CVA or Traditions?

D

_droptine_

If your only choices were these two, which rifle would you choose?

archeryicon1.gif
_droptine_
archeryicon12.gif

My first inline was a CVA hunter bolt. It is a great guns I have had it a few years and it does just fine. It is really dependable and is a great shooter. They are easy to clean and maintain. The only thing that I dont like about the gun is the ram rod holder is plastic and I had it break once. But the replacement part was there in days for free. So they have great customer service and they are fast. My new hunting gun is a Knight master hunter. It is a great gun but the cva and the knight shot pretty much the same. There is just a big price difference about $600. My dad just got into blackpowder and bought a traditions inline and it has been a great gun also but he has only had it for a few months. Hope this helps.

I just got a CVA Firebolt today. I am lapping the barrel right now. Go to http://www.cva.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi and you will find some information. This gun looks good and is not my first, I own a Knight Bighorn. Most people who bash CVA have either no experience with them or the older ones. Do your homework and make up your mind based on your findings and what fits your needs.

Bluelk,

I'm curious as to why you don't like CVA...I know you have been at this quite a bit longer than I have and you know more than most of us put together...

Thanks,
John

All,
I should have worded my question differently. I would like to try muzzleloader hunting next year, but I am limited to about $250 to get started. It seams that the only thing with a barrel longer than 22" in this price range is either cva or traditions. What would you recommend in that range? I am open to buying a used gun.

archeryicon1.gif
_droptine_
archeryicon12.gif

droptine: With the budget you have I would do some serious looking for a good used T/C, Lyman Great Plains, or an inline. Go over to www.realtree.com, click on "Community" and look under the various forums until you find "Classifieds". There are some really good rifles on there. I know most of the guys who are selling them and the rifles are good. If you find something you like, email me and I will check out the rifle for you.

Let me know how you come out.

I started out 2 years ago with a Traditions lightning bolt 1:32 twist with 24 in barrel. The gun is not a bad shooter also is fairly well made. But I bought a Remington and it is a nicer gun built better and more accurate. I paid about 180.00 for the traditions and 450.00 for the Remington. You get what you pay for. Some people dont mind the lesser quality and then there are a lot of people who are like myself and just can not stand hunting/ shooting with out having the best tools avalible for the job. Just like a good mechanic, does not buy lower quality tools, which will work but might not last as long etc.

Droptine
You knew I'd have to comment on this. You can't argue to much with my success with a Traditions, more than a dozen book animals have hit the dirt with the CHEAP little gun. For less than $200 you can't go wrong. People don't understand. If you don't have the money, YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY!!! I hate it when people say "save a little longer, get an extra job," blah blah blah. Thats all a load of bullsh*t. You don't have to get the most expensive gun in the shop to do the job, and I'm living proof. I would never, ever by the top of the line anything because you are just paying for the name in most cases, thats a fact. I don't own Swarovski this or Cadillac that. Shop around, find a mid priced gun, Traditions, CVA or otherwise and get it. No offense to anyone here but if you think because you buy the highest priced hunting equipment it'll make you a better hunter, your wrong. Every year I see hunters in the field with their $1000 binoculars and $3000 dollar guns and just laugh at them as I walk by the with my $300 rifle, $200 binocular and a big buck strapped to my packframe.......

I have to agree with DK. If you don't have the money to spend then get the best that you can afford. In most cases you pay for the name. I would get either one. Both will work fine, with a little care. If you have a problem send it back. If you don't like it, save for a couple of years and get one you will like. In the mean time you have a muzzy to shot stuff with.

BS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom