D-6 Opener

Calif_Mike

Dad, Keith and I headed up for our long standing tradition of opening weekend in D-6. Weather was on the warm side and conditions were very dry, even at 9,000 feet.

Opening morning found Kimber and myself sitting in my usual spot with dad down below me a few hundred yards and Keith over around the mountain a bit. As the morning progressed I saw a few does but not a whole lot was happening. A litle after 9AM I hear what sounds like WW III starting down in the drainage to my left. From past experience I knew this likely meant the guy had missed and that the deer would come to me. A few minutes later I could see several bucks comeing through the trees on a trot. I picked the first one as I knew I would only have a second to get a shot off and let the bullet fly.
img3184of.jpg

And I had my 2012 buck. It turns out there were a total of 5 bucks in the group.

We hunted through Monday nite but didn't turn up anything other than does for dad or Keith but we had a great time.

A few more pics.
img3193un.jpg

Keith and Kimber taking a break on the edge of the world.

img3192yr.jpg

Kimber in camp between the morning and evening hunts.

Nice pictures and good shot Mike. You and your dad going back to CO this year?
We are headed to WY this year, leaving in 3 weeks.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Congrats on your Buck Mike!! Loved that second pic with your dog and the rough country in the background. Nice going!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Nice pictures and good shot Mike.
> You and your dad
>going back to CO this
>year?
>We are headed to WY this
>year, leaving in 3 weeks.
>
>
>Brian
>http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah we're going to CO again this year, Keith will be going with us too, it will be nice to have someone else to help with some of the work, dad is 75 now and slowing down. We leave on Oct. 29th.

That 2nd picture of you sitting on the log is so familiar! (the background) I think I have rested on that log before gazing at the long valley below the 3 chimineys. That country used to hold alot of deer in the early 90's, but now it riddeled with people and people that fire thier automatic weapons about 10am when they figure thier not gonna shoot anything else. Thats if Im thinking of the same place!! Their is still a few bucks around thier, and it looks like you found one. Congrats!

Antler Junky, from your description of the people shooting their automatics down in the valley at 10AM, I think you know the place. Only difference now is they start about 8:30.

Good luck on the CO hunt Mike and post the pictures later. We will be home by then I'm sure.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom