Custom Maps

King_B

How many of you use, or would use custom maps available for purchase of a hunting area?

Upoin your request, for example, a map could include things like hunt boundary, places to camp, streams/rivers, springs, contours, point elevation heights, trails, etc.

The maps/layers would be compatible with Google Earth as well.

Thanks!

Would these be a paper map or more of a computer program? One thing that would help persuade me would be to include public vs private lands.
I might consider it but to be honest it would have to be dirt cheap. Most of that info can be found online pretty easily.

Cool. They could be paper maps and/or layers for Google Earth. Something also that could be on a map would be a viewshed from specific glassing/sitting areas. For example, this could answer questions like: "If I hike to sit at point A, what area will I be able to see?" This way you could locate good view points without actually being there.

Thanks for the input.

Anytime I hunt a new area, I always get a custom map of the area from the link on this website. The additions you mention would be great if you can stay within their price range. I generally pay $15 for a folded, waterproof map.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I make my own WY maps with property ownership showing in different colors and I can put coordinates for any spot on them to keep from trespassing, spots I want to go to, etc. I got that CD ROM for $50 about 10 years ago from MapTrails and I wouldn't be without it. In fact, it saved us $200 trespass tickets 2 years ago when a rancher said we were trespassing and I showed the Game Warden & Deputy Sheriff right where we were standing with matching coordinates on our GPS. The rancher had an old topo map and said his property line was at such and such a spot and he was wrong. The funny thing was that I had purchased the program right over the web from the F&G Main Office in Cheyenne! I believe there are a lot of companies offering CD ROMs like that now or chips that slip right in your GPS with all that info.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-11 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]For $15 and 5-10 minutes of my time, I don't mind being a little lazy. Besides, map makers got to make a living too! All other jobs are overseas!

That said, I do love my Colorado TOPO C/D set. And might as well admit it...... I enjoy time spend searching and "scouting" with maps.....LOL

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom