Dad's Destiny Buck

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-15 AT 00:44AM (MST)[p]What and eventful and tough hunt!

My dad got it done this last weekend on his best antelope to date! Super tough hunt with lots of little bucks running around and an equal amount of hunters! Definitely fewer big boys than we have seen in the past!

I wont be doing a long detailed story like normal due to Im a little pressed for time because we're getting ready to head out on another antelope hunt. I will write one up a bigger more detailed story later with more pics and post it in my HAC if you guys want to check it out but it wont be for a little while. But for the mean time here is the short version.

Pretty crazy how it all happened! We first saw this buck getting chased around by other hunters opening morning. We had a close call on getting him a couple hours into the hunt but he kept his distance and got away. We named him "Mr.Y" due to the shape of his frame. All you could see was 2 long black horns sticking out in a "Y" shape. We figured we saw the last of him as he disappeared into the mirage of that hot day. My dad passed up a few smaller bucks that morning and kind of got messed up on his stalk by some other hunters on 2 other decent bigger bucks. Oh well... What are you going to do? Its public land hunting...

That evening we were glassing a small herd of little bucks and a bunch of does feeding. That's when my dad suddenly says "BIG BUCK! BIG BUCK!" We quickly put the spotting scope on the buck to see what we were looking at more clearly and its "Mr.Y"! My dad grabs his gear and sets out on the long solo stalk. A couple miles and 3-4 hours later, the elusive buck outwits my dad and so begins his long hike back to the truck. This is the 2nd time this buck has gotten away from my dad.

The next day we hunted near where we last saw the elusive "Mr.Y" the evening before and it didn't take us long to find him. He covered a lot of ground from the night before and it looked like he was slowly feeding our way... Very Slowly.

We decided to stay put and let him close the distance between us. Slowly but surely he was headed our way. About 15-20 minutes pass by and we see a few does and a small buck headed his way. We thought for sure that they were going to take him away when all of a sudden about the time the group of antelope met him, we spot another hunter stalking the group from the opposite side. The group was on high alert and they were very aware of the other hunter's presence. It didn't take long for them to get moving. The question would be.. Which way would they go???

The group was confused on which way to run. We must of had some luck on our side that day because the lead doe was headed right for us with "Mr.Y" right behind her! We couldn't believe it! We set up for a shot and as soon as the group came to a stop I gave my dad a range of 179 yards. The next sound was a Big BOOM followed by a loud WHACK! The buck hunches up and begins to run full speed. He runs about 70-100 yards before flipping over with his feet straight up in the air.

We couldn't believe the events we just witnessed! Soon after my dad was greeted with congratulatory hugs and high 5s! It really was something out of a dream. His biggest buck to date and he has some dandies under his belt! This buck was definitely meant for my dad... His Destiny Buck! (Mr.Y)

1497fullsizerender.jpg

419fullsizerender123456789.jpg

4872fullsizerender12345678987654.jpg

8377dsc0128.jpg

455dsc0175.jpg

6846dsc0177.jpg

46dsc0261.jpg

8468dsc0158.jpg

ElkSniper

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-15 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]Man, heck of a trophy! Congrats! I'm too very interested in his length. I always over-judge, so I'm not even going to guess. lol

Travis

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-15 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]We came up with just over 83". On the hoof, we estimated him to be 17" and 85" total. Shrunk a little bit on the ground. Was not too disappointed. My best buck thus far in inches and hunt experience.

Tinemaster, your top 5. Did they come out of 50/52?

Crazy, that's a great looking lope. I saw one similar up near Hopewell. I was certainly surprised to see that buck up there??

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-15 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]

Slygrrr.... Here are a few pics of some goats up near Hopewell I took last spring. There has always been antelope high but now it is more common. There were not always a lot up that high but a few years ago when the drought was bad, a lot of the antelope were forced to go higher in search of water. Now they are very scattered out both high and low and that is why there are less goats in the prairie than there use to be.

3962antjaw2.jpg

685antjaw1.jpg

2738antjaw3.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom