Damaged Bullet Question

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
What kind of accuracy impact would you expect from the bullet in the attached pic? I have 8 boxes of them. All dented like that.

I bought 10 boxes when I found them in late 2020. Federal Fusion, 300 WM, 165 grain. I was shooting 1"+ groups at 100 yards with my old boxes. Once I started shooting from the 10 box order, groups opened up. Now, I scrape them across some 220 grit sandpaper and group size is about 2".

I'm not a hand loader so I'm not sure what my options are. If it is an issue. Opinions welcomed! (Oh no, I'm sure that opens up a can of worms! :D :D )

Bullet Point.PNG

Since you have 10 boxes with damaged tips, and not a reloader. The only thing I can come up with is to file down the lead tips to where it is flush with the copper jacket tip. Then try to shoot a 3 or 5 shot group to see if the accuracy improves. Those damaged lead tips will cause you to loose accuracy.
If you were a reloader I would tell you to pull the bullets and load new bullets into the cases.
If you file down the tips, that small flat point will effect bullet drop at long range, but should be fine up to 300 yards before you see a big difference in bullet drop impact at ranges exceeding 300 yards.
RELH

Since he bought them 3 years ago, I do not think Federal will be willing to replace them. Federal will probably tell him that those bullets were damaged while being transported and the bullets bouncing around in the package with the soft lead nose striking the container they were in.
One reason why I carry my ammo box nose up when transporting then in a vehicle on rough roads. I have seen many bullets like this in the past as they are very prone to damage due to the very soft pointed lead tip.
When they were shipped from the Federal factory to the dealer they were probably loaded into the truck nose down while that truck was bouncing on a highway for many miles. Years ago when buying that type of ammo, I learned the hard way to open the box and inspect the bullets prior to buying. I lost count on how many deformed noses I found on soft lead spire point bullets.
RELH

Last edited:
Thanks guys. When the boxes arrived, I put them in my cabinet and they haven't moved. So shipping damage makes more sense than damage after I got them, or manufacturing damage.

I think I will contact Federal so see if they have any recommendations. I highly doubt they would exchange them. If it was the day after shipping, then that would be a different story.

Didn't think about filing the lead tip all the way down. Regarding shooting distance, I'm strictly sub-400 yard guy. And only over 300 when conditions are exactly right.

This gun was my BIL's (RIP) and this was the ammo he shot in it. I knew these were the best shooting ammo because he's the kind of guy that would spend $1000 shooting every factory ammo available until he found the one that shot the best. So I felt safe buying 10 boxes. Although I prefer the plastic/polymer tipped bullets for this reason.

Thanks again.

It should make a little difference in your BC but it should have no effect on accuracy.

Smooth them up and use them. but I'd come up with something else for long range those were never a great choice.

I agree the tips shouldn’t be affecting the accuracy much especially at 100 yards. Factory ammo can be drastically different from lot to lot also.
You could try cleaning them up and see if it changes anything.

Damage to the bullet tip will cause a small difference in accuracy. Damage to the bullet base will cause a larger difference in accuracy.
RELH

Based on the amount of damage I saw in the photo of the bullet tips, it could open groups to the 2" mark.
Removing that damaged lead nose should help groups. I hope he does file them down and shoot several groups and report back his findings.
RELH

Thanks for the info guys. Lots of good feedback. It may be a few weeks before I get to the range again. Headed to Wyoming next Thursday for a week, with a General tag.

Like RELH, I'd like to see the actual difference in groups As-Is, The J2K touch up, and the complete removal of the lead point. It's not like I have 8 boxes of the stuff to shoot!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom