D-17 What the Hell

Gator

Long Time Member
I just got off the phone with DFG again, they was selling D-17 tags over the counter until they received a "e-mail" today stating that the remainer of the tags would go into the draw and cost you your Preference points. BUT the Hunters that brought the over-counter tags for D-17 could still try and draw a Premium tag but if you buy the tag tomorrow over the counter it will cost you your points. But because we didn't buy the tag last week before the e-mail we don't get the same deal. How can that be a deal that you swap horses in mid-stream. I didn't even get a kiss in the screwing. I wouldn't be hunting D-17 this year LOL
Only 48 tags left so hurry to the nearest DFG and get them brought.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

That is funny. Take your pick of California government run agency departments, go there and you'll find the same thing.

I just have to laugh at all these people who think we should hand over the health care to government.

Have you ever tried to call the CADFG and ask a question? I don't doubt what you have written above, because it is very difficult to get to a person who knows what is going on.

I am going to be real clear here so that there is no misunderstanding....I am not in dispute with you or your phone call.
You recieved bogus information from a State of California retard.

There has been nothing whatsoever done at the DFG offices regarding this years deer tags.

Whoever gave you that info is mistaken.

No action at all is taken until the filing date for the drawing has passed. No data entry. No tag issue. Nothing.

D17 is NOT a premium zone this season, and even if it were, they would have no way of knowing how many tags were available until AFTER the drawing was completed.

It amazes me that they can even find the keys to the front doors of that department, those people are sooo dumb!

Looks like Nickman won't be drawing this year!! You just sealed your own fate. What's that? Oh, you say they don't know how to read either? Well....then.....you're safe. HaHa

Steve

LAST EDITED ON May-15-09 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]I'm going to run down to the local office Monday and insist they sell me an OTC Elk tag. Who knows, maybe I'll get one!:)

Eel

WELL FELLAS.......ON MY FIRST DEER TAG APPLICATION IT SAYS: C, D12, & D17 WILL BE DRAWING ZONES IN 2009.....SECTION TWO.....YD.

The lady in SD could be telling me a story for sure. BUT what SHE said was THEY got a e-mail Yesterday saying the rest of the tags(48) of them would be put in the draw and if you draw they with your first choice you lose your points. I told her with only 48 tags left they would sell out before the Draw date and she said yes that probaly so.
I'm calling again to today to find out if I can talk to some-one else and get a different answer. LOL

OK.......my most simple question would be...how would ANYONE know how many deer tags are left, when the draw is still a month away?

You must be calling late and catching the janitor!

It won't matter what type/zone of hunt you apply for, NONE of them are processed until after June 2nd.

I still have a hundred 1st and 2nd deer tag "applications" in the store. How many you want?

We have at least 50 regular customers that wait until 3 days prior to the draw and then submit. Some other people have to drive a hundred miles to pick one up because they waited so long and their local store has run out.

You can submit your "application" the day they are printed, but you won't have a tag in your hand until after the draw cutoff date...June 2nd.

This ain't Colorado and you cannot buy a deer tag "over the counter", so somebody telling you that there are only 48 tags left, is doing drugs at work.

The only deer tags already in process are the auction tags and I would bet, that even those have not been "issued" at this point.

I have been going thru this for most of 20 years and having to call DFG sometimes, 3 times a week. Getting 2 people there, that have the same answer, is very rare.......and talking to anyone in a regional office is simply a waste of time.

Actually, Ca has first-come, first-served tags. D12 and D17 had always been sold this way but they decided to make them a draw tag and they put it in print. However, when the hunting digest was printed, nothing had been finalized yet.
So, after the printing they decided to NOT make those changes and leave them as 1st come.
And yes they do know how many have been sold and how many are still available.
Also, it doesn't matter if you obtain the tag by draw or 1st come, either way you burn your preference points.

A and B tags are otc. My 09 A tag from my second app is already sitting here next to me. I think the confusion is that, most guys either put in for points only or a draw tag in there first choice and a D tag as second choice. In this case you wait till after the june drawing and then tags are awarded on first come first served basis. If you dont put in for points, then they are awarded otc with a first app only. If a D tag is your first choice on a second app, you have to wait untill the first week in august, if there are more apps then tags they will do a seperate drawing for the remaining tags. Maybe the case is that in D17 people are puting it as there first choice on there first app because they are going by the book which we all know is false info, and as a result they are awarding more otc tags than expected and will not have any left by the june drawing?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The only way to get a d12 or d17 tag is to put it down as a first choice. In the past I was able to get d12 as a 2nd or 3rd choice but in the last 2 years they have sold out before the draw. I can longer get a d12 tag without burning my points.

>The only way to get a
>d12 or d17 tag is
>to put it down as
>a first choice. In the
>past I was able to
>get d12 as a 2nd
>or 3rd choice but in
>the last 2 years they
>have sold out before the
>draw. I can longer get
>a d12 tag without burning
>my points.

This below was posted on the dfg website on may 14th.

"Hunters should also be aware that two proposed regulation changes described in the 2009 California Hunting Digest Big Game book were not adopted by the Fish and Game Commission, following publication of the book:

Zones C, D12, and D17 are notable exceptions to the new deer hunting regulations. There will be no change in the way these three zones are classified in 2009. Hunters may still purchase these tags over the counter using a First Deer Tag Application."

Well there ya go...strait from the horses mouth. I dont see how you'd loose your points....Heres the link and you guys can read for yourselves....... http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news09/2009051401.asp

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Hardway
Points are lost when you recieve your 1st choice on your #1 deer tag. It doesn't matter if it's through the draw or OTC. First choice burns your points.
In the past they did not sell out before the draw and could be obtained as a 2nd choice and not burning any points.
NOW they sell out before the draw.
FIRST CHOICE = NO MORE POINTS

Hardway- I understand OTC meaning you go in, pay for the tag and they give you the tag at that time. In Ca you still have to fill out the app and send it in. Then, you receive your tag in the mail, right?

Steve

>Hardway- I understand OTC meaning you
>go in, pay for the
>tag and they give you
>the tag at that time.
>In Ca you still have
>to fill out the app
>and send it in. Then,
>you receive your tag in
>the mail, right?
>
>Steve

Wiz, your correct. I've never done it because of where I live , but I've had friends run down to the fresno office before and bought there tags right otc.

>Hardway
>Points are lost when you recieve
>your 1st choice on your
>#1 deer tag. It doesn't
>matter if it's through the
>draw or OTC. First choice
>burns your points.
>In the past they did not
>sell out before the draw
>and could be obtained as
>a 2nd choice and not
>burning any points.
>NOW they sell out before the
>draw.
>FIRST CHOICE = NO MORE POINTS
>

So if I put an A tag for my first choice they would take my points? Even though its an unlimited tag? Man that sucks....I was trying to find a way around it for ya, but I guess you guys down there are screwed. Good luck to ya.

Wiz and Hardway, you're both right. I've gone down to the regional office in Eureka and gotten B tags. You go to the counter, buy the license and tag application. You then go to a table in the office, fill out the application, indicating you want a B (our other) then take the application back up to the counter, and they issue the tag. All you're doing is bypassing the post office part of it.

You're getting a tag OTC, but technically not.:)

Eel

Hardway- I could understand going directly to a F&G office. Maybe things are a little different up there. I know our offices down here don't have tags available like that in their offices.

Steve

I hope that answers your question. I'm sure this weekend d-17 will be sold out.

Now I was told by some other hunters(they have the tags I seen them) that they put down 1st choice as PD and D-17 as second choice and then brought the tag over the counter at a DFG office, That was the same thing I was trying to do and was told NO it couldn't happen that way so either the DFG screwed up on me or screwed up on them. Since I didn't get a tag I'm saying they screwed up on ME.

I had a phone call from DFG about the complaint i put in and yep the lady in the SD office was full of Sh!t in what she told me and they was sorry for the way it happen. BUT i still wouldn't be getting my D-17 tag because they are sold out now(last week).
Hope I draw my X zone now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom