CVA V2 issues

Riggo

Loads were Hornady FPB 300 gr with 90 gr BH209 and Remington muzzle primers. The first session went good after i remembered which way with the open sights to point of impact--however the second session was 3 hang-fires out of a dozen shots. Wow!! can't have that-bout to leave for CO. Anyway, talked with BH209 and they're saying i need a new redesigned breech fro CVA and to use "magnum" primers from CCI or Federal. Called customer service at CVA and 2 things- They pretty much blamed BH and that these new breech plugs are 10-14 days out. Thoughts would be appreciated from all or if anyone has onwe of these please holler and hopeful for a trade. By the way the gun shoots great with this load but doesn't always fire perfectlly. Thanks in advance!! Riggo

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]Muzzleloading primers are not hot enough. You need primers that are hot. CCI 209 magnums will be your best bet.

You also need a 3mm or #32 drill bit to clean the breech plugs flash channel out after every 6 shots or so. Its a tiny restrictive hole and builds up with carbon quickly.

Heres some adjustments you should make to your head space as well:
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/cva-muzzle-loaders-keepem-clean.html

Head Space adjustment video:

Its a very simple process and you'll have no trouble after you get the CCI Mag primers and make the head space adjustments. BH209 requires hot gasses to make it go off reliably and when you are getting blow by from around the primer to the point that they are black, you just lost all of your pressure and hot gasses, which then resulted in a hang fire. Any time you get a hang fire, you MUST reseat the projectile! A 209 primer can easily push the bullet 6 to 9" off of the powder charge and if the powder decides to go off, you got a reeeeal problem then.

www.FrontierMuzzleloadin.powerguild.net

Had a simmilar problem with my cva and bh powder. Tried all of the suggestions from gander and tex which was helpful. What I found to be my problem was I was not seating the powder and bullet firm enough. Since I have been making sure that everything is down tight I have not had any problems. Except when I thought I was missing and found out I was hitting the same hole! Have fun in Colorado. I would do what they suggest and make sure you r seated firmly.

I want to re-emphasize about cleaning out the rear breech plug pocket with a drill bit. Did you do that? If not, that was a major contributor to your hangfires. Carbon builds up in the channel and restricts how much fire gets to the powder.

You have to do the other things, but if you don't drill out the carbon you will still get hangfires.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom