CVA Accura Breech Plug Help

MQQSE

I just purchased the Accura V2 and after shooting it I found the plug extermely difficult to remove. I was barely able to remove it after two shots. I then cleaned and replaced it, took three more shots and it was even more difficult to remove.

Do I have a lemon with bad threads? The gun shoots very well and is already on the money after 5 rounds.

Hopefully there is any easy solution.

Help!

no that doesnt sound right. Is there fouling in the threads when you remove it?

How tight are you installing it? It only needs finger pressure from the thumb and index finger.

A lot of new guns come with greasy oil and steel shavings still in the threads, I would advise you to buy a can of birchwood casey gun scrubber and use a brush to clean out the threads in the barrel and flush it out with more gun scrubber.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

I wiped off the excess oil when I rirst removed the plug prior to shooting it the first time.

Now, I can't even get the darn thing in two revolutions.

I hate to have to send it back if it's something simple, but I can't help but think the threads are ripped up.

When I installed it after the first shots, it eventually went in rather easily, except on some turns.

sounds like a rolled thread. Do you habe a 5/8" thread chaser? You might be able to run that down the plug threads in the barrel and see if it helps.

I think using a small flash light and inspecting the threads in the barrel for obvious rolled thread will show up easily.

Sounds like you might have some grit in there, possibly fouling from the few shots. I would clean it out really well around the plug area. Also, do you use any anti-seize grease on the threads? It keeps blow back front the shots from essentially welding the plug in.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-12 AT 08:48AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the great advice.

I cleaned out the threads very well, then it was easier to put the plug back in. I then removed it and cleaned everything again.

It became easier every time I put the plug back in. I can now do it with my fingers, but there seems to be one part of each turn that is a little tougher than the rest.

What type of lubricant should I put on the threads to avoid the blow back fouling that was probably mixing with the shavings that were initially in there?

You actually shouldnt have to use anti seize on it, the thin ring at the tip expands when the rifle goes off to seal up gasses.

If you want, you can buy a 54cal bronze bore brush and really clean those threads out. Seeing how its getting easier, tells me there was just some crud in there under the anti seize they pack in there during shipment.

FrontierGander is right in that you technically don't need the anti seize grease, but it does make life easier for me. I just use a tube of the Thompson Center stuff, but there are plenty of other brands out there, and usually avialable in the muzzleloading section of any sporting store. It may seem expensive, but one tube will last a few years. One thing the insructions never seem to say when you get a new muzzleloader is to clean it first with some like powder blast or another solvent to get the grease out of the barrel that was used to perserve it while shipping and sitting on the store shelf. The stuff they often used is petroleum based so you need to use the appropriate solvent. Once you doen the initial cleaning then you use whatever or muzzle loading preference is

>sounds like a rolled thread.
>Do you habe a 5/8"
>thread chaser? You might be
>able to run that down
>the plug threads in the
>barrel and see if it
>helps.
>
>I think using a small flash
>light and inspecting the threads
>in the barrel for obvious
>rolled thread will show up
>easily.
>
>www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

I ask this question for the OP. Wouldn't he need the pitch of the threads to run a tap into the threads? I am thinking if he wants to chase the threads he should take the plug into a store that could match the plug. A machine shop could do that for free and he would get the right tool. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom