CVA Accura LRX or MRX ?

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Anybody have any expirience with CVAs Accura LRX or MRX 45 cal rifles ??? Looking for something different to add to my muzzleloader collection. Will they shoot to 300 yds accurately ? I’m looking at one strictly for deer hunting hence the 45. I’m not sure which model would be better ? Any insight would be appreciated ! Thanks

No personal experience but lots of chatter about both of those being substandard in the 45 cal.
I actually emailed the company and asked what I could expect on accuracy from an LRX. And he told me 2-3” at 100 yds 😳. That if I wanted a 1MOA rifle had to buy a paramount.

I asked him what the LR stood for then!!! He never answered me.

That said, the regular Optima V2 and Wolf V2 seems to have a good rep for 1-1.5” at 100 yds

There is also NO accuracy guarantee on any of their guns. You have 2 weeks to shoot it from time of purchase. If you don’t like it they will refund you. But how many people shoot a gun within 2 weeks. And you have to try several bullet/ powder combos to see if you can get one to shoot. Pretty worthless

However that is a no questions asked warranty. If there is actually something wrong with the gun, they will fix or replace at later dates.

I’m not a CVA fan either, I do own a Paramount and yes it does shoot like a laser but yet I hate it !!! Probably will be for sale after my late season muley hunt next week. I like light, simple and the ability to shoot 300 yds accurately ……… I’m open to other suggestions ?

I’m not a CVA fan either, I do own a Paramount and yes it does shoot like a laser but yet I hate it !!! Probably will be for sale after my late season muley hunt next week. I like light, simple and the ability to shoot 300 yds accurately ……… I’m open to other suggestions ?
Where are you hunting with it? If you have a paramount why are you looking at the janky ones?

With the muzzy I hunt Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska for Whitetail. Looking at Colorado plains eventually. I’m not a Paramount fan as I stated before……. It’s in the truck going to Nebraska with me tomorrow but I bet there’s a 95% chance my scoped Omega gets carried more !

I like light, simple and the ability to shoot 300 yds accurately ………
My Knight Wolverine meets two of those criteria. But it's a 125 yard gun max. I guess I have to say 1" groups at 100 yards because touching bullet holes is 1" :D :D

Good luck in Nebraska. Can't wait to see some pics!

IMG_4334.jpeg
Little preview…… first night out but the wrong side of the fence !!! Thanks Joe, hopefully can make something happen !

I got an MRX in 50 cal this fall and love it. Using BH powder and Hornaday 340 Boredrivers
I get moa at 200 yds. That's the furthest that I have tried so far.

With the muzzy I hunt Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska for Whitetail. Looking at Colorado plains eventually. I’m not a Paramount fan as I stated before……. It’s in the truck going to Nebraska with me tomorrow but I bet there’s a 95% chance my scoped Omega gets carried more !
I wouldn’t buy any CVA garbage. If you already have one and like the Omega - I’d put a custom smokeless-capable barrel on it. Woodman Arms makes them. I’ve got two. Great shooters. You can shoot smokeless or any sub in them. Lots of posts over on ModernMuzzleloader about them.

I wouldn’t buy any CVA garbage. If you already have one and like the Omega - I’d put a custom smokeless-capable barrel on it. Woodman Arms makes them. I’ve got two. Great shooters. You can shoot smokeless or any sub in them. Lots of posts over on ModernMuzzleloader about them.
Interesting…… I’ll check into that.

Shucks. I attached this to the wrong post. Meant to attach it to Stillwater's picture! :LOL: :LOL:

I have a CVA Accura MR in .50. Love the gun. I shoot a a 250gr Barnes T-EZ with Blackhorn Powder. Shot my last mule deer at 300 yards. I love the MR due to it's shorter barrel. The new models have a threaded barrel and there is a nice after market brake you can add to it. My little brother has the newer version with the brake and it shoots lights out witht same load I run.

Take any item, from shoes to guns. When they make a good product and it gets popular, and more people buy it, someone gets greedy. They either sell the company for a big payday and that entity feels it has to get it made cheaper to justify buying it. Or, the current owners decide to lower standards so they will make more money. Not sure which happened to CVA rifles. 10 yrs ago, they were a good rifle. Now I wouldn’t take a new X gun if you gave it to me.

I’ve heard some complaints on accuracy out of the x series, I don’t know but I think maybe I’ll just stick with T/C guns for now …….

Fit, finish, accuracy. Google it.

I emailed and asked CVA what kind of 100 yr accuracy to expect with an LR-X and he said 3”. Told me I would have to buy a paramount to get 1-1.5”.

I asked him what LR stood for?!?

You got a good one but there is a significant number of subpar ones. Esp in 45 cal.

If you have the budget for a custom gun I'd have one built. I pieced one together using parts from Arrowhead and Hankins a couple of years ago. It's a tack driver. With minimal load development and Pittman bullets it shoots reliably under 1 MOA out to 500+ yards. Most groups are closer to 1/2 MOA. Utah doesn't allow smokeless even though my gun will handle it. I get 2400 fps with the Blackhorn and 300 grain bullets. Puts a grin on my face every time I shoot it. Previously I had a T/C Omega which I liked, but the scope mounting setup is not very robust. Probably would be fine for a small red dot though.

I shoot a .50 caliber MRX. It is a great shooter. Easy to get a load for and to take care of. Mine is really good. I haven't heard of the issues in the .50 that some of the .45 have had.

FH

I shoot a .50 caliber MRX. It is a great shooter. Easy to get a load for and to take care of. Mine is really good. I haven't heard of the issues in the .50 that some of the .45 have had.

FH
The 45 is what I’ve read about with the issues ……..

For those wanting more info I suggest you go to modern muzzleloading website. This is a great site for Mulies / elk. But that site has guys who shoot almost every day and know their stuff

What about the MRX in 50 cal? Any horror stories or solid wins out of that one?

I don’t care about long range, but if I were to buy a new muzzy I’d like to get something I could rely on out to 200-250 yards. A 3 inch group at 100 yards at the range isn’t what I’d consider reliable if that is the best one can expect.

What about the MRX in 50 cal? Any horror stories or solid wins out of that one?

I don’t care about long range, but if I were to buy a new muzzy I’d like to get something I could rely on out to 200-250 yards. A 3 inch group at 100 yards at the range isn’t what I’d consider reliable if that is the best one can expect.
Have you looked at the TC Encore?
You can buy different rifle caliber barrels and also shotgun barrels for it.

TC Encore with a preferred rifle barrel shooting a 300 grain prefitted bullet. Arrow head rifles also puts them together. This muzzleloader of mine shoots better groups then a lot of my rifles and shoots out past 500 yards pretty well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom