Dall Sheep in 2007

jcford

Who all is going to chase the white sheep in 2007. I am booked with Gana River in August, the 6th thru the 15th. Will be my first sheep hunt. I will have a caribou tag as well. I am going backpack. What sleeping bag do those of you that have been there recommend, or any of you that have moutain backpacking experiance? What packs do you like and how big? What about clothing? I am enjoying the preparing for the hunt. Hopefully several others on the board are going sheep hunting and we can have a success and story page when we return. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-06 AT 10:07PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-06 AT 10:05?PM (MST)

I was with Gana in 06, great people, great place,

- get a wolf tag
- GET IN SHAPE NOW
-bring a bug net, good worn in boots,
-Be patient, lots of guys kill rams on the 1st day, but sometimes it takes longer.
- I like my Kifaru pack, but the Tatonka is nice as well.

It is big country up there, go light. If you have experience back pack hunting you will be fine. The guides know the country well, but there are not herds of sheep on every mountain, you will have to work for them. Glassing as with all sheep hunting is key, we found most of the rams up in the rocks like Stone's.

I suggest Wiggy's waders, you will be crossing many knee high streams daily, and Wiggy's can be put on over Hiking boots. GO LIGHT!

Depends on if I draw.
I hiked in 22 miles on my sheep hunt in 05 with a 51lb pack. By pack I mean anything I wasn't wearing (tent, bag, 12lbs food, gun, etc.) My sleepingbag is a cat's meow by North Face. It keeps me toasty warm down to 20 and only weighs 3lbs. I have a 3/4 lenghth prolite 3 from therma rest that weighs .8 lbs. Clothing is all fleece and synthetics. Well built lightweight raingear is a must. On my last sheep hunt I took 1 extra pair of skivies and 2 extra pair of socks. Everything else just got stinky. : )
Good luck on your hunt!!

Read Tony Russ's book great information especially for first timers it gives you an idea of what to expect.

I love the Sporthill 3SP fabric for top and bottom. The best pants I have ever owned. I bought an external pack from Barney's very expensive but worked great. Talk to your outfitter and see what they recommend then test all of your equipment for the next year before leaving. I found anything worth having on a Dall hunt is worth paying for. Also when you are dropping $15,000 plus on a hunt do not skimp on good equipment. I went this past August my second sheep hunt my first dall. Do not hesitate to call me. Send me a PM and I will give you my phone number. I have checked out the Gana site many times. It looks like they are one of the best out there you should do great.

I also hunted with Gana River in 2006. Maritini when were you there? I hunted backpack the 2nd hunt.
I agree get in the best shape you can. You will need no lights, go as lite as you can. Your guide will cut your pack down as lite as he can get you to go. No changes of clothing. Good rain gear. My sleeping bag was synthetic North Face rated 0 degrees,more than warm enough. My pack was also a Kifaru, which I like however I packed wrong on the way out with Sheep meat in the bottom,legs went numb and chose not to take time to get right,mistake.
Gana River is a very honest hard working group. There base camp is the best, all the comforts of home. Have a great adventure!

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I will look into the Wiggy waders, I had wondered if I should take a pair of these. The pack I have now is a Eberlestock J104, but I am thinking I should go with more of a backpacking (expedition) style pack, like a Mystery Ranch or Kifaru. I have a pair of Hag Wag boots from Lathrop & Sons that I am training in right now and I really like them. Wore them in the Gila this fall and they felt good and had no foot problems. What are the rain gear recommendations? Rivers West or something from Barney's ???

Cozomo8, I will PM you and get your number.

Wyoelk, Thanks for the info on the clothes. No changes of clothes should lighten the load. I may have to stow away one extra pair of skivis, man it could be along ten days in one pair of drawers.

I almost never kill anything early in the hunt, seems always midway to last minute. At least I get the full experiance!!!

One more question on sleeping bags, down or sythetic? There are several bags now that are down and water resistant or water proof. I have seen several folks mention the Cat's Meow that TBinKodiak talks about, must be a good bag.

Thanks again, keep the info coming.

You are right JC you do need change of skivis. I believe I took three pair of liners and socks. I had the same boots they were great. My rain gear was mt050 from Cabelas, sat out thunder storm on my stock, it poured on us and I stayed dry. My pack was the Kifaru Longhunter 5200 cubic Inch with side pockets, it was over stuffed when we came out with everything in one trip.
I got mine on the first day. We dumped any food we were not going to consume. We still had just enough room to do it in one trip. About 5-6 hours back to the pickup point. I am sure the guides pack and mine both were over 100 LBS.. I was doing a full body mount so that added some weight and room.
Fire away with any other questions. You will have a blast. Sheep hunting is quite the addiction.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-06 AT 07:44PM (MST)[p]WyoElk- I was on the Aug 16-26th hunt, Gary was my guide, he was great.

As for sleeping bags, I have a Western Mountaineering Antelope SDL ( dryloft) it is a down bag, with the Dryloft material, which prevents moisture getting to the down,

Has anyone gone with Ram Head in the NWT??

JC,
I had the exact hunt dates with Gana River in 2005. You will not find a better outfitter than Harold Grinde. It is the best outfitted hunt that I have ever been on. The entire Grinde family is first class all the way. I used a Western Mountaineer 3# bag and it worked perfect. There are a lot of top quality boots to choose from but just make sure they are well broken in. I like the lite weight Columbia pants with capalene by Patagonia as a liner or underpants. The North Face button down synthetics are the best shirts that I have found. I would recommend a lite weight wool jacket. I like the Helly Hansen Impertech rainsuit and I used it almost every day of the hunt. Harold has a good checklist that covers everything you will need for the hunt.

Be in good shape and you are in for a great experience.

Roger

I will be going with Ram Head in Aug of 07. Really looking forward to this hunt.

Martini, this is the bag I ahve been looking pretty hard at, as it is light and very packable.

Roger, you killed a heck of a ram and caribou, your hunt is what inspired me to jump off and take the plunge. I go back and read your story here about once a week.

Martini and Wyoelk, do you guys have pictures of your rams you could post? Training Inspiration!!!

Couesfever, what dates are you going? I have heard great things about this outfitter as well. I e-mailed him, but never talked to him. I hit it off with Harold and just went with them. I have seen pictures of some great rams killed wiht Ramshead. Are you caricou hunting as well?

Thanks for all the replies, looks like being in shape is super important and I am working on this. Is there anything training wise that any of you would add or do diffferant to get you ready for something you did not feel like you prepared for on your hunt? Thanks

I guided on the border of the NWT but on the Yukon side very close to where Gana rivers outfit is located. To be honest, you will not need a bug net! I spent 2 summers up there and the bugs never really got that bad. I havent heard anyone mention the weather yet, but the Mackenzie mtns can and will get snow anytime in August. I would be prepared for temperatures in the 20* range but it also may be quite warm. In 2002 when i spent my first summer up in that country it rained/snowed everyday from late July to the end of August! That made for one hell of a long month. I would pick up some good quality rain gear, you may need it! Good luck on your hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-07 AT 04:09AM (MST)[p]Ok here's what i take on my hunts, and this is comeing from the son of a hardcore sheep hunter himself! Dads been after sheep for close to 20 years now! U need to think light! Alluminum interier or exterier frame back pack. (green or black colour) Light gun(10lbs at the most!) Good quality scope. get a nice warm sleeping bag, if u wanna be comfy get a closed cell foam matress(not thick, think light)And get a bivvy sack! Buddy of mine has a guy that gets them from the U.S. army. (if u cant find one, get the smallest lightest 2man tent possible) small burner(mini stove) that burns a good variety of fules. A spotting scope, and binoculars(u do need both). Buy dried foods, in plastic bags.(no cans allowed, to heavy)Jerky, dried fruits and hard candy is good, some bread is fine to! Soup is good, gets u nice and warm after a long cold day) Lots of water! Clothes: FLEECE! its warm wet or dry and doesn't soak up alot of water! Bring a water proof jacket!(never know what could happen)Ur outer clothing should be camo, but the inner doesn't matter! Dress in layers so u can take off and put on!
Boots: Good pair of worn in boots. Gortex is best, and to be sure of no water, buy a water proofing product and put it on. Bring 1 pair of extra lases. Nice warm socks is a must, cold feet really sucks! Good luck, i applied for a draw but got zip! Friend got a dall sheep draw last year in B.C. in the triangle! Were both B.C. residents!

"The Triangle" is the very Northwest corner of BC Canada, inhabited by dall sheep. The rest of BC sheep country is inhabited by stone, california, or bighorns. Even BC residents have to draw a tag to hunt sheep in the corner. In some areas their chances of drawing are close to 50% while success is not all that high...full curl minimums. It is a somewhat sought after tag, not because the sheep hunting is so amazing... because several BC residents are trying for the BC slam.

Can I use the term "slam" without being sued by Grand Slam Club/Ovis???

The BC Slam is unique in the sense that you can take 4 species within one province. (2 thinhorns (Dalls and Stone's) and 2 bighorns (Rocky Mtn and California).

What makes it even more special is that the individuals with the BC Slam typically got all 4 sheep "self guided"......that says something about the ability of the hunter !

Sorry Grand Slam Club / Ovis.

THe rules are the sheep must be mature not just full curl! This is his second time he's gotten the draw, first time he had had 2 days to hunt and 11 days in his tent because of a huge freak snow storm! He needs a dall then he has the B.C. slam! He's a guide himself, he knows what he's doin! His names sam pellegrino!

younggun -

If the ram is 'full curl' - he is legal to shoot. You can have a legal full curl ram that is only 6 years old and be allowed to shoot him. Some guys just won't shoot a young full curl ram, preferring instead to hold out for a mature full curl ram that is 8 years plus.

Any ram is a good ram, so who ever says that he wont shoot a ram because it to small is full of BS. BC bucks i'm not pickin on u. RAms take alot of work to get and passing up ur chance is very unlikely to happen. Dont worry i wouldn't. I'm a B.C. boy to. I like hunting sheep its fun yet hard.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-07 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]Younggun -

As you get older - you will realize and see that many good sheep hunters will "hold out" for a big ram and not shoot some little 5 or 6 year old 34-36 inch full curl ram. They will even pass up mature 37-38 inch rams or old broomed rams because they prefer the tips .....

And you're right - there are many guys who will shoot the first legal ram they see no matter the size.

I know many sheep hunters here in BC that pass up rams while holding out for that 40" plus or bookend ram.

I am one of those and I have passed up many many legal and mature Stone's rams the last few years while looking for a big one.

Sheep hunting is indeed hard work !

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-07 AT 12:25PM (MST)[p]u got that right, it is hard work. And i dont think i'll be passing up andy legal ram for a while. Not until i get some experience and 1 or 2 under my belt. Oh do u know a guy named sam pellegrino. He's up north every year after dalls or stones or something. He's my neighbor and an awsome sheep hunter. If u know him send me a email. Oh and many sheep hunter look for the magic 40" and never get it. There are some famous sheep hunters that were and still are part of the best but never got the 40 " ram

im down to 3 camps can any one give me some info im archery hunting. Red stone / south nahanni /gana river what do you all think ?

I did not talk to South Nahanni or Red Stone, so I do not know anything about them. The South Nahanni web page looks good and I believe they drop off out of a chopper which allows access to lots of country. The guys on here have been great to help and send pics. PM some of the guys above that say they have been to Gana River and see what they say. Also the people at the Grand Slam office were nice and seem to know lots about the different outfitters. It came down to Gana River for me, because I could talk to Harold and the feedback I got on the camp and the hunts. I really do not think there is a bad area or outfitters in that area of NWT. I know Nahanni Butte takes alot of bowhunters, but you do not have them on your list. Good Luck in your search, I have enjoyed every bit of this trip already and I am still 8 months from leaving!!!

You guys are making me lose sleep at night with all this ram talk! This August will be my first guided sheep hunt in the Alaska range. I have the first hunt. We will fly into the base camp August 7. The hunt starts the 10th. I am hoping to find a good legal ram. I tell myself I will know when to pull the trigger. My outfitter went 7/8 on rams last season. Some guys saw more then 1 full curl ram,but most shot the first legal one they saw. My goal is something in the 35-36" range with decent bases. If I see that, I will fire away. I also like the older broomed rams.I booked this hunt for the adventure, and I am sure there will be plenty of that. All the clients I have talked to have said they capped off when the guide gave the go ahead. I am sure I will be no different.

August can't come soon enough!!!!!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom