D9 Bear

ANDO

Crazy!!! I bought a bear tag the day before I left for just an overnight trip for mainly deer. On the evening hunt I was walking real slow looking at a hillside to my right when I happened to look to my left. 20 yards away was a bear feeding along and he didn't even know I was there. I dropped down to my knees because there was a small bush between me and him. I ranged him and then knocked my arrow. I drew back and he started walking to my right with his nose in the air. He knew something was up. I followed him for about 10 more feet until he came to an opening and as soon as he looked at me I let rip. Honestly, I was freaking out because I have never seen a bear while deer hunting here in socal, yet alone at 20 yards away. Shot was a little back but I was able to track him down about 200 yards later and put another one in him from 20 yards away again. This time it put him down for good. Anybody have any suggestions on how heavy this bear might be? Never got a chance to weigh it. Measured out at 5'4" from nose to tail.

18072012-09-05_17.46.14.jpg

This is my boy holding the front paw. He was super excited to see a bear that close. Gonna make some sweet bear claw necklaces for him and my nephews. Tons of meat in the freezer also!!!

59962012-09-06_19.34.07.jpg

Ando, Congrats on the Bear. Looks like a Dandy to me. Tuff to guess from the pic's, you probably have a better idea what he weighs than we can guess.

Looks like you'll be having lots of Bear meat. One MM'er, BuckSnort i believe, got very sick last year on undercooked BBQ bear ribs so be careful to cook the stuff all the way through!

Congrats on your hunt again!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

That is a great bear. If I had to geuss id say hes at least a couple hundred lbs. The boys should cherish their claw necklaces forever. I know I do from my fathers first lion. Congrats.

Thanks guys. I will be sure to cook the meat well. I have been doing a little bit of reading about bear meat and how to cook it.

sageadvice is right...It almost killed me (literally) and made 3 others REALLY sick.. Cook it well done..

Congrat's on the bear..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom