Dan @ High Country Taxidermy

AIROHUNTER

Anyone use him?
Feedback good or bad would be helpful.

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

Just got my deer mount back from Dan. Looks great, EXCEPT it is turning to the wrong side. Was supposed to be a right turn and it ended up being a left turn. I had a few words with Dan and I just ended up getting screwed. You pay a premium to have him do it. Didn't care for his comment. "You signed the work order". Won't be back.

On a short haired cape he is tough to beat. The reason I say that is the short cape shows of the crazy amount of detail he puts into his mounts.
However I've seen some Nov capes that he has done that have the same amount of detail. Which to me doesn't look natural. When they are all puffed up in Nov you're probably not gonna see neck muscles and throat muscles.
He does a great job, but you'll definitely pay for it though. These two mounts ended up being $1000 each.

DSC01612.jpg

DSCF2466-1.jpg

Yes. looking for someone to mount the goat i will hopefully harvest next week. Do you have a go to Goat taxi?

My favorite hunts are because they were with friends and family not just because "I got one".

he did a black bear rug for back in 05. he did an amazing job I dint skin it very well was my first time (rookie) after he was done with it you couldn't tell at all that I screwed it up! I will definetly be using his skills again.

I have no idea who is the best goat guy is, but I'm sure Dan would do a good job. I have a few buddies who have killed goats, I'll check with them and let you know.

Don't know much about Dan's work, but Greg Heil at ReCreation Taxidermy in Nampa (formally of southern utah) Does some very very high quality work. I know he has some very well off clients that bring in trophy's to him from all over the world.

AIRO - Are you doing a full body mount or shoulder mount? I drew a goat tag and am still trying to decide. I need to get on the ball.

I browse these forums from time to catching up on the latest. I've never registered, but felt this topic needed my attention.

Over the years, doing taxidermy and meeting some of the best taxidermists in the world, I have gained knowledge of the art of taxidermy. I knew I could never be as good, but I could use the expertise I learned in judging. I have seen everything from the best to the worst there is out there. Several years ago, I was looking for a Taxidermist in Idaho and like you started looking into the various options available. What I found was Dan at High Country Taxidermy. From my experience and what I know about him, he is a top shelf taxidermist. He is honest and cares about his customers as much as the work he does for them. I've also heard a rumor that he provides a discount to Vets (anyone looking out for Vets can't bad!). During discussions with Dan, I quickly learned that he and his assistant have over 50 years combined taxidermy experience and they don't believe in cutting corners, but use the best products and techniques available. Something a lot of the general public don't realize is Taxidermists have show quality mounts and customer quality mounts. Everything leaving High Country Taxidermy is show quality, I see it every time I drop by the shop. Additionally, every time I go into Dan?s shop with a new mount he takes the time to go over every detail of the mount he's doing for me and itemizes all of the information on a job ticket. He has me review the information and sign it for accuracy before he begins any work.

Not sure what htnfool is complaining about. If most would take their time and learn, they would know what direction is correct. I don't know if you have had other taxidermy work done. If this was your first I can understand a miscommunication. But, if not this one is on you guy, if you truly think it was decided to go the other direction, you should of read the work order thoroughly, crossed your T?s and dotted your I?s and realized that it was written down wrong. Was it your signature on the ticket? For the future when talking left and right turn, it is the animals left and right?Be the animal. You stated Dan did nothing to correct the issue, what would have made it right to you..a discount?? There you have it someone trying to justify a discount. It always amazes me that hunters will spend thousands even tens of thousands to go on a hunt (or buy special hunting clothes, guns, spotting scopes, atv?s, trailers, etc.) and then complain about the expense of taxidermy. Squabbling over a few dollars on a piece of art that will look as good on the day they die as it did on the day it was mounted (that is if they go to a premium taxidermist such as Dan).

Yoyak: the mounts you posted showing the work Dan completed for you are unbelievable. If you only paid around $1,000 each you got a deal. Work of this quality outside of Idaho is MUCH higher. You can't believe the time it takes to cure the velvet and make it look right, it is an art. I realize the long haired muscle detail it is not for everyone, but you have to understand that big mule deer early rut and rut are built. As hunters we usually only see dead animals up close after they've lost all life.

I know I'm rambling on and on, it's just I hate to see such a good person and from what I know one of the best Taxidermists anywhere becoming the victim of some minor mud-slinging.

As for your goat mount, I can't imagine anyone will provide a better mount than Dan at High Country Taxidermy. Goats take a great amount of care. Having done, being around and judging taxidermy I know there will be a minimum of 20+hrs just in grooming a life size goat hide. The hair is terribly knotted and thrashed when shot and even when it comes back from the best tanners. It is very fragile and pulls out at the root much easier than most hides. Do yourself a favor and compare goat mounts. Learn what is anatomically correct and get nothing but a full body mount, that is what a goat mount is about. I wish you the best of luck, remember whoever mounts it, you'll be looking at it for the rest of your life. Do your homework and learn and good mount from a bad mount period.

BIGDOG

BIGDOG- I don't think Dan is the victim of any "mudslinging" here. Basically every comment has had good things to say.

My comments about detail on thick caped bucks is just a personal preference thing. Most people prefer that extra detail even on november capes. It does look bad ass just not realistic compared to the deer I watch and film through Nov-Jan. If I had a November buck I'd probably still take it to Dan, I just might ask for less throat and neck detail.

As for the cost, I'm not bitching, worth every penny. But when a lot of taxidermists are nearly half the cost, I think people should know what top notch taxidermy costs.

I'm anxiously awaiting htnfool's response.

im sitting in my office looking at 5 pieces of dan's work. (mtn goat,mulie,bull elk, antelope and bear) i cant find a flaw in any of them and there is plenty of extra life-like detail. i know i always pay a little extra for his work, but its well worth it, in my opinion. i had 3 or 4 heads done by another taxi in town. He did a great job on the first one and then the work went downhill. The flaws bothered me every time i looked at the heads. as long as i can afford it...ill always pay a little extra for dan's work.

Dan has mounted several of my buddies animals and this year i didnt even hesitate to take my elk to him. He not only does really really impressive work but he cares what you think and wants it the way you want it. He can modify mounts, add turns, stuff like that to make the mount unique and exactly what you want.

He does really impressive work, the best i have seen in person. A no brainer in my eyes.

>On a short haired cape he
>is tough to beat.
> The reason I say
>that is the short cape
>shows of the crazy amount
>of detail he puts into
>his mounts.
>However I've seen some Nov capes
>that he has done that
>have the same amount of
>detail. Which to me
>doesn't look natural. When
>they are all puffed up
>in Nov you're probably not
>gonna see neck muscles and
>throat muscles.
>He does a great job, but
>you'll definitely pay for it
>though. These two mounts
>ended up being $1000 each.
>
>
>
DSC01612.jpg

>
>
DSCF2466-1.jpg

Agree totally, I've seen a lot of mounts lately that show way too much detail,as far ad muscle tone on winter coated deer that wouldn't be seen on live deer. I like my deer to look natural not on steroids. I've never used them(as I mount my own) but been in imperial taxidermy in caldwell and the work looked faboulous.

>Dan Morrow
>
>High country taxidermy
>
>Meridian id
>
> +1 (208) 288-1482

Thanks! Found him and he is apparently guiding his wife on a 45 mule deer hunt. will catch him next week. Spoke to his right hand man, Phil, though and he was knowledgeable.

Yeah his wife was lucky enough to get a great tag and she smacked a great buck. Glad you gave him a shot, i know i wont regret my decision in about 9 months haha

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom