CWD in Wyoming

jims

Long Time Member
Here's a link to a recent update on the WG&F website in regard to CWD testing and prevalence the past 3 years in Wyoming.

There were 6701 deer tested in 2022 with 826 positive cases (12%).
In 2021 there were 6884 tested and 839 positives (12%).
In 2020 there were 6496 tested and 829 positives (13%).

"Wyoming Game and Fish’s CWD surveillance program focuses on different deer and elk herd units each year. Additionally, the number of positives is proportional to the prevalence of CWD in the particular herd unit surveyed."

“We can say that the prevalence of CWD is slowly increasing in many deer and elk herd units in the state,” Jennings-Gaines said. “The western half of Wyoming has several deer hunt areas where CWD has not been detected, however the disease continues to spread west and was detected in two new deer and five new elk hunt areas last year.”

Similar to Colorado where CWD was first detected over 40 years ago, there are healthy deer doing just fine and well in the worse CWD hotspots. There are still healthy mature bucks found in Colorado units where CWD first was detected, even though the CWD's current recommendation is to place hunting pressure on older age class bucks with rut rifle season dates. My guess is that older age class bucks carry the best genetics in the herd with possibly resistance to disease. Why the heck place more hunting pressure on older age class bucks?

My guess is that live deer "carriers" with CWD that potentially were weaker in health may have died in areas this winter in Wyoming that had extreme winter conditions and winterkill. It will be interesting to see if the CWD prevalence rates decrease in those units this coming year. In one respect, the tough winter in SW Wyoming may be a blessing? CWD prions last in the soil for years and years so a tough winter may just delay the inevitable spread.

It isn't surprising that CWD continues to slowly spread in Wyoming and there were 2 new units with positives. The sky isn't falling down and there still has never been epidemic losses of deer anywhere in Wyoming, Colorado, or across the United States from CWD.

Sometimes mother nature has ways to overcome sickness, weakness, and disease (tough winters, predators, resistance, improved health of does/fawns, etc).

Last edited:
Looks like the last three years of data is flat. How do we know that CWD is 100% fatal? How do we know that it hasn’t always existed in some way or form. If all we sample is dead deer, there is no way to find out if deer can live with it. Until they actually test live deer in a decent sample number and then monitor the live deer that are positive over their life span will we really know what is going on. Currently there are no studies or research that show that deer could possibly get CWD and live a long healthy life with it with no affect on them. All they say is that it’s 100% fatal. If all the deer you test are dead, then it’s an easy thing to say and come up with. If the 800 or so deer for the last three years that tested positive had not been shot, how can we say they would have died of it for sure? Absolutely no proof or science to back that. Until live deer are tested and then monitored will we ever really know what is going on. Just keep throwing money at it and just keep killing all the mature bucks with extra long seasons during the rut and it will be sure to disappear! Ya right!!! NOT!!!

this article was posted in our local newspaper awhile back. game and fish said these stats prove numbers are increasing. I couldn't stand reading it. they use the data to back a crisis.

By the WG&F numbers, prevalence overall is pretty flat. The numbers they provide are sampled from a different set of units each year. Obviously, the prevalence of cwd is higher in some units compared to others. The total positive CWD numbers really depend upon which units are sampled.

There actually was a fairly lengthy cwd study on live mule deer conducted in the Estes Park Valley years ago. I have referenced it several times. The prevalence of cwd didn’t statistically decrease even when 1/2 of the live deer in that herd were darted, had tonsils sampled, collared, and tested. The positive tested deer were then re-located by radio collars and killed. This same procedure where 1/2 of the herd in the Estes Valley was tested and positive cwd deer killed took place for the length of the study.

The results and conclusions pretty much mention that it is impossible to eliminate cwd even if every cwd live mule deer is eliminated since prions last in the soil for years and years. CWD prions will continue to survive in the soil and spread even with the most extreme culling practices!

The CPW discontinued culling deer projects about the time this study was terminated. What amazes me is the recent claims by the CPW that late rifle rut hunts and increasing tags will prevent or decrease the prevalence and spread of CWD has no revalence. Ultimately, the CPW claims aren't true. We all learned a great deal from the Estes Park Valley study, yet these facts are ignored?

Unfortunately, the CPW will likely claim that their aggressive strategy of late rut rifle seasons and increasing tags worked if CWD positive deer numbers decrease this coming year. In reality, the tough winter likely helped control the sick and weak deer!

Anyone that has spent time monitoring mule deer in the hotbeds of where CWD started 40+ years ago is aware that there never has been a catastrophic die-off and older age class bucks and does live long, healthy lives. Whether this is from cwd resistant alleles or what ever, there are healthy deer that survive cwd even in the heart of where prions have been in the soil and accumulated for over 40 years!

After 40+ years of cwd prion accumulation in soils don't you think every deer would be dead if cwd was truly fatal?

The facts are that tough winters and predators are actually a mule deer's bitter-sweet best friend! The verdict in regard to cwd resistant alleles is still possible and in the works.

Last edited:
The Laramie Range is the next target for G&F to propose late Nov & Dec hunts to reduce numbers of mature bucks. Forget the fact the prevalence rate in the area has dropped almost in half, according to the Lab in Laramie.

By the WG&F numbers, prevalence overall is pretty flat. The numbers they provide are sampled from a different set of units each year. Obviously, the prevalence of cwd is higher in some units compared to others. The total positive CWD numbers really depend upon which units are sampled.

There actually was a fairly lengthy cwd study on live mule deer conducted in the Estes Park Valley years ago. I have referenced it several times. The prevalence of cwd didn’t statistically decrease even when 1/2 of the live deer in that herd were darted, had tonsils sampled, collared, and tested. The positive tested deer were then re-located by radio collars and killed. This same procedure where 1/2 of the herd in the Estes Valley was tested and positive cwd deer killed took place for the length of the study.

The results and conclusions pretty much mention that it is impossible to eliminate cwd even if every cwd live mule deer is eliminated since prions last in the soil for years and years. CWD prions will continue to survive in the soil and spread even with the most extreme culling practices!

The CPW discontinued culling deer projects about the time this study was terminated. What amazes me is the recent claims by the CPW that late rifle rut hunts and increasing tags will prevent or decrease the prevalence and spread of CWD has no revalence. Ultimately, the CPW claims aren't true. We all learned a great deal from the Estes Park Valley study, yet these facts are ignored?

Unfortunately, the CPW will likely claim that their aggressive strategy of late rut rifle seasons and increasing tags worked if CWD positive deer numbers decrease this coming year. In reality, the tough winter likely helped control the sick and weak deer!

Anyone that has spent time monitoring mule deer in the hotbeds of where CWD started 40+ years ago is aware that there never has been a catastrophic die-off and older age class bucks and does live long, healthy lives. Whether this is from cwd resistant alleles or what ever, there are healthy deer that survive cwd even in the heart of where prions have been in the soil and accumulated for over 40 years!

After 40+ years of cwd prion accumulation in soils don't you think every deer would be dead if cwd was truly fatal?

The facts are that tough winters and predators are actually a mule deer's bitter-sweet best friend! The verdict in regard to cwd resistant alleles is still possible and in the works.
Good info here, but once again the deer that tested positive were relocated and KILLED. They need to have the ones that test positive left alone to see what it or if it is fatal. Im still skeptical that deer with CWD are not all just getting sick and dieing. We have no proof or data that tells us that it is 100% fatal like everyone wants us to believe. Sure some do get sick and die but until proven otherwise, I believe many have it and live long lives and die of natural causes. If this is not so, prove it to me otherwise.

I'm trying to fight this insane management. The G and F late season justification for killing the older bucks in November is not based on sound science or successful precedents. It is bad management.

The G and F Commission is meeting in Wheatland on July 18-19. The late season hunts are in that agenda. They just have not informed us which day just yet.

Here are a couple of slides from a power point I made and presented. The data and the red/maroon line are from a G and F slide presented by their biologists. The blue and green lines I added to show what CWD has done in the Laramie Range. Disease incidence is way down from its peak in 2007. As usual,managers are way late and reacting improperly.

I would encourage everyone to speak up and help stop these seasons. And if anyone can come to Wheatland in July, please do so. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not real tech savvy and these are just cell phone pics of my slides. I can email the pics to someone if they want to upload them in a better fashion. I know JM77 has the power point so maybe he can put them up so they look better.

Thanks to all.

20230629_132104.jpg

20230629_132120.jpg

I should also mention that the data presented by G&F is incorrect. Their slide (and data) says the herd infection rate for CWD is 19.5% in 2022. That is NOT TRUE. Bucks harvested were 19.5%. Does harvested were right at 8%. If the buck/doe ratio is 30-40%, then the overall infection rate is around 12%. I used 38 bucks to 100 does, didn't count fawns in the population and came up with a 12% herd infection rate using the G&F figures.

So the actual herd infection rate is about 12%, NOT the 19.5% as presented by G&F.

The information they presented to the public is incorrect and misleading. It actually makes me wonder what it really was in the other years in their slide. If one year is not correct, are the other years of data also "massaged" to strengthen their argument for late season hunts?

That means less than one in 8 deer has CWD at present. And the rate of infection is decreasing.

Makes no sense to kill an additional 100 deer if only 12 of them actually have CWD. I don't see how that will help the situation in any way. Even if we kill bucks only, more than 80% of the bucks killed will not have CWD. How on earth can that help????

I'm not sure if it helps but here is a link to the Estes Valley study where they captured and tested approximately 1/2 of the deer herd and culled those that tested positive to CWD from 2002 to 2007.

I found the comments below in the discussion section interesting:

"Although we detected some infected individuals well before clinical signs would have been discernible to a predator, at the herd level our testing effort likely was not as persistent or effective as that of natural predators. Our findings could lend credence to the potential role of predation−of sufficiently high intensity and duration−in helping suppress CWD outbreaks if CWD-positive individuals are preferentially targeted by predators (Wild et al. 2011)."

Here's another interesting article that was published in Pederson's Bowhunting titled "Promising New CWD research." It pretty much is testament that killing older age class mule deer bucks with the best genetic material in the herd may actually be doing more harm than good! The article is in reference to whitetails but I'm certain the same things could be true with mule deer.

"In his research published in 2020, Texas A&M University researcher Dr. Christopher Seabury revealed CWD is in fact heritable. In other words, an individual deer’s susceptibility to the disease is inherited, through genetic material, from its parents. As a result, some individuals are more durable when presented with the prion proteins that cause CWD, and these are the animals nature will select for as disease prevalence increases. This suggests reacting to CWD by aggressively removing all animals from the landscape, or depopulating farmed herds, could cause more harm than good by indiscriminately killing individuals highly resistant to CWD."
"Scientists have been through a strikingly similar process with a closely related disease in sheep, first recognized in the 18th century, known as scrapie. Scrapie is one of the very few reasonable explanations for the origin of CWD. The sheep scrapie program employed similar genetic technology as that used by Seabury, with similar reduced prevalence rates. The nationwide scrapie eradication program has resulted in a reduction in scrapie prevalence of roughly 85 percent!"

In Haley’s 2021 paper, he and his fellow researchers reported, “Tremendous progress was made towards reaching our primary objective: reducing the frequency of highly susceptible variants and increasing the frequency of less susceptible variants.”

"Considering two years have passed since the researchers first reported their results, I decided to go to the owners of the farm and get an update on their progress. Co-owner Greg Flees reports, “So far, the results have been very encouraging.” Flees went on to say that while the farm has seen significant CWD infection among deer with the most susceptible genetic traits, other deer with traits identified as being highly resistant to CWD are thriving."

Flees continued to report on the results of their breeding program with optimism. “On one of our properties where CWD got bad from 2016-2018 we have seen amazing results,” he said. “We were able to eliminate the last highly susceptible animal from this property in 2021.”

"Thanks to this genetic research by Seabury and Haley, we now know there are scientifically verified genetic mechanisms that reduce CWD susceptibility in whitetails. While this incredible research is being conducted in captive deer facilities, it does offer a sneak peak of how Mother Nature is likely to manage CWD in free-ranging deer. With captive deer and genetic testing at their disposal, Seabury and Haley were able to speed up the timeline significantly, but their research and the breeding practices it has spawned is tangible evidence that nature has a long-term road map for dealing with CWD and ensuring the long-term survival of whitetails."

"The long-term survival of a species is a function of that species’ ability to adapt to environmental changes and diseases. As bowhunters, we are well aware whitetails are extremely resilient, highly adaptable creatures. I have no doubt natural selection will work favorably for whitetails. In the meantime, advanced research with modern technology helps provide clues about what’s in store for the most popular game animal in North America. Thanks to these pioneers, we now know that the future of CWD and whitetails can be found deep inside the genetic material of every single whitetail on the landscape."

That Seabury study is a good one. I have the Seabury research quoted in my power point I presented to G&F, as well as some of the CO info that counters the current Wyo G&F position.

There's also a Nebraska study that showed up to 8% of the Laramie Range deer had genetic resistance in 2005.

Both of those studies brought two responses when I presented the info to the Wyo G&F:

1. There is NO GENETIC RESISTANCE. All mule deer get CWD and all mule deer die from it. (Their position, not my words.)
2. There is no live test for CWD and there is no genetic test for CWD resistance. This response, even though other states have been doing that work for years, and those results are published in refereed scientific journals. .

Those two responses tell you how difficult is it to deal with this situation. Their minds are closed and made up. The only answer they can conceive is to kill all the bucks on late season hunts and they are unwilling to open their minds to other alternatives.

This also shows we can not deal with these folks directly. We will have to get others to listen. I hope the Commission has open minds.

Great points made here, ever since this nonsense came up about hunter harvest of older age class bucks as a control measure, I’ve claimed there’s no way to “select” infected individuals through hunting the way hard winters and predators can. Sure seems like an ignorant idea, but these agencies sure are latching onto this idea

Searching through the literature there actually are at least 3 current methods for detecting CWD in live deer. 1) tonsils, 2) rectal, and 3) feces.

Here's an interesting published article comparing rectal and feces:

Here is an overview:

"CWD is a prion disease that affects the members of the family Cervidae and is unique in that it is the only prion disease to affect wild and free-ranging animals. CWD infection has spread through a combination of anthropomorphic events and the natural free range of animals to 30 US States and 3 Canadian Provinces. New cases of CWD have also been discovered in Norway, Finland, and Sweden. In spite of the concerted effort, CWD continues to manifest in new territory each year. Many previous studies on CWD have used point source inoculation of CWD in a laboratory setting to determine disease course, tissue distribution, and potential tissues suitable for live animal testing. Here, we examined WTD that have acquired CWD infection in a more natural setting as opposed to being experimentally infected within a farmed cervid environment. We explored the suitability of using RAMALT and feces collected from WTD at postmortem by RT-QuIC with implications that these samples, if they show similar sensitivity and specificity, can help improve antemortem testing in the future. Moreover, due to the depopulation of the herd, we were able to compare our test directly with postmortem official testing performed at NVSL. We achieved a sensitivity of 85.7% with RAMALT tissue and 60% with feces. Specificity for RAMALT tissue was 100% but has previously been an issue with fecal samples. Revision of the testing protocol for feces produced a specificity of 100%. This study provides key insight into the utility of RT-QuIC and shows future possibilities of evaluating CWD with sample collection that can be carried out in live animals and can become an important tool to better monitor CWD infections in farmed settings."

I get concerned when there is "scientific consensus", be it COVID, Climate Change, or CWD.

Since killing off deer to combat CWD hasn't worked, perhaps just maybe, one state should try NOT following the unsuccessful results of all the others?

Haha. We were live testing mule deer for CWD nearly 19 years ago. In our collared deer we would use a rectal sample. It would go away for testing and if a deer test positive the next helicopter work we would kill the deer.

In the doe fawn population we would see less than 2% infection rates, then in the buck population we would see like 12% in mature harvested bucks. The CPW only looked at the Buck infection rate completely ignored the doe. When you accounted for all the doe we tested it ended up being some place around 3-4%….

Elks96, The live deer rectal CWD testing you mentioned sounds very similar to the study done in the Estes Valley where tonsil tests were used.

Do you happen to know if all the rectal testing data you mentioned is published somewhere? You mentioned the CPW, so I’m guessing this was conducted in Colorado somewhere?

To my knowledge, the CPW hasn’t been too terribly excited about results from any type of CWD culling projects whether it was large scale culling or culling live deer that tested positive? None of the culling has significantly reduced the CWD spread or impacted long-term concentrations of CWD prions in the soil.

If large-scale culling or live deer testing/harvesting positive tested deer doesn’t work how on earth will late season rut hunts reduce or prevent the spread of CWD? Just doesn’t make any kind of sense!

Elks96, The live deer rectal CWD testing you mentioned sounds very similar to the study done in the Estes Valley where tonsil tests were used.

Do you happen to know if all the rectal testing data you mentioned is published somewhere? You mentioned the CPW, so I’m guessing this was conducted in Colorado somewhere?

To my knowledge, the CPW hasn’t been too terribly excited about results from any type of CWD culling projects whether it was large scale culling or culling live deer that tested positive? None of the culling has significantly reduced the CWD spread or impacted long-term concentrations of CWD prions in the soil.

If large-scale culling or live deer testing/harvesting positive tested deer doesn’t work how on earth will late season rut hunts reduce or prevent the spread of CWD? Just doesn’t make any kind of sense!
Clarify it was only about 10 years ago they were rectal testing the deer… Not 19… Typo.

If large-scale culling or live deer testing/harvesting positive tested deer doesn’t work how on earth will late season rut hunts reduce or prevent the spread of CWD? Just doesn’t make any kind of sense
Last I heard the data is tied up in court by the environmental whackos… the study was done by Chuck Anderson in Unit 22. He had the study where they did targeted predator removal and it’s affects on fawn survival. They showed a massive change in fawn survival rates when they did targeted removal of lions and bears in the fawning areas. Sadly the state is still being sued over the project at last I heard.

He was also doing research on the body scores conditions of deer in the oil and gas fields etc.

I just know that they were actively testing the collared deer for CWD by taking a small slice off the rectum, giving the deer a stitch or 2 and releasing. Then if any tested positive on the next flights they would net and then put it down. Any deer put Dow. We’re then hauled to the large predator research facility and fed to the mtn lions as part of research there…

A few people in the meeting room are not gonna change these peoples minds. A well spoken and thought out argument/plan apparently means nothing to them, when its only one person. It simply doesn't scare them.

How many people need to be present to open their eyes/ears, 300, 1000, 5000??

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom