Dall sheep hunt

marley

Very Active Member
I have just over 5 months before I leave for my Dall Sheep hunt in the Brooks range. I can't even sleep at night right now thinking about it. It will be a 12 day backpack hunt and I will be there for the first hunt (August 10th). I have done several backpack hunts for elk and deer in the past but I was never back in for more than 4 days. So my question for you guys is: What should I be packing as far as clothing goes? I have almost every Sitka piece they make and I love it all but what do I need to take number wise? 2 pants, raingear, how many base layers, how many socks and liners, underwear, etc? I want to be prepared but I also am trying to go as light weight as possible.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I know how you feel, I'm headed to Alaska for my first sheep hunt this September. What backpack did you choose? Ken..

I lived out of my backpack for 14 days on my Dall hunt in 2007. It may surprise you how little I took for clothing. My hunt was in September, so weather was expected to be a little worse.

Clothing:
Cabelas Microtex shirt and pants: 1 each
Patagonia Capilene 2 pants and 1/2 zip top: one each
Polartec fleece jacket with Windstopper
Smartwool medium weight hunting socks: six pair
Fox River X-static liner socks: 4 pair
boxer briefs: 2 pair
Marmot Precip jacket and full zip pants
wool gloves
stocking cap
ball cap

I never felt like I needed more than this, and we dealt with some pretty adverse weather conditions. Good luck on your hunt! It will take forever to get here, and then that 10 days will fly by.

Dall50.jpg

If you can get ahold of the right Huntin'Fool magazine from last year, Garth Carter did a great piece on what he took on his back pack Dall hunt. I was surprised at how few cloths he took. He also packed his own food, because he had done this hunt several times and knew what he liked and how much lighter he could make things by doing his own. Good luck!

ColoradoOak has some great insight. Especially note the importance of taking enough socks. You can get by with a minimal amount of clothing, but wet or the wrong kind of socks can ruin your hunt. In my small amount of sheep hunting, I've found that foot care needs to be one of the top priorities.

Best of luck to all in their scheduled sheep hunts!

Guys, last year I had a TOK area tag and it was my first sheep hunt. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life! I really tried not to force anything other than absord everything around me. I posted some of the experience on the Alaskan Adventures part.

Conditioning.....you can't do too much! Just be patient when traveling and climbing. If you wear yourself down too much, it will take longer to recover.

As far as two pairs of pants....I think you could get away with one pair and just change your base layers. If the pants need cleaning, you'll have time for that and it helps with the patience needed. Items I was really glad I had were treking poles. I used the telescoping ones and they were great and you're not packing them, you're leaning on them. Weight wise, I was at 48 lbs with my pack no food, stove or tent. Accept it that you'll be at 60 to 65 lbs fully loaded. Its a fine line between alittle comfort and unnecessary weight. Ammunition is heavy, but you never want to run out! If you are competent with your rifle to 300 or 400 yds, you shouldn't need two boxes of shells. MAKE SURE YOU'RE THAT GOOD! Be sure to have a rain cover for your pack as it will most likely be left outside for the night. I went with a lighter bag and slept in my base layer (changing every couple of days) and when it was colder, I'd place my jacket & extra clothes inside my bag around me. I found when I mixed my water with additives (gatorade, camelback tablets, wildneress athlete) it really helped...alot! There's so much more and I need to get some work done. If any of you want to chat, PM me with a number and I'll help any way I can.

Good luck and be careful,

nocal

This is very helpful....keep it coming. I was also thinking that I would only take 1 pair of pants. I have the 90% pants and the Ascent pants and haven't decided which to take yet. I will also have the Nimbus pants to pull over if needed.

I went with the Mystery Ranch 6500 pack. It's a little heavier than others but it feels Oh so good on my back compared to others I've tried. I just got some Kenetrek Mountain boots and love them.

I did get a treking pole as well but my guide recommended just one instead of 2.

Thanks for the info.

I also used the ascent pants (only) with a lighter weight pair and one medium pair of base.

Matt Snyder at Alaska Hunting Adventures suggested and I brought a full length Frogg Togg rain slicker (not the poncho style). I used the 90 percent jacket. When you think about it, twenty degrees is about the coldest it may get, the concern is having clothing that will allow your body to breath while hiking and climbing, not necessarily requiring that much warmth.

Make sure your pack is comfortable first, then consider the weight. I used the Eberlestock 107 that I bought in Reno. Glenn (Eberle) was there and he sized it specifically for me which really helped. Its not the pack, its the fit!

A light beanie hat really helps at night sleeping to keep warm because your head will be sticking out of your bag. I used one of the Sitka light weight beannies.

Try to consider items that will have multiple uses.

Back to work,

nocal

I wont claim to be an expert on this subject, but I dont understand using one trekking pole. When I'm climbing hills around here i use two poles and it really makes a difference. You have a lot of upper body strength in both arms, why wouldnt you capitilize on that. It's four wheel drive compared to three wheel drive. Try it, you will be surprised. Ken

Marley, I went to NWT on almost the same dates as you. I think I was there the 6th thru the 10th, 2007.
When we packed for the first trip (10 days) in I had the pair of underwear I was wearing and one extra. One set of smart wool light weight, top and a bottom. I had the Sitka, I think it was called timberline at the time, Traverse now, top and bottom. Sitka Vest, 90% Jacket, downpour pants and acsent pants.
I wore a Marmot precip jacket, because it was cheaper than the Sitka and it performed great and continues to, it has been thru several hunts.
I think I took three pairs of sock liners and two pairs of socks. Smart wool liners and Thorlo socks.
I also took a ball cap, a sitka bennie and a smart wool bennie( I left it in the tent and slept in it so my sitka could dry if need be), and a smart wool neck gator.
I took two poles and agree they are much better than one, life savers.
I saw some pretty cold temps, we had 13 F one morning in sheep camp, but we were camped on top.
I will say I never got miserably cold, but I never really got warm either. I think I got lucky and hit my clothing about perfect.
Remeber that you can put small damp items like socks and glove liners, etc. in your sleeping bag with you at night and dry them out with your body heat, not soaking wet, but damp.

PM me if you have more questions I am glad to help. It will be here very soon. Shoot alot and get in great shape, the better shape you are in the more fun it will be. Good Luck !!!

Pretty good list Oak. My clothing list was really similar.

You can't beat Microtex. Tough as iron and drys fast.

Two trekking poles are a must.

Later season on into September, one thing I brought was a packable down jacket and it made a decent pillow.

After a few days everyone stinks and less weight trumps extra clothes. Two boxes of shells is ridiculous and unneccesary. If you feel like you might need that many, you should probably hold off on the hunt until you become more confident and a better shot.

I went with BRIDGEDALE socks under Bryan Martin's recommendation and feel like they are the best socks out there. Really good long wearing.

I used Frog Toggs on my first hunt and shredded them. The material really works well shedding moisture, but not going through the alders. I know have Marmot Precip rain gear. Takes up alot less room.

After my first hunt in glacier country I bought a pair of Koflach plastic mountaineering boots for the next hunt. No question on performance in radical terrain. If you sidehill for a couple of days in leather boots, you will have trashed your feet. Plastics get you past that.

Hey Marley, Just went to the Brooks last Aug. for sheep. Went w/o a guide cause my son is a resident. We were both greenhorns at wilderness hunting. No place like the Brooks in the world. No brush to tear clothing. Just tundra and rocks. Having a guide will be a big help. 14 days 7 pr. socks, I took 1 pr. 90% pants,1 90% jacket, 1 1/2 zip traverse shirt, 2 pr. cold gear underarmor long johns, 2 Compression boxers, 1 sitka beanie (wore it day and night), 1 lght gloves, 1 heavy, and 1 mittens, definitely 2 trek poles, Gun big enough to shoot a griz ( we shot one and had others ruin our camp, light packable raingear, It won't get dark so 1 headlamp, They say 15 degree bag is enough but I took a zero and wouldn't want less. We were on a 10 dayer and wore same clothes 5 days. We carried food so had to watch our space in pack. If it gets warm you'll need sun screen. I have more on my list but w/guide you might not need most of it. What does he provide? Also I'd love to hear how it went. Ken

One thing I'd definitely take along is UnderArmor boxer briefs. They're compression shorts, so while the legs are longer like on boxers, they fit snugly to your legs. They also breath well, and are extremely light. That region of your body will be glad you have them on, especially when you're doing a lot of walking.

haha, the first time I went to the Brooks I had 2 headlamps and extra batteries!!! Never turned on a flashlight now in 2 trips!!!!!!!

A little different than Buckspy, but I always take a down vest. It makes a good pillow and you can wear it to sleep for extra warmth. I spent the night under a ledge last year and the down vest was perfect to help me get at least a little sleep. It packs down to a little bigger than a softball in size.

2 hiking poles no doubt.

Your gonna have fun. Maybe see ya on the plane up there!!!!!!!

All the info above is great.I hunted the Alaska Range.My outfitter recomended plastic boots such as Scarpas or Koflachs.I wore Koflachs and was glad I did.I also killed a great ram.I also used 2 poles.If your interested in some plastics let me know.Good luck on your hunt.
RS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom