CVA Eclipse ???

huntswnm

I just borrowed a CVA Eclipse for a deer hunt with my brother-in law. When I got the gun there is some obvious rust residue in the barrell and the 209 primer area seems to have alot of fouling around the housing. I am planning on spending some time on cleaning it. Any tips? Also, anyone have experience with this gun and any suggestions on what loads to start of with?
THanks
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Hopefully you told the owner of that gun that the barrel was rusted before even touching it.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Oh yeah, he knew it before I even borrowed it. I knew it before I borrowed it. Actually after about an hour with it last night and almost a whole bottle of solvent/lubricant it came out looking pretty good. I can't even see any pitting in the barrel like I was expecting. Now to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots.
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Inspect that ML often. That model has been at the top of CVA rifle complaints/mishaps.

No intention to scare you -- just let you to know to check for breechplug thread cracks, breechplug wall cracks/enlarged flashholes, plunger-action slide engagement.. etc. Always make double-sure your powder & bullet are fully seated -- plus stay at 100 grains or less for safe measures.

Enjoy your hunt & hope you're successful.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Thanks for the heads up. That is somewhat of a concern for sure. Do you have any comment as to my #2 question posted as to the open breach model? and what that means?
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom