DALL SHEEP BOOKS

"The Quest for Dall Sheep" by Jack Wilson. Can get from FNAWS. Besides other hunts it includes the story of the World Record Dall Sheep taken By Swank. Another book not many know about and that documents many sheep hunts including dalls is Skyline Pursuits by John Batten. Can get a trade edition from Amwell Press, 908-638-9033. Enjoy.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-05 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p] HEY FALCON HOW BAD YA GOT SHEEP FEVER?? I HAVE IT BAD AS WELL, I'M GOING IN AUG. I RESEARCHED DALL HUNTS FOR 3 YEARS BEFORE I BOOKED. HERE ARE JUST A FEW THINGS I HAVE TURNED UP.

1. THE YUKON, NWT ARE A LOT BETTER THAN ALASKA. # OF RAMS & SIZE.
2. DONT BACKPACK, GO ON A HORSE TRIP. PULL A MUSCLE/ GET BLISTERS YOUR DONE. 10-15 THOU. DOWN THE DRAIN, AND WHY GO ON A DEATH MARCH.
3. ALOT OF HUNTERS COME HOME FROM ALASKA WITHOUT A DALL SHEEP.
4. SOME OUTFITTERS IN CANADA THROW IN A FREE CARIBOU, NOT IN ALASKA. ....YES FREE.
5.CANADA DOES NOT GET MUCH PRESSURE.
6. SOME OUTFITTERS IN CANADA ENCOURAGE YOU NOT TO SHOOT A SMALL RAM, WE'LL SEE BIGGER RAMS SOON.
7. AFTER TALKING TO 60-70 SHEEP PEOPLE I UNDERSTAND HUNTERS FLAT GET TAKEN ON OVER SOLD ALASKAN DALL HUNTS.NUMBERS OF GOOD SHEEP ARE NOT TO BE FOUND. THERE ARE SOME GOOD DALL HUNTS IN ALASKA, BUT DOING YOUR HOMEWORK IS HARDER. KEEP ME POSTED, YD.

Another book that should be read is the classic by Jack O'Conner, Sheep and Sheep Hunting.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

You guys are fogetting the most important book of all for sheep hunting...........the CHECKBOOK! It'll be a while before I'll find mine think enough to go......but some day I will.
Good luck in your sheep pursuits!

Lien2

I have two of Tony's book: The Quest for Dall Sheep and Sheep Hunting in Alaska. Both are great resources.

Yukon Dall you needed to add the "rest of the story" when comparing Yukon/NWT to Alaska for Dall sheep.

1. Be careful with your statement that the Yukon/NWT are "a lot better" in size of rams. I hate to lump all sheep within a province/state together relative to size; I think it is more appropriate to compare in different mountain ranges.

2. "Don't backpack, go on a horse trip" If you like big meals, more comfortable camps and dealing with horses this is good advice. But to make any horse trip pleasant you must get your butt in saddle shape. Dealing with horses allows for greater movement but less flexibility in where you can hunt. You can keep your horses, I would much rather strap it on my back!
3. Do good research and don't take the cheapest hunt you can find. That's what leads to poor success....there are marginal outfitters everywhere.

4. Free caribou hunts are a nice add-on but dont over-emphasize the savings. NWT and Yukon hunts are on average thousands more. When you include the extra air fare and charter flights, it could cost $5000 more to go to some of the Yukon/NWT places.

5/6. There is definitely more pressure and hunters in Alaska. One advantage to consider is the size of the operation. If a smaller operation with only 4-8 hunters per year interests you (versus 35 sheep hunters in the NWT) then consider Alaska. If you want virgin country with more sheep to look at, Yukon and NWT would be a better fit.

The question I ask myself is where would I go for my next dall hunt?? (I hope I have at least one more white sheep trip left in me!) I do really like the looks of those white sheep taken with Kelly Hougen or Lancasters. Those twisters look great but if I wanted another chance at a big ram it would mean back to the Chugach Mtns.

BTW-I had a Yukon hunt booked for 2003 but had to cancel. My cousin and another friend still went and had a great time. Easy country and nice lookin sheep (39" and 35").

RAMSLAM, LOTS AND LOTS OF VARIBLES IN A MULTISIDED SHEEP HUNT. KEEP THAT IN MIND.... MY OUTFITTER SITUATION EQUATES TO ONLY ABOUT 10% OF THE POINTS IN WHICH YOU SPEAK OF. FIRST, IF A GUY WANTS TO SAVE 2-3 THOU. DONT GO ON A SHEEP HUNT. THE FIRST TIME AROUND ( IF POSSIBLE ) GO ON A FIRST CLASS HUNT. WHY BACKPACK, (ONLY TO KEEP COST DOWN) STAY FRESH..ENJOY THE HUNT. WHO WANTS TO PAY 10-14000 TO GO ON A DEATH MARCH. MY OUTFITTER DOES NOT CHARGE FOR THE FLIGHT IN,AND ONLY TAKES 12 SHEEP HUNTERS A YEAR. WHAT I SAVE ON A FREE CARIBOU MORE THAN MAKES UP THE EXTRA 2000.00 BUCKS BECAUSE I BOOKED IN CANADA. AFTER THE SHEEP IS DOWN, I STILL HAVE 4 OTHER ANIMALS TO HUNT... IN YOUR CASE IT MIGHT BE TIME TO GO HOME. JUST THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HUNTS & PEOPLE. BOTTOM LINE IS " WHAT TYPE OF EXPERIENCE DO YOU WANT". ....YD.

I am going to throw my two cents in just for fun.

As Yukon Dall I researched for a long time before I bit the bullet and went hunting. I was pretty sure I wanted to hunt the NW Territories or the Yukon but timing with the outfitters didn't fit my schedule as both that I decided on were already booked. So AK is were I went and hunted the Wrangels in 2003 and had a great hunt. I saw many sheep and many rams but did not harvest one with my bow. This was also a horse hunt and fit the description that Ramslam stated. In 2004 I went back, with a rifle, and hunted the Chugach and had even a better hunt than 2003. This was a true backpack hunt and I harvested a ram. What I learned was stay away from the horses. Yes, they can get you to cover more ground, but they are more work. The primary reason though, is that you always have to go back to the horses and you always have to walk up in the morning and down at night. When backpacking we slept where ever and believe it or not was a lot less physical believe me. Anyone that has hunted the Chugach (one of youngest AK mountain ranges) knows it wasn't because it wasn't rugged. It was just hard getting on that darn horse every morning and riding for quite awhile then climbing for longer and doing this every day for ten days.

Bottom line though is that I went on two hunts for less than one hunt was going to cost me farther north. I just love to hunt sheep and things couldn't have worked out better for me. I am with Ramslam and would like to hunt with Kelly some day but I don't think I can even consider at this stage not going back to the Chugach.

Sorry it was so long and good luck YukonDall!

Splash

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-05 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]My two cents worth now -

YukonDall -

Its good you are doing your research ... however I will tell you something - obviously you haven't hunted sheep yet so all you have to go on is word of mouth.

I live in British Columbia and hunt sheep every year and I know many friends who live and hunt the Yukon / NWT.

You think backpacking will be a deathmarch ??? I hope as hell you're in "saddle shape" at least 25 hours "trail" riding before you leave because I can tell you from experience - you'll be in more pain for the first half of your hunt than you would ever be on a backpack hunt.......

Horses - they can be more a pain. You must be saddle shape - if you think you can get away with a couple rides before you leave on your hunt - you have another think coming ... your inside legs will be chaffed and blistered, ass sore, and back really really sore and stiff that you will have a hard time hiking up the mountain after a ram. You're limited to where you can hunt. More often than not - you will have to hike away from the horses to go after rams SOOOO you had better be in HIKING SHAPE ANYWAYS !!!!! ...... its very rare you will ride up to one and shoot one ..... And thats not all about horses -
I'll give you another tip for your research - most of the biggest rams in the Yukon / NWT are taken on backpack hunts. Get dropped off with the cub on a gravel bar or lake and away you go - you are usually within striking distance of rams already.

I've spent time using horses (including 60 straight days one summer in the mountains) and backpacking. There are pro's and cons with both.......for a better than average ram - I'll take my backpack over horses.

In the end - your own research will lead you to take what you see is the best fit for yourself.......which is good.

I think the biggest thing is .... don't say some things you did against backpack hunting sheep and other stuff when you have no clue or experience yourself......the Yukon / NWT are absolutly NOT overrun with big rams....lots of sheep perhaps....but think about it - take all the sheep they shoot up there .... the ratio of really big rams shot to the number of sheep shot is pretty damn small. Take British Columbia - an annual harvest around 300 stone's rams by residents and outfitters --- only 1 or 2 .. maybe 3 will make Boone and Crockett each year.

It would be better accepted to say, "I want to use horses on my guided hunt in the Yukon because thats my idea of a dream hunt."

Your slamming backpack hunting to be a deathmarch like u did implies you might be too lazy to get in shape for it and horses are the easy way......

BE CAREFUL !!! because - NOW YOU need to be in both HORSE/SADDLE SHAPE and HIKING SHAPE !!! Beleive it....and I am sure others on here who have used horses will agree ........every day ... you will likely be hiking UP and then DOWN each and every single day followed by hours of riding. I feel backpack hunting is actually LESS demanding and LESS work ....... Believe it - I've done both many times !!

BTW - what outfitter are you going with ??? I might know something about them that I can tell you about....

Regardless - be prepared for the unexpected !!! I have no doubt you will have a fantastic hunt - even with horses ... hell I've used em - but then again - I was both saddle shape and hiking shape to make it enjoyable and successful.

BC, I BACK PACKED FOR ELK FOR 20 PLUS YEARS, ITS OVERATED. BEEN ON 7 HORSE TRIPS, AND SOME LONG 20 PLUS MILE RIDES. I DONT SEEM TO GET VERY SORE, AN HIKEING IS STILL A HUGE PART OF A HORSE TRIP. I WORK OUT 3-4 TIMES A WEEK JUST TO HIKE. WE ARE SPIKEING OUT WITH HORSES, THE LODGE IS WAY TOO FAR TO GO BACK AND FORTH. NO BODY WILL FORCE A GUY TO RIDE EVERYDAY EITHER, YOU GUYS MAKE TOO BIG A DEAL OUT OF THIS. YOU REALLY HAVE MADE ALOT OF WRONG ASSUMPTIONS, WHICH MAKES YOUR OPIONIONS NULL N VOID. GOOD LUCK BACK PACKING. ... END OF THIS POST, ..TAKE ER EASY...YD.

No wrong assumptions on my part buddy - You need to clarify what you've done and have done. Which you didn't. I, like others will defend backpacking for sheep.

My experience is no less than yours and if anything...likely more due to where I live.

Don't get so offended - backpacking for elk vs sheep is very very different in terms of where you will find good rams.

Its good you've rode horses on some hunts. You now have an idea what they can do and can't do.

You're entitled to your own opinions and entitled to hunt the way you wish to hunt - just don't go preaching your own holier than thou comments and think you know it all on sheep hunting and horses vs backpacking etc. You're as green as they come when it comes to sheep.

Its a no brainer you will be hunting from spike camps. I don't know many outfitters that hunt sheep from their main lodge....thats common knowledge up here.

Have a fun sheep hunt !! End of discussion.

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. This is a pretty passionate discussion which has been pretty interesting. I have a lot of reading to do, so thanks for the book selections.

Bryan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom