CWD plan to kill mature buck mule deer with late season hunts.

hmmm according to what buzz posted over on hunt talk it sounds like the season changes are going to happen
no matter what the public says , he's pretty irate over it
his opinion was they are going to implement the changes no matter what anyone else thinks what i want to know is when did wyoming start hiring montane's biologist
kill um all and start over sounds like a good plan to me
Well seeing how they have not been able to raise populations overall in mule deer I don't think the starting over thing is going to work

Well seeing how they have not been able to raise populations overall in mule deer I don't think the starting over thing is going to work
Well nothing else seems to be working so why not give it a try might as well make it
An epic blow out that will be remembered for yrs

The prions will still be on the landscape so starting over isn't going to stop it
Well that seems to be exactly what they are attempting I know another state that tried the same thing with whitetails and for a little while it actually worked for about a year ,no deer tested positive in the unit because there were no deer in the unit left to test lol

Yes go to the proposed regulations and you can submit a comment for each species
will n/r comments actually help ?
buzz was asked this same question on hunt talk by randy newborn and buzz told him no it won't help i guess the people pushing this made it clear they will not compromise on any of it and they don't care who doesn't like it they will get it pushed through

will n/r comments actually help ?
buzz was asked this same question on hunt talk by randy newborn and buzz told him no it won't help i guess the people pushing this made it clear they will not compromise on any of it and they don't care who doesn't like it they will get it pushed through
Probably not much but it can't hurt

hmmm according to what buzz posted over on hunt talk it sounds like the season changes are going to happen
no matter what the public says , he's pretty irate over it
his opinion was they are going to implement the changes no matter what anyone else thinks
277057356_655903225493827_4902017872494145053_n.jpg

Buzz might be right, but they will be violating the Commission approved plan.

There is no documented proof that large-scale culling operations have prevent the spread and % of CWD in Colo. Where's the proof?

Colo is a prime example of late season and mass culling projects not working! The prions are still in the soil where they tried to wipe deer completely out of the first areas where CWD existed starting around 1985 near Red Feathers/Livermore area in Colo. CWD in Colo is relatively stable for the past 37+ years regardless of whether giant culling practices existed or not.

Back in the late 80's hunters were encouraged to harvest a deer. If successful they brought them into the Ft Collins CPW office to be tested for CWD and were immediately handed another tag to harvest another deer. Tags were issued on an unlimited basis for that particular area in Colo trying to totally eliminate deer in the high prevalence area. At that time when CWD was first found it was tested in less than 4% of the mule deer in the hottest spot near Ft Collins and Livermore. In 2021, around 10 to 20% of the bucks that were harvested tested positive to CWD in the hottest spot in Colo. The bucks harvested likely showed 0 symptoms of CWD when harvested and were likely healthy bucks.

Now it's 2022 and 37+ years after CWD was initially found the prevalence where they harvested mass numbers of deer remains relatively similar to what it was years before culling. There still aren't that many deer (if any) with CWD in the south central and southwestern corner of Colo. The prions are still in the soil 37-40+ years later and there is still a stable % of CWD present in the few deer that now exist in these areas on the Front Range.

Chronic wasting disease timeline​

1967: Wasting syndrome is observed in captive mule deer at the Colorado State University wildlife research facility in west Fort Collins.

1975−81: Wasting syndrome is observed in Toronto Zoo mule deer transferred from the Denver Zoo.

1979: Recognized in captive mule deer at Wyoming wildlife research facility.

1981: Detected in wild elk in Colorado.

1985: Detected in wild mule deer in Colorado and Wyoming.

1996: Detected in a captive elk farm in Saskatchewan; 38 other linked farms eventually found positive.

1997: Detected in captive elk facilities in South Dakota.

1998: Detected in captive elk facilities in Montana and Oklahoma.

1999: World Health Organization indicates no evidence CWD is transmissible to humans, but advises that exposure should be avoided.

2000: Detected in wild mule deer in Nebraska and Saskatchewan.

2002: Colorado establishes guidelines to minimize transport of high-risk carcass materials. First International CWD Symposium is held in Denver.

2002: Detected in captive elk in Minnesota, wild and captive white-tailed deer in Wisconsin and Illinois, mule deer in New Mexico and elk in South Dakota.

2003: Detected in wild mule deer in Utah.

2004: Detected in wild elk in New Mexico.

2005: Detected in moose in Colorado.

2008: Research indicates CWD may be a plausible explanation for local deer population declines in Colorado.

2010: Detected in captive white-tailed deer in Missouri and wild white-tailed deer in North Dakota and Virginia.

2016: Detected in wild elk and white-tailed deer in Arkansas and wild reindeer in Norway.

Below is a map of current % of CWD through Colo from harvest data. Top is both buck and deer % w/CWD in 2014. Bottom 2 are from 2021 for buck deer and elk. Keep in mind all of these deer were harvested and likely showed 0 synthons of CWD. Also they mention numerous times that there are approximately 5x more bucks than does that have CWD. They actually don't have CWD numbers in 2021 for both buck plus doe harvest numbers like they have in the 2014 map. My guess is the % are pretty close to the same as 2014 if does plus bucks were used in 2021.

Is there much difference in 2014 vs 2021? I guess I'll leave that up to you!

cwd 2014.jpg

2021 (Top map -Buck %, Bottom map - Elk %)
cwd march 2020_Page_2.jpg

Take a look at the following data from the CPW. This is the only wishy-washy data that the CPW has that supports harvesting high numbers of bucks and deer will decrease CWD. I'll leave it up to you to decide if this is enough data for wildlife managers across the Western US to initiate late season dates and increase tags to try to impact the spread and % of CWD.

I really don't believe this is enough data to come to any conclusions! From what I understand, this currently is the only data available for CWD mule deer in the Western US! This data seems mighty inconclusive and has a lot of unanswered questions to me! The deer harvested in these reports were also healthy and likely showed no sign of CWD.

cwd march 2020_Page_1.jpg

The problem is the type of hunter who posts on these and other forums make up a very small percentage of people who hunt. Your average hunter will look at the regs, see they can hunt deer in November, and be thrilled. The draw odds will reflect that, and the G&F will extrapolate that as “overwhelming” support for their proposals, and move forward.

In Colo, the increase in tags and late hunts is merely a ploy to sell more tags. Obviously hunters are excited about hunting rut rifle hunt dates. It's a lose-lose for Colo and Wyo mule deer!

I was told by a Game and Fish employee that the hunts are not going to happen in 2022. But he indicated they are "working toward" them in 2023.
If this is true than its good news... But i dont understand why they are set to be presented at the April season setting meeting later this month...

If this is true than its good news... But i dont understand why they are set to be presented at the April season setting meeting later this month...
It is true. They are being pulled like ICMDEER said. The G&F involved did a poor job getting it out and I honestly don't understand why anymore sportsman will favor this next year.

It is true. They are being pulled like ICMDEER said. The G&F involved did a poor job getting it out and I honestly don't understand why anymore sportsman will favor this next year.
Hunters need to stop this right now, but they won't. Watch what happens a couple years down the road. Wave goodbye to general deer imo.

Thank ICMDEER and jm77. I absolutely agree these late season hunts should be tabled for next season to.. We need to stay on top of this and make sure it doesnt go into affect...

I wouldn’t know where to look. But what is the prevalence of CWD in the areas of Wyoming where bucks are hunted in November? 119,128,125.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom