Daypack question

cjboz

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-15 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]This last fall I used my dads Badlands Monster Fanny pack on my hunt in Nv. I liked the pack but not the straps. After wearing it for 10 days the straps began to become annoying as the have no padding and start to the back of your neck. I have a badlands 2200 that I like due to the harness system but for busting off ridges and making day hunts it's impractical to me. Before anyone asks or tells me to do a search of the Forums, I have extensively. So my question is, is there a small pack with good shoulder straps in a fanny pack style out there?? I only need enough room for a few bottled water, snack bars, knife, wallet/tag, gps, some shells, flagging tape and wind puffer bottle. I've looked at the tenzing pack but the straps are similar to the badlands. Thx any suggestions would be great

How are the straps and shoulder harness system on the Mini me Hydro by Eberlestock or the Tail hook?

Have you looked at some of the compressible packs that you could haul meat out with instead of going back to the truck for a real pack?
I can't think of a fanny pack that is going to be all that comfortable even without weight in it.

Kifaru Spike Camp is a great day pack but not fanny pack style. It will compress down to next to nothing, will carry a platypus so your water bottles aren't making noise and will open up to carry out a deer in a single load. Stays tight to your body and is as comfortable as can be with 100 lbs in it.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Look at the Nimrod Packs made in Washington. Their products started as fire fighting equipment but their hunting packs are top notch. They start with a basic belt and shoulder harness with numerous packs that attach to the harness. The basic pinnacle pack is what you seem to be looking for. I've used the pinnacle day pack on hunts in NM and Colorado over the past five years and it has held up well. The shoulder straps are adjustable and well padded.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-15 AT 04:58AM (MST)[p]Why not go with a bino chest rig with a water bladder?

Sounds like you need extra pockets. Let's see if I remember:
right front pants pocket-wind puffer bottle and knife.
right lower pants pocket-elk call, elk lure(if elk hunting), and fire starting stuff.
Left front pants pocket-gps/iPhone,
Left lower pants pocket-water bottle,
Right rear pants pocket-wallet/tags,
Left rear pocket-toilet paper in a baggie,
If wearing a coat-extra clothes and extra water in the pockets.
If hard hiking was involved, all water was held in the hands.
I don't like fanny packs! I would wear a full size pack before I would use one.

Sounds like you don't want Badlands but I just picked up a Reactor from them a couple months ago and love it so far. I, like you, have a 2200 and found it terribly heavy for day trips. I could do a 5 day backcountry hunt with that thing so I needed a day pack. Reactor is super light and stays very close to your body, its very comfortable. Kinda forget your wearing it. Also comes with the bladder and has plenty of room for everything you need during the day and more. Oh, and the shoulder straps are padded too!

Ryan

I second the Crooked Horn packs!

Mine is the masterguide two! Absolutely love it. Its not too big and not too small. Its Perfect!
VERY durable. I will never have to buy another day pack!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...n-outfitters-masterguide-ii-backpack?a=434771

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

>Sounds like you don't want Badlands
>but I just picked up
>a Reactor from them a
>couple months ago and love
>it so far. I, like
>you, have a 2200 and
>found it terribly heavy for
>day trips. I could do
>a 5 day backcountry hunt
>with that thing so I
>needed a day pack. Reactor
>is super light and stays
>very close to your body,
>its very comfortable. Kinda forget
>your wearing it. Also comes
>with the bladder and has
>plenty of room for everything
>you need during the day
>and more. Oh, and the
>shoulder straps are padded too!
>
>
>Ryan

Reactor is a great light pack and fits so its really easy to move around with it on and loaded.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom