Daypack vs. Expandable

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON May-16-10 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]Soooo, here's my typical hunting situation. I'd like to get your guys input on a pack recommendation...hope it hasn't been beat to death already!:

Hunt type: Usually day trips. Spot and stalk.
Exertion: Lots of hiking
Weapon: Bow
Equipment: Full size tripod, spotter

My pack considerations:
Daypacks: Hypervent, Slingshot, BC Western, Mainbeam
Expandables: JP9 Blue Widow

Daypack Pros: Lighter, easier to use on a daily basis, cooler (Hypervent). Less expensive

Daypack Cons: Cant comfortably carry a bow, meat, or tripod.

Expandable Pros: Can condense to <2200ci, ability to carry tripod/spotter/meat/heavy loads, negates having to go back to the truck for a pack frame, has a detachable fanny pack for short runs and final stalks.

Expandable Cons: Heavier off the bat, bulky, hotter, more expensive.

Whatcha guys think? Any recommendations? Know of a daypack that can handle a full size tripod and spotter?

Thanks all!

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Kifaru Late Season or Spike Camp is my $.02. BL 2200 would be a good choice as well. Like boots, try as many as possible.

I'll check em out hunting1. Thanks for the recommendation. Are they strictly online? It'd be hard to spend $400+ on something that I haven't seen.

I can only comment on the Hypervent. My 80 mm spotter fits in the spotter sleeve and I don't have any problems packing a High Country tripod with it as well.

I have the HH Mainbeam and haul my tripod, spotter, and bow on it all the time while hiking into my hunting spots. It has vertical pockets dedicated for a tripod on one side, and a spotter on the other side. The bow mounts on the rear/outside of the pack. Another really cool thing that I love is it has a bow hook on the belt. So if you are hiking with your bow in your hand and want to glass something with your bino's, you just hook your string on the bow hook and the bow hangs from the belt of the pack.

Here's a link.

https://sophuntinggear.com/Products...md/CatalogItemDetails/psmid/1977/Default.aspx

}}-SLIVER-->

mmwb, how do you carry your tripod on the Hypervent? It doesn't look like you can strap it too many places.

Sliver
The Mainbeam is a contender in the daypack realm. I have a hook for my bow; but it'd be nice to be able to put it on the pack if I need to scramble up a moutain or something. Looks like it would be able to hold one on some straps though. Not bad

They are only online as well MR and the likes, but they will take it back no questions if you were not happy. I like you was sceptical, but very happy and wish I had done it sooner. Good luck and I would try to find a used G1 unless you have over a 20" torso.

Good rec Damer. It doesn't look like it has any kind of internal frame...What's your take on carrying a load or equipment?

Eberlestock has modified the X2 for 2010, it will have a beefier hip belt and an interal frame. From what I understand they should be available about the 1st of June.

Gotcha, thanks WYelkhunter. I remember my Outdoorsman's magazine mentioned something about that. If it has a frame, it might move up in the ranks..

I have the original X2, and it does have a frame. It's hard to explain, not super rigid, but does have 2 metal bands that act like a "flex frame". For a daypack I dont know if you can go wrong with an X2!

I have on occasion put the tripod in the pack, but more often have it on the outside, along side the scope pocket. The wing buckles around it, often with one leg on the outside of it and then there is a buckled loop on the bottom of the pack that grabs the legs lower down. I also tend to have a couple of small bungees for things on the outside as added measure. A compound can be easily attached to the back as well, though my longbow was a bit long. I use the Kaifu gunbearer (http://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html) for attaching a rifle.

thanks mmwb
I took a look at a Hypervent last night, and definitely liked the idea of it. And definitely cheaper than the $300 Blue Widow

My preference is to hunt with a fairly large daypack and pack camp, meat, etc with a over-sized internal frame pack. I have tried quite a few different scenerios over the years and this is what works for my style of hunting.

Your number 1 consideration is to use packs that are designed for the purpose they were designed for. Many packs have a weight load rating. If you try to take shortcuts or buy an intermediate pack trying to make 1 pack work for everything you likely will be disappointed.

I hunt with a fairly large, quiet cloth daypack with lots of pockets, straps, attachment points. This allows me to access gear quickly, quietly, and effectively. Overall it is extremely comfortable and lightweight so I can cover lots and lots of country without bulk and weight. It is also small enough that I don't have problems stalking through thick brush. Waterproof to keep my gear and expensive equipment dry. It is made of extremely durable fabrics that are quiet but stand up to the test of time. Top of the line zippers are a must...I hate when zippers go bad! Also a neccesity is having a compartment that is large enought so I can leave my scope attached to tripod...that I can access quick and quietly and it is still protected from the elements. Outer straps for tying on sheds, jackets, gear, etc are also great. Sometimes I may need to securely strap on my bow/rifle so I have my hands free.

Next comes my meat/camp pack. I have about the largest internal frame pack made and it was specifically designed for my particular body shape (torso length, etc). Fit is critical when it comes to packing extreme weights on steep, rough terrain. Extremely important are hip belts, shoulder straps that fit your body like a glove and provide lots of adjustments. I adjust my pack in a number of places depending upon whether I am packing uphill, downhill, or flat.

Other items that are great on an oversized pack is a large enough bag that I can pack an entire boned moose hind quarter. That is the largest piece of meat I have ever carried and would expect to ever carry. I'd like to see someone try to pack out a moose hind quarter with a 2,200 to 4,000 cu in pack!

I never have worried about my hauling pack not being camo. You may find out that you can buy the very best mountaineering pack on the market for a lot cheaper than some of the hunting packs that some hunters seem to rave about. My internal frame pack is also a lot lighter weight than other packs.

Other items to look for in a quality hauling pack are quick dry back...obviously internal frames are up against your back so it is great if it is fast dry material. Side strap and pocket for hauling bow/rifle. Access from the top and possibly other access pts from the bottom or side. Excellent zippers and fabric. I have a breakaway tray that seperates the top from the bottom. If I am hauling a hind qtr I can remove it so I have more depth. The tray also allows me to pack my gear/load so that weight is distributed in the right areas...very important!

I'm not sure if this is what you wanted to hear but is what has worked for me for years....and I've hiked a heck of a lot of miles and packed out quite a few critters!

Great post jims, and your experience is much appreciated.

Might I ask what packs you have?

Regarding my daypack choice, my most ideal and likely situation would be to be able to pack out a boned mule deer in one trip...with a daypack. It would be ideal for me to have a pack that is able to carry my tripod/scope/minimal gear and then be able to fill the interior with a boned out mule deer....and not have to hike all the way back for trip #2(I would make exception and necessity for elk...but who knows when i'll get drawn..) I suppose these reasons are why I thought of the Blue Widow, since it can cinch down to 2000ci but expand to >4000....and has the detachable fanny pack for the final run/stalk.

Would you be able to do that with your daypack? I've been leaning towards the BlacksCreek Western, HH Mainbeam...as I cant spend for Mystery Ranch or Outdoorsmans.

thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom