Cutthroats Only

I always wanted to go to pyramid lake, but I’ve never made it there. I’m going to go this year now. My great grand father was a tribal member over there and I want to go see the land that was stolen from them!

It’s not a competition here, HC! But you might like some of these.

View attachment 133163

View attachment 133164

View attachment 133165

View attachment 133166

View attachment 133167

View attachment 133168

That bottom fish is the biggest cutthroat I’ve ever seen caught. I didn’t catch it, but I netted it and took some pictures, so I can kind of claim it.
Some giants for sure. We are still search for that 25 pound plus. this is the best 2 we have landed.

IMG_0780.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg

So?

For you Guys Fishing The SECRET SPOT Quite A Bit?

How Many Clipped Fins Do You See On Average?

AKA PP Plants!

You see it both ways Bessy. I’m not sure I’ve ever paid attention enough to compare overall, but I’m guessing the distribution you see here in pics are a good indication on the ratio you’d see.

Ya!

I Was just Curious How Many Of The PP CUTTS You Guys Have Seen?

Check Your PM!

You see it both ways Bessy. I’m not sure I’ve ever paid attention enough to compare overall, but I’m guessing the distribution you see here in pics are a good indication on the ratio you’d see.

You see both pilots and summits regularly, but I think the super large fish are more often the pilots.

If anyone hasn’t looked into that story, you should. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it’s a true conservation win and great story.

I always wanted to go to pyramid lake, but I’ve never made it there. I’m going to go this year now. My great grand father was a tribal member over there and I want to go see the land that was stolen from them!
You should definitely come out and enjoy the PLP Rez. Some of the most beautiful landscape and skyscape I have ever seen. If you have tribal connections and can fish Summit Lake, they have an awesome strain of Cutties up there too. ----SS

Tell me more, Homer!
Paiute Cutthroat......only native to Silver King creek that feeds into the Carson River in Cali......F&G planted them in the North fork of Cottonwood creek in the whites....for protection if Silver King lost them..this one is from Cottonwood creek

You should definitely come out and enjoy the PLP Rez. Some of the most beautiful landscape and skyscape I have ever seen. If you have tribal connections and can fish Summit Lake, they have an awesome strain of Cutties up there too. ----SS
I’ll have to find out about the fishing at summit lake. My great grand father left there to come to the Ute reservation to teach school at the boarding school in white rocks.. married a uintah Ute and that’s where we come from. I’ll go to the tribal office when I get over there and see what they say. Thank you SS

Paiute Cutthroat......only native to Silver King creek that feeds into the Carson River in Cali......F&G planted them in the North fork of Cottonwood creek in the whites....for protection if Silver King lost them..this one is from Cottonwood creek

That trout is every bit as special as a 20 pounder from Pyramid! That is one of the things I love about fishing. Every one of them we catch has a story, and some of them are truly remarkable.

Give me fingerling native trout in unique waters like you described over 16-20 inch browns in the Provo or Green any day of the week!

Friggin cutthroats. Such awesome fish!!!

That’s not a Paiute homer

Paiute cutthroats have zero spots.

Well Niller!

You Know what I'm Saying About The Fish Off Of That Deck Then!

Them Fish Ain't PISSCUTTERS!

We Had A Friend That Use To Work Up There That Had Keys!

We Were Always Gonna Go Fish It With One HELL Of A Battle Plan!

Can You Imagine A Night Crawler Hitting The Water Niller?

JFP!

We Were Gonna Use Braided Steel Line & Way Heavy Leaders!

You Ain't Hoisting A Fish Up Outa There Without Some HEAVY DUTY Gear!

Then We Decided It Wouldn't Be Worth Our Friend Getting Fired Over The Deal!

So We PUSSED Out!

If You Other Guys Haven't Went Down Through The Damn At Flaming Gorge & Then Out On The Deck I Highly Recommend You Do It!

Them BIG SOB'S Will Come Up That Swift Jet Stream Like No Other!

Hey Niller?

Do They Make A Lure Called a Fish Pellet?:D

IMG_7371.jpeg

For You Guys That Have Fished The SECRET SPOT Both From Shore Line And In A Boat?

What's Been your Experience Out Of The Boat Versus Shore Line?

So?

How Many Natural Reproduction Lahontan's Do You Catch?

Can you Believe A Lake That Big Was Fished Like Our State has Been Hunted?

How Do You Let A Lake That Big Be Fished Clear Out?

A Miracle They Found Some Original Strain Lahontan's To Get Em Going Again!

No live bait. No non-live bait either, actually. No scent, etc. either.

Barbless hooks only.

Hey Niller?

You ever Caught One Of Them Nasty-Ass Tui Chubs?

Never Fails!

Just About All trout Fisheries Have Some Kind Of A JUNK Fish That Is Protected!

They Think SQUAW Fish Here Are Neat!

Ask Anybody From Washington How Neat They Are!

So?

How Many Natural Reproduction Lahontan's Do You Catch?

Depends on what your definition of natural production is. I think the vast majority of the fish are through the hatchery program on the reservation.
Hey Niller?

Never Fails!

Just About All trout Fisheries Have Some Kind Of A JUNK Fish That Is Protected!

They Think SQUAW Fish Here Are Neat!

Ask Anybody From Washington How Neat They Are!

I can believe it. This has happened all around the world. I live very near a lake that the historical records show could have rivaled Pyramid for size of cutthroats that only has carp, catfish, white bass, and June suckers in it now. (With some illegally planted pike.) It’s not hard to see how destructive we are as people of left to our own devices.

Hey Niller?

I have not. I’m glad those Tui-chub are in there though, because the lahontans sure like to eat em!

I meant to say I heard there’s a lake in Washington state to get cuts in.

Soon in the truckee river water shed the cuts will be natural spawners( already happens to some degree)

Colorado cuts are on the dream list! Beautiful photos and good job showing of the tail fin! Thank you for the motivation!

Nice thread and pics of some awesome cutthroats! I don't have pictures...but some incredible memories of my times fishing Nevada's Pyramid Lake. I think during my college years (1970's) the Indians had a minimum size limit of 19 inches for keepers. I caught lots of fish, but NEVER caught a keeper. Twice I quit fishing to thaw out my frozen hands. those two times I remember, a fellow fisherman asked what I was using for bait, I said wooly boogers- and good luck! I watched as the guy caught a 26 lber! (the second time was a 22 lber!) I never forgot- beautiful fish! I took my Dad there- he did not want to fish because the Tribe had their own license you had to buy- I convinced him to try- I caught my usual 18 inchers- he caught a 8# and 10# ! The biggest fish I ever caught was a 10# Cui-ui sucker that I tail-hooked. They were a protected species by the Tribe. Thanks for this thread- jogged my memories!
(I did find my Dad's pic with the 8# cutt!)

Dad's 7.5# Cutthroat.jpg

Last edited:
*Snake River Fine Spotted Cutthroat

One of the most gorgeous of all gorgeous fish. Great fish Pete! That think is a football.

Some more to get us through to the next round of folks that hopefully share some cutties!

View attachment 133021

View attachment 133022

View attachment 133023

View attachment 133024
Read this for more info on the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout thought to have gone extinct

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom