Custom rifles

Romulus

Just curious what members opinions were of the somewhat moderately priced custom rifles. HS precision, Nosler custom and others in the 2 to 4 K price range.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-09 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p] What I suggest is that you give Jim Bawden a call. He is out of Utah (Orem area) and can custom build exactly what you are looking for and I guarantee he will give you more for your $ than any custom gun from the manufacturer. I dont have a "dog in the hunt", so to speak....meaning there's nothing in it for me by recommending you to Jim. But what I can tell you is I have had him do some work for me in the past and he's as good as there is. Good luck. I'll send you a pm with Jim's number

I have a HS precision in 300 win mag. It is my best rifle. Little heavy, but, the recoil is very reasonable, and you can shoot it a few times on the range without the barrel heating up.
It is more accurate than I am.

I am thinking about a Borden rifle (I think thats how you spell it) for wife/son to use as they are shooting pretty good.
Cannot decide on a caliber.

Want to be able to knock down an elk at 500 yards. Really pack a punch.

I will NOT re load ammo so need to be able to buy box shells at a reasonable price.

Need to keep the recoil in mind and the weight.

I keep coming back to the 300 win mag, though considering the 325 wsm. though shells are pretty expensive.

Really do not want to spend more than that $50 bucks a box I am spending now on the 300 win mag.

I have a 300 WSM in laminate and I have had real good luck with it. I had a 300 win mag winlite and it shot well but it kicked hard with hot handloads. I prefer the 300 WSM for the efficiency of the cartridge. I also have a 270 win that I have used for about 20 years and it shoots well but I am just itching for a new gun. Just trying to get a feel for some of the choices before I make purchase.

Consider having a good Gun Smith put a quality barrel, doing all the trick stuff, to a already light weight rifle, Rem model 7 maybe, that either you already own or buy new. There is always more that can be done but for less than two grand you ought to be able to put together a light weight skeeter nut shooter and with a few improvements such as cartridge and barrel selection, it would certainly be custom.

That said, CBeard has a Nosler 48 in 270WSM... or is it 280AI, anyway, i'd love to have one!! :)

Also, My gun for the money pick; Kimber makes a Super America model, about $1800., that is about as close to custom as your going to get with out actually being a true custom. A Very beautiful highly grained stock, Ebony for-end, crisp clean checkering, deep dark bluing, light weight, and a good shooting rifle. I like the way these "little" guns fit to me!

Joey

I'd bypass the custom. For example, get a Remington 700, have a good smith attach a Lilja and true and blue print the action. Bet you would be out 1500 bucks or so. Of course use the factory rifle and barrel maker of your choice. My factory 700 BDL SS will soon be wearing a 27 inch Lilja, and I guarantee it will shoot as well or better than ANY custom. Hell, it already does. mtmuley

All good suggestions. Ain't deciding what rifle to choose fun??

Like Joey said I've got a Nosler 48 in .270 WSM and I REALLY like it. It's light,balanced, and "fits" me.I do not handload either but the 48 shoots its promised 1/2-3/4" groups with Nosler Accubonds in 140 grain. Also groups 150 grain Partitions at about 3/4" and 130 grain TSX's at about 1".

(Hey Joey I like the idea of the .280 AI too.Maybe someday....)

Good luck in your search!

I have to agree with mtmuley and luckyshot. Find a good smith and have them build you the rifle you want. You'd probably be suprised at how much money you can save by avoiding some of the big name rifle builders that sale their own rifle packages.

I just did what mtmuley suggested and for a little over $1,700 got an awesome rifle built exactly to my specifications.

NMPaul whats yor beef with reloading? Shooting factory ammo out of a custom rifle is like walking on the beach wearing wool socks.

>NMPaul whats yor beef with reloading?
>Shooting factory ammo out of
>a custom rifle is like
>walking on the beach wearing
>wool socks.

LOL, I equate reloading with cutting bait and fishing. Would rather be fishing.

I got way to many things going on to take on another time intensive project. That and I am not that technically inclined.

My factory ammo shoots pretty good out of my 300 win.

Find a gunshop that sells Cooper rifles and buy the caliber you like. I have a 22/250, 25/06 and a 280AI and they shoot as good or better than any totally custom rife you can have made for much less money. They are as close to perfect as I have ever shot! I have owned most and none are better!!!

TM

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-09
>AT 04:26?PM (MST)

>
> What I suggest is that
>you give Jim Bawden a
>call. He is out of
>Utah (Orem area) and can
>custom build exactly what you
>are looking for and I
>guarantee he will give you
>more for your $ than
>any custom gun from the
>manufacturer. I dont have a
>"dog in the hunt", so
>to speak....meaning there's nothing in
>it for me by recommending
>you to Jim. But what
>I can tell you is
>I have had him do
>some work for me in
>the past and he's as
>good as there is. Good
>luck. I'll send you a
>pm with Jim's number

I will give a second on Jimmy... If you want a gun at any level he is the man. He offers full service from start to finish, he will break in the barrel and work up a load for it.

x2

I purchased a Cooper in 280AI a while back.
It shoots great with Nosler factory ammo and
should fare better with reloads.

Smooth action, nice trigger, short bolt throw.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

There's a lot of good choices out there. We're lucky to have a lot of good gunsmiths and custom gun makers pretty much close by to any of us.

If you're on a tight budget your best route may be to scavange up some donor pieces and have your local smith put it together for you. I think it'd be very possible to set up a sweet gun for under $1500.

I'm in the process of doing just that on a 7mm right now.

Pick up a barreled Remington 700 action, have it tefloned, get a good stock like an HS, work over or replace the trigger with something like a riflebasix, have your smith true it all up, and odds are you'll have a sweet shooter for around a grand. If your still not satisfied with how she shoots take the $500 you have left and go for a custom barrel.

I hear a little good and bad about every custom gun out there, but it's a lot like listening to guys argue about truck brands.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom