dead head question

• Thread starter GHOSTINTHEWOODS
  • Start date
Not to sure. But if you live in Utah and bring the deadhead from wyo to here youll still get a ticket. not sayin your from UT but just incase

-Cody AKA BigBuck92

You can bring them into Utah IF you have the proper documentation that the head was obtained legally. In Wyoming you must have a F&G officer investigate and legalize the skull. Arizona requires a F&G officer to sign off on the head also. Colorado had the same law, but I am not sure how they work it now. Idaho has no laws, as far as I know, so that could be a grey area for Utah.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

No, Colorado has no such law. Sheds and dead skulls require no documentation...but the skull better not be dripping with blood or someone may have so "splaning" to do...as Ricky Ricardo would say...:)

toughshed, so am I understanding you right. You can pick them up in colorado with no problems?

yep he speaks the truth. i picked up arround 10 skulls last year. i cut the heads off of fresh ones on the highway to.
its keeps me awake when i am driving to look for roadkill. almost run off the road pretty often though.

i have talked to the game warden in my area and he said it was fine. i told him if he went in my basement it would look like i have been poaching for quite some time. he laughed and said i was fine. he stated that skulls are "non-edible portions" and are fine. but to take any meat from roadkill you have to go through the dow.
i would hate it if i couldnt pick up skulls

here's one I brought home..scores about 310...

salwithrack.jpg

here's some mulies with a small bull, all found dead...sorry bout the crappy pic...

IM000161.jpg

the 2 on the far right are my dads and mine from last year. the rest are ones that i picked up. 2 from this year and 2 from last. i picked up way more than that those are just some of the better ones.(the one on the far left is a cross)
DSC00485.jpg

would I still get in trouble if I brought them into utah probably, huh. I can't find any info on it on colorado's division web site.

Ghost you can pick them up in Wyoming but if you don't cut the horns from the skull you must get a interstate game tag put on it.

longwalker, so if I find a head and saw them off the skull plate they are legal?

Help me out here... I believe its only legal to pick up heads in Colorado if your on PRIVATE ground... not public.. You have to make a phone call if your on public land... True or False?

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

I wish someone could clear this up for sure, colo, wyo, private, public? cause I can't find info on it anywhere.

I had a taalk with a wyomin game warden. In Wyoming if you pick one up and want it all intact you will have to get a interstate game tag on it. You just go to a regional office and they sell them there, I think they are 5 bucks or something. If you saw the horns off so no skull is attached no tag is needed in the state, now I don't know if that still apply's if you want to take them out of state, that may be something you want to check on.

I Just got back from Rock Springs Wyoming. I found a dead buck, probably a few weeks old, a small 4 point with eyeguards. I reported it to the Game Department and the warden said he would investigate it and then I could have it but it probably be a week. He is supposed to call me. However I'm not driving 17 hours back to Rock Springs to pick it up. Maybe it will still be there next time I go through.

Ghost, I can only speak for Colorado...

Public or private land no difference...it is PERFECTLY LEGAL to pickup a dead skull with antlers attached.

Now, that being said, if you come strolling out of the woods at any time with a really fresh head that you may have legitimately found dead, your gonna get quizzed by the DOW...you might even be asked to show them the place where you found it and if they think it might have been poached by someone they are gonna take the skull for evidence. You might get it back after the investigation.

SO, again, legal in Colorado to pick up skulls on public and private land.

Ghost--getting back to your original post...Last week I was out calling coyotes and found a fairly fresh dead small 4 point buck. In Fact I popped a coyote off the carcass. I just looked at it and left. I got home called the game and fish. They sent somebody to investigate the next day. I was there with him and after the investigation I said I would like the horns without the skull plate attached. So I whipped out my Wyoming saw cut the antlers off like they were naturally shed and went home. No $5.00 transportation tag needed.

Long...why would game and fish send someone out to investigate a dead buck? Do they have that much time on their hands? Unless it is a trophy, it's hard to get Colorado DOW to come look at anything, let alone some small deer that could have died from a variety of causes. Funny that the antlers can be sawed off and no problem, but if attached to the skull some special permit is needed. Since it's the antlers that make the trophy, the infatuation with the skull seems odd...oh well...

I am in Wyoming and have been picking up heads for longer than most of you have been weaned. The last couple of years here the Game and Fish require that you notify them as soon as possible, even before you remove the head if it looks suspicious or is near a road so they can investigate. We have called the local warden from on the mountain several times. Once he met us on the highway into town to sell us the $5 interstate game tag, once we took it to his house on the way home. Usually we go to the field office the next day to get it tagged. The wardens know my hiking buddy and I, they trust us and are glad for the mortality information. If they don't know you and have any reason to suspect they can and will keep the head. Bighorn Rams are especially touchy, they have to be tagged and plugged as soon as possible and if you find it dead near a road just go call a warden he will investigate. By the way I have a legaly tagged and plugged 7 year old ram for sale that I picked up last spring. You won't see the 12 year old ram from 4 years ago for sale though.I have found 30+ elk heads this fall alone--- in Yelowstone--- they are ALL right where I found them!

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom