Custom Rifle? MM input appreciated

Pre64

Very Active Member
So I'm checking the gun rack at a local pawn shop and spy an old 700 in 30-06. "What'll you take for it?", I ask. $250. SOLD!

After I get 20+ years of crud and dust off it, inside and out, I've got an immaculate 700 standard action made in 1981. It cleaned up nice. I was gonna trade it off but now I'm thinkin..........custom????

Had my heart set on a .338 WM for an AK/Elk rifle. So what do I do? Trade up for a mag action or rebarrel? ALSO, I have a VX-III 4.5X14 with the BC reticle available, so if I rebarrel I'd like to be able to utilize that trajectory. (Which is basically 200 zero, -7@300, -20@400, -29.5@450, -41@500).

For background, got 270, 06, 300. I'm thinkin 30-06 AI, or maybe 338-06, or 338-06AI. I've heard people have had feeding problems with the AIs, not good for an AK rifle. Anybody got a 338-06??

ALL INPUT APPRECIATED, ANYTHING POSSIBLE!!

Thanks gentlemen.

Damned interesting.

damned interesting indeed.

What about a .35 Whelen ....??

Just throw'n ideas out there.

cool

lrv

With Alaske in the picture, .338-06 AI sounds good. I've been looking closely at the AI cartridges lately. Really interesting. Let us know what you build. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-09 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]I have no idea what I'm gonna build! Considered the Whelen, but then I need a new scope. The 338-06AI is almost a 338WM, but if the feedeing problems are true then not good for an AK rifle. Or...maybe I need a .375 also...someday.

I would'nt let that scope dictate the build. You could easily sell it and get another, or have a custom reticle installed.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Sounds like you have the makings of at least a semi-custom at a bargain price. I never run into deals like that! :)

As far as calibers and cartridges, looks like there might be a hole at 25-06 Rem or AI that could use filling. I do though like the 30-06 AI and the 338-06 AI as well. When it gets right down to it, i probably could live with any 06 offspring Ackley Imp.

When i had my 1969 25-06 turned into a 280 AI, i did have some minor, not very noticeable and not very often, problems with feeding as the fatter and longer at the shoulder cases didn't want to stack as nicely in the magazine. Couple minor adjustments and was good to go. Once the bolt nudged up the round from the mag, they always fed excellently without further problems.

Steal of a deal! Joey

Here's my thinking, it's going to cost the same to build a custom 338 win or 340 WBY as it will a 338-06, so what's a few hundred bucks more for an action to build what you want. either sell the 06 action or save it for another project. if you really want something different build a 30 Gibbs on it.

If you want a magnum you're going to build a magnum before it's over, so don't waste money on a project you didn't want in the first place. at least that's always how it goes for me.

Dude makes some good points. The .338/06 is a good round and a good smith can fix the feeding issues. It's usually a matter of altering the feed rails and or/the follower a bit. It's a good cartridge in all it's forms and would make an excellent milder recoiling bear gun. You've always got your .300 if you want something with a little more pep but it's hard to beat a .338 winchester mag for a gun for Alaska.

Thanks for all the input. After having thunk on it a bit, I think I'm gonna lean towards a long range elk rifle (to me that's under 500 yards). With a 3 year old I don't get to hunt like I used to, so I pretty much focus on elk. AK, still a bit of a pipe dream.

So, emphasis on accuracy first and foremost. Second, enough bang to drop a bull. So many choices.

I like the 35 Whelen. but 338-06 may have an advantage in bullet selection, up against the 338 win, at yardage 400 and below, there isnt a heck of alot of difference. in fact, the 35W shooting a 250 grain pill at 2600 fps, has plenty of energy left at 500 for any bear or elk.thats what i am getting out of my 24" whelen,wich could be improved upon no doubt with an AI reamer.

Need to do some research on the AIs. According to my nosler manual; a 30-06 AI is within 100 fps (or so) of a 300WM using 180 grain bullets. That's impressive.

From what I gathered so far, the AI adds about 100 fps. So, a 338-06AI should throw 225 gr. pills at roughly 2700 fps (given proper loads and barrel length). BUT, I can't find a lot of reloading data on the 338-06AI.

Given that I can already toss 200 grain .308 ABs at 2900 fps, I'd like to step up to the .338 225s. Maybe that means .338WM.

BTW, this aint gonna happen overnight. Thanks again for the insight.

I think Bambistew shoots a 338-06AI, try to get ahold of him, i'm sure he can shed more light on the subject.

I would think, out of a 24" pipe, 2700 is reasonable. i was getting 2700+ with 225 accubonds in my 35 Whelen, non-AI.

Leaning towards 338-06 w/25" Lilja barrel, 1/10 twist. Hopefully I can push a 200/210 grain bullet to 2800, or close to it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom