DEAD?

W

Wingshooter

Why does this forum die at the close of the season? Are Blacktail hunters less passionate about thier hunting than others? I might be wrong, but the other forums have new posts daily.
Christian..........

It could just be that the majority of us do not have the opportunity to hunt them due to the limited range. I killed a 127" blacktail with my bow a few years back and I drop in here from time to time. Have a good one, Drummond Lindsey

That's awesome! A 127" Blacktail is a great buck! And with a bow yet. I might get flack for this, but the way I see it, a 127" Blacktail is a tougher trophy than a 170+ Mule Deer. Why aren't more people fired up about that? At least with Muleys you usually get to see some big bucks while hunting, Out here I feel lucky to see 10 legal bucks during a season, and only one or two are going to be bragable.
As for the majority, it seems people have no qualms about driving 1000 miles for a Mule deer, whats wrong with the Blacktail? To tough? LOL!!!!!!!
Later
Christian.....

Wing, it might just be the places where Blacktail live. You should hear the flax I get when I tell people I go to Calif. to hunt turkeys.

WingShooter:

I'd have to agree this forum is dead these days. I would post more if I had the time. I am usually only home on the weekends. I stay at a friends house during the week because it is closer to the college. I'll post again at the end of the week. I am going to be going on a muzzle loading hunt this weekend before the season closes. Finally we got some rain here ( wa ) it has been so dry lately the deer bottle up in the woods making a stock impossible. well I'll be around...Jordan

Congrats on the huge buck! the biggest I have managed to get is a 107 inch 3x3. Do you have any pictures you'd like to post? Or the details? B_B

Well it's nice to know this page still gets visits. I find myself reeding the posts on the other pages just to fill time.
Christian........

I bowhunt them every year. My best to date is a 125" typical from California. I actually arrowed two this year that make the book, nothing huge though. They're posted in the archery forum.

I think the main reason not a lot of people get excited about blacktail is their antler size. Let's face it, a 130" net blacktail is huge. But to most folks who simply know mule deer, it's just a 130" buck.

However, for those of us who have tried to out smart a trophy blacktail, we know the difficulty involved. My hunting partner has the state record (archery) that net scores 148 5/8" P&Y. We hunted that buck for 3 years before he finally outsmarted him. They are incredible deer.

BOHNTR )))-------->

Hey Wingshooter -- after checking out blacktailcountry.com (thanks Niel), I'm coming back to roost. I've been pounding the Sierra Nevadas looking for any legal buck and coming up empty. I thought muleys were the bigguns', but not after seeing what's coming out of the A and B zones. See my post to Niel for background. It's been a while since I've visited the A zone. Used to head out of Lodoga and hunt the Goat Mountain area, but that got crowded and hot...and never really did well there anyhow.

This season DFG cut the D5 season by about a week (started 2 weeks late, ended 1 week later = net loss of 1 week). Figure if I get an A and D5 tag, I can rifle hunt from Aug. through the first weekend of Nov. Haven't told the wife of my plans yet.

I cut my eye teath on blacktails, it took me 20 years of hunting blackies before I started taking big bucks...

I started hunting N Ca. in 1969, with my first buck at 15 years of age a 17" 3x3. In 1980 I finally took a 22"er a 150 class animal, then in 89 I took my first 24"er he was a heavy 4x3, then in 91 I took a 27" 4x5 a 170 class buck, then in 97 I took a 28 & 3/4" 7x6 with two drops, I never scored him..

most of the bucks pic's are in the photo dpt. under Manny's blacktail bucks, this year I chased a 27" to 28" buck the last 4 days of this last season, I couldn't get closer then 600 yrds to him.

I never have taken a 30" mule deer yet,, I said yet..if I can just get drawn for one of the X - zone's it should be a done deal..I think the reason I never have taken a 30" muley in other states is because you need time to scout before the season opens they always won the test, I've seen plenty of 30's and my boy's have shot at a couple, they were lucky enough to draw X tag's before..

anyways yah, not to many people are interested in blactail site's but if it's a big buck then I wanna see it..I filmed 23" 4x4 buck chasing doe's yesturday..later Manny15'

You guys are makeing me JEALOUS!!!!! I dream of deer like those. Oh, I know a few places where I could get a shot at a monster, however I lack the permission to hunt the property. Some day. This was actually the first season I saw a true 4x4 while hunting. He wasn't real big, but that didn't stop me from trying to put the sneek on him. Too bad it didn't come together...........Christian

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-02 AT 01:37AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-02 AT 01:36?AM (MST)

Hey all! Hope your holiday season is going well! I dont post much, but I surely read all of your comments and tips. Thanks!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom