CVA Northwest HELP!

Lien2

Very Active Member
I am going on an elk hunt in Washington and purchased the CVA Northwest muzzleloader to be legal in that state. I can't get it to fire more than once!
Attached is a picture of the cci musket cap I am using. After the initial shot, the cap goes off but not hot enough to fire. I clean the breech plug with a drill bit and torch tip file after each shot, plus clean the barrel.
I have made the 30 minute drive to the range 3 times and have fired a total of 4 shots. This morning, after thoroughly cleaning and soaking everything over the weekend, I was able to fire ONE SHOT, then had 4 hangfires in a row, packed up and drove home.
What musket caps is everyone using?!?! RWS? So frustrated right now with this set up. Also shooting Hodgdon Triple 7 powder.

87702cvaprimer.jpg

From what you're explaining, it seems to me you are using too much cleaning solvent after your first shot. Try shooting two to three times in a row without swabing, then use a very lightly dampened patch to swab the barrel. As far as the nipple, I'm not familiar with your rifle, but I don't believe you need to clean with anything until cleaning at the end of the range day.

Sounds Like a Gun that'll make You a Damn Good Shot knowing you only have one of them!:D

Back Me Off to 1,700 Yards,650 is a Little Close & I'm Not Comfortable with it!

A GUT SHOT at 1,700 Yards will Still Make Some Good BRAGGIN Rights so I Can Say I At Least Hit Him!

90087hankjr.jpg

>From what you're explaining, it seems
>to me you are using
>too much cleaning solvent after
>your first shot. Try shooting
>two to three times in
>a row without swabing, then
>use a very lightly dampened
>patch to swab the barrel.
>As far as the nipple,
>I'm not familiar with your
>rifle, but I don't believe
>you need to clean with
>anything until cleaning at the
>end of the range day.
>

Mutley, the reason I started cleaning was because it wouldn't fire two shots in a row with little or no cleaning. I've tried every combination of cleaning, or lack thereof, and nothing has worked. These aren't 209 primers, but musket caps and loose powder that make a heck or a mess.

RWS 1081 musket caps are far superior to the CCI brand on my opinion. See if you can find someone close by you can buy or beg some from to try.
If you were in my town I have some.

Okay, just an idea from my experience using a Hawken rifle and percussion caps for many years. I had prblems from time to time as well, but I found my problem was caused by too much solvent when swabbing. No fun pulling a Great Plains conical...holy &^%$. I agree with the other poster about the caps, try another brand and maybe new powder. It's got to be one of the two.

Good luck

You might try firing popping a cap to be sure the flame channel is clear and then reloading iv never had to do this but it may do the trick for ya idk.

Don't know about the Newer CVA's?

But My First Muzz was/Is a CVA Hawken!

Both Me & My Friend bought identical Guns the same exact time!

Mine when loaded with Pyrodex was like Shooting a Flintlock!

Delayed/Relayed Ignition every time!

My Friends Gun Would Fire just Fine with Pyrodex!

Mine didn't Like anything but BLACK NASTY GOEX 3fff Powder!

We compared the Nipple Diameters/I Bought a New Nipple & Same BS!

Started using the Stinking/Smoking Black Powder & Never looked back!

I'd get some & Try it if I were you!

Or get some Fresher/Different Powder & Try that!

Just because You mighta bought it thinking it was Fresh doesn't mean it's Fresh!

I'd Try another Nipple/Breech Plug as Well!

Back Me Off to 1,700 Yards,650 is a Little Close & I'm Not Comfortable with it!

A GUT SHOT at 1,700 Yards will Still Make Some Good BRAGGIN Rights so I Can Say I At Least Hit Him!

90087hankjr.jpg

Thanks guys.
I am shooting loose powder.
I have both RWS 1081 musket caps and 1075 percussion caps on the way. Holy smokes..........after hazmat fee and shipping, it's $100 for like 300 caps.
If this doesn't work, I am going to look into changing out my T/C Triumph breech plug to accept caps instead of 209 primers.

I've shot the same cap and powder as you with no ignition problems. The original RWS 'top hat' style musket caps seemed to ignite just as well. I shot a whole tin of the RWS with great results and a whole tin of the CCI with great results. The only misfire I've had was caused by the gun getting wet in a rain storm. When you swab between shots, use one patch slightly damp with water or muzz solvent followed by a dry patch. When I say slightly damp I mean you couldn't squeeze a drop of moisture out of a patch. At the range or hunting I have two small zip lock bags with each type of patch (wet/dry). I also use a long range rod and palm saver when shooting at the range just seems to make things easier when shooting multiple shots. When hunting I used ramrod on the gun. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-17 AT 07:33PM (MST)[p]A good product to just dampen your swabbing patch with is Windex. It evaporates quickly. You should not get much of a crud ring with percussion caps and Triple 7 powder. Nothing like you get with 209 shotshell primers.
You definitely don't want the swabbing patch dripping wet.

Lien2
I keep coming back to this thread and issue. As mentioned by Elkassassin, it might pay to look at the nipple on this rifle. The flash hole may be to small.
At minimum I would expect the flash hole in the nipple to measure .028 - .029, at maximum I would expect it to not measure more than .033 - .035. Bigger than .035 or so would let to much back pressure come back through the nipple/breech plug, that could allow for a very dirty rifle and fouling build up. Too small isn't good either.

If you don't have pin gauges to measure with you could buy a couple number drill bits at the hardware store to use. A #70 drill is .028 in diameter and a #65 is .035 in diameter.

Some of the new percussion cap nipples can have small diameter flash holes which impede the fire of the cap from reaching the powder. Add a bit of fouling from shot number 1 and maybe you can't get the fire to the powder any longer.

Let us know if any thing works.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom