custom rifle

hhunter23

im looking into building a custom rifle. what are some of you guys' recommendations, as far as action, barrel, stock, scope? im wanting a long range rifle so take that into consideration. ive looked at cooper firearms out of Montana and like their jackson Hunter model. but i kinda want to "piece" the gun together.

"Shoot Straight"

I had Kevin weaver with weaver rifles build mine. Mine has a Jim Borden timberline action, benchmark five fluted barrel, jewel trigger, McMillan stock, and Harrell muzzle brake, and every metal piece ceramic coated. With scope and everything I'm sitting at just under 9 lbs in a .300 RUM. It's a shooter!!

I have a stiller predator action, mcmullin stock, jewel trigger, broughton barrels, 6.5x47 and 6.5x.284, nightforce scope, great gun. Most custom barrels are good, I know the guys I used have only had problems from one barrel company. You will get lemons, but they usually take care of it quick. Jewel triggers are definitely worth the money, and is something a lot of people over look. And then having the right guy put it together. I would chose a caliber that you can get Lapua brass for. Lapua is suppose to be coming out with belted mag brass soon.

Cross canyon arms is a sponser here. The head gun smith is Brad Stair. He put together a 300 Tejas thats a sweat gun ,low recoil. My daughter shoots it. I think you need to find a builder and go with what he knows best and let him build up the gun for you. Mine has a 700 action and he will added everything to the gun you want.

As an older guy who has packed around many different guns on a lot of miles, i would advise that you consider trying to keep the weight of your planned custom on the lighter side. I have a heavier rifle or two that shoot lights out but they stay in the safe a lot of the time, especially when i plan to do much walking. Weight of my rifle didn't used to bother me one bit and it may not concern you either but as the miles increase and the years go on, it now does and for you it surely may.

I'm not talking ultra-lite stuff here. Yes, they are nice and when put together by one who know his business, can be sweet shooters. If me, i'd try and set a goal of rifle scope and all at under 8 pounds. That's a good weight, can be a tack driver yet not too hard for even us getting on broken down ol farts to pack. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

HH- Where are you from and what type of budget are you considering? I wouldnt rule out the 7mm Rem mag or 7WSM either. Give us some more details.

Your action of choice, a good barrel, a good stock and a smith you trust to put it together. Or just buy the Cooper. mtmuley

weight isn't a huge issue, though like sage said i would like to keep it below 10 lbs. i carry a weatherby that is already heavy so im used to it. im from northern Utah, so western hunting and my budget is not huge, but buy a piece here and there and get it built when finances permit. possibly just buying a gun and like a Remington 700 just for the action and going from there?

ive thought about just buying the cooper and running it since it is already custom built, but im undecided. i have met the cross canyon arms guys, my old man used to drive to work with one of the guys that used to work there so ive known about the Tejas round for quite some time. thanks for all the input.

"Shoot Straight"

I did this last year and started with a 300 weatherby Vanguard from Walmart, Took the barrel and action out and put it into Boyds thumbhole laminet stock with a limbsaver recoil pad, A two pound Timney trigger and topped it off with a Ziess 3x9 Zplex 600 bullet drop compensator. Shoots great.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

HH- You could buy a rem 700 in your caliber of choice and drop it into a mcmillan stock. Get yourself a good trigger and top it with some good optics. Shoot the heck out of it and when you have the $ rebarrel and true the action.
Another option is to buy a used custom rifle. There are many out there priced great. Check out 24hr campfire and Long range hunting forum if you are interested.

I shoot a remington 700 short action blue printed in 7wsm, benchmark barrel, manners T stock, super sniper scope with 180 gr bergers over h-1000 powder. shoots great. other than the barrel being new the rest of my parts I picked up used. Check out gapprecision.net if your looking for a gunsmith. He builds a better product then copper.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom