CVA ACCURA LRX

mcbrady22

I have a CVA ACCURA LRX .45cal that I am really trying to get dialed in this year for my dads limited entry deer hunt.

I have been trying blackhorn 209 powder with powerbelt elr 285gr bullets but not getting as good of groups as I was hoping for (maybe my expectations are too high)

I am still messing around with different powder charge weights

any tips or tricks?

Ditch the Powerbelts.

What charge weights are you trying?

Those Barnes 195s are just about perfect for deer IMO.

I've heard good things about the ELR bullets from my friend who like PowerBelts, but I won't touch anything with the PowerBelt brand.

Last fall, I watched a buck (shown below) take two traditional PowerBelt bullets (@ 75 & 180 yards). He went over the hill and got shot by another hunter while I was looking for blood after my dad shot him the first two times. I only found a few drops of blood.

20220928_092411.jpg

I'm a fan of the Hornady Bore-Driver bullets (shown below). They are a full bore bullet that I chase with two 60 grain magnum pellets out of a CVA Optima.

My buck last year went <15 feet and I found the bullet under the skin on the off side from where I shot him. He absorbed every drop of energy from that bullet and it tore him apart inside.

20221002_074117.jpg

Good luck finding your mix. And, good luck this fall.

How bad are the groups. Powerbelts are generally accurate on paper.

Wonder about the fact that this is a 45 cal X gun? There have been issues with accuracy. The answer I got when I asked CVA about accuracy in this exact gun was I should expect 2.5” at 100 yards. Uh, just no!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom