Day pack

Lawrence

Looking for a cool(temperature)day pack, with the most comfortable and accessible rifle scabbard. Looking to get the rifle off my shoulder. Will be carrying my Spotter and tripod. Price isn't an issue. What do you guys recommend?

I bought an Eberlestock J34 this year and find it very comfortable and useful. I bought it for the rifle scabard and I've been wearing it every day on my conditioning hikes with about 30 lbs. of sandbags in it. I also got the 2 liter water bladder for it. I'm having trouble getting used to the bladder as I'm an old guy used to bottles. It's over 100 degrees each day where I live and I found the support system on the J34 to vent fairly well. I bought it for an upcoming sheep hunt and so far it is working quite well. The J34 lists for $279.00 bit Kentrek has them for $249.00.

Kifaru Pack (pick one) with a gunbearer or any other pack you like and then buy a universal gunbearer for it. Greatest thing since sliced bread! Accessible and comfortable.

What is important to me in a hunting daypack is: LIGHT weight, camo, QUIET cloth, lots of pockets, quick and QUIET access to gear, padded shoulder straps, quality harness, and belt, lots of outside straps, and WATERPROOF. Solid zippers and material that can withstand the test of time are also top on my list...I don't know how many cheap daypacks I tossed because the zippers went out!

You may notice that the top thing on my list is pack weight. You may want to put some of the daypacks you are interested in on a scale....some are 2 to 5 lbs heavier than others. I don't know about you but I'd rather not be lugging that much more weight over the hills...I like to cover lots of country as light as possible!

I'm going to try out a Sitka 45 this fall. It is super light and has many of the features I mentioned above. I've used Badlands for years. They have great zippers, solid materials, great warrantee, and have done me well. I beat my packs to death and have always been impressed with Badlands. The Sitka is a little lighter weight so I plan on trying it out this fall.

I just recently picked up the Badlands Hydra-vent day pack. Its large enough to carry extra gear if need be yet small enough with load bearing straps to keep it nice and tight to your body. It also has their patented back ventilation system which cut my back sweat in half at least which is nice when you get to 10,000ft and there is a nice cool breeze. It feels light and has good access to it. fits my 100oz bladder just fine and has a pocket specifically designed to carry a spotting scope. hope it helps.

I am very happy with my Eberlestock Gunslinger for a day pack or for short excursions. This way I almost always have what I need. It may seem a little heavy or big, but better to have and not need...

I appreciate all the input. I have initially decided to try the Eberlestock X1A1. The guy said I could return it if I didn't like it. I should receive it any day. I'll let you guys know what my personal opinion of it is. Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom