CVA Accura on order

pls009

After practicing and cleaning and cleaning my old T/C Black Diamond, I've made the plunge to retire my old gun and after reading all of the positive posts about the Accura have decided to order one. I'm hoping to chase Elk this year in Colorado. I ordered some No Excuses and also have some 370 Maxi balls left over from my T/C. I bought some BH 209. Anybody having any good groups with conical's out there? I read that TXhunter (Hope I have the name right) was shooting the FPB 350 with success. I'm just looking for some short cut's so that I don't feel that I need to buy every bullet at the store.

One more question - Do you guy's clean the breach plugs with nitro solvent when using BH 209 also - I mean do you just put some solvent on a rag and wipe the plug or do you need to soak in a solution for some time?

you can let the Plug sit in hoppes while you clean the rifle. Also use it in the bore. I love my Accura! My best shooting loads are the 245,338 platinum and 348gr powerbelts with 80 to 100gr pyrodex rs. The platinums i noticed hold a slight edge over the copper series.

Still experimenting with conicals but im betting you'll have really good luck with the 370gr maxi balls.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-09 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]I know some have said brake cleaner works well on the breech plug, but so far I do as FG and let is soak in Hoppes #9 while I am cleaning the barrel. However, you generally have some build up in the flame channel (on the primer side of the breech). For my Omega and Knight LRH, I use a 1/8 inch drill to ream it out.

Although I have not used them, I believe that you couldn't do better for elk than the 460 gr no excuses.

That said, I am not sure how they or the maxiballs would work with BH 209. BH requires a compression type fit to work effectively. That is why sabots do well. The Maxiballs and no excuses I have used required very little pressure to seat and I think they would not stay that tight on top of the powder. If I wanted to use these bullets, I would probably stick with 777 or pyrodex.

That is one of the reason I use the Hornady FPB. Very snug fit and you can put some pressure when seating it on top of BH 209. Powerbelts might work ok as well, but I have not tried them.

The new Thor bullet looks promising too.

My stepson was shooting 1 & 1/2 to 2 & 1/2 inch groups this weekend with my Omega, 90 gr of BH 209, and the Hornady FPB. And that is open sights at 100 yards. Probably a fluke that we can't duplicate often, but they do work well and I have full confidence in the bullet as an elk load.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The FPB will be my elk/deer load when I hunt Colorado.Plenty accurate enough for a hunting bullet,I shoot the bullet over 90 grains of Pyrodex.

Thanks for the info guy's! I didn't realize that the Maxi's and No Excuses might not work so great with BH 209 - great to know. I'll pick up some PFB's. Another question - this is my first time using 209 primers - I bought some CCI 209M's to work with the BH 209 - If I start using Pryro RS with the Maxi's and No Excuses to see how they group - Do I need to use the 209 Primers that are marketed for the muzzy's or can I use the standard shotshell primers still? Thanks.

You should be OK with the 209M and pyrodex, but if you decide to use 777, you need to get the reduced power 209s.

txhunter58

209m will work fine with RS in the Accura. You probably will have to swab between shots though. I use 777 primers but they are filthy! The cci 209m's are clean as a whistle.

I am ready to buy one too. Just waiting on AZ draw to post then my Knight Bighorn gets retired. Probably get it at Cabela's with my points.

The UPS dude just dropped off the new Accura. I'm reading the owners manual - don't tell my wife. It say's not to use lead conical bullets over 400 grain - I wonder why. I have some 460 No Excuses that I want to try with Pyro RS - Anybody out there tried the No Excuse bullet with their CVA Accura yet?

One more question - They talk about the extended ram rod. I'm assuming in order to extend the ram rod - you have to tread on part of the breach plug tool? I've been looking this over and over trying to figure out how it extended. If that's the case - I'll have to remember to take it out in the field with me. Seems like it will take longer in case another shot opportunity presents itself. Am I missing something?

You should not have any trouble shooting the 460 gr No excuses. However, I would lower your powder charge. I would start at 80 gr, then go up in 5 gr increments until you find the sweet spot. 100 gr would be my absolute max with that big of a bullet. Beyond that I am not sure what the pressures would be and I just don't like to get hammmered by recoil that hard!

Don't know what to tell you about the ramrod.

txhunter58

Yes, In order to swab the barrel with the factory ramrod you will need your breech plug tool and it threads onto your ramrod for a handle. The factory ramrod is really intended for field use (reloading after you shoot at game).

If you plan on swabbing between shots and loading, ect. You will need to buy yourself a Range rod that will be longer and just intended for range use. If you're shooting BH209, you'll never have to swab between shots in the field. CVA sells a great ramrod for around $12- $14 thats flexy plastic. I have 2 of these strictly for cleaning my rifles. They do excellent to replace the aluminum ramrod as well because they are quiet. Thats one thing i hate about Aluminum ramrods is the noise they make.

Heres a small video showing you how to operate the extendable ramrod and such. Sometimes its just easier to show it than to explain it LOL.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom