etc. It tells you what magnification to set it at for each load for optimum performance.check out ziess website muley looks good to me.

I have the custom bcd on my Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 on a Winchester model 70, pre-64 7mm STW. I absolutely love it. Coupled with a good range finder and it almost feels like cheating.

I sent my scope & my ballistic data to Leupold probably about 10 years ago. Turn around was quick, great customer service & less than $100. Haven't had any issues holding zero, striping screws, nothing bad and I put my equipment through the wringer.

Only thing I don't like is that the bcd elevation turret is taller (about 1") than the stock turret. But I think the new ones are designed differently & don't stick up so much...

Adversity does not build character, it reveals it - Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Thanks for the insight, gentlemen. I think I will go with the Leupold CDS (once I sock the money away without the wife knowing).

Great choice for a hunting rifle. It was stated here that a reticle is more suitable for the parameters involved, but the opposite is the case. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom