deadening a bow

hhunter23

so now that archery season is done for me now, i want to try and tune my bow to get it quieter and as dead feeling as i can in my hand after the shot. the bow is an '07 Bowtech Allegiance, my draw length is 30" and the weight is set to 71lbs. after i shoot, it has kind of a thump to it. is it possible to make an older bow such as mine quieter? am i looking at a lot of trial and error. the local bow shop didnt think it sounded all that bad, but i am not convinced. maybe its just me? or is it just time to upgrade to a newer bow? thanks for the input and thoughts. anything will help.

"Shoot Straight"

The best way to quiet a bow in this order

1. Make sure the bow is tuned. Meaning it will shoot a bullet hole at multiple distance. Heck make sure it will shoot a bare shaft at 40 yards and hit what your aiming at. Mine all do

2. Make sure you have a quiet rest. Some rest are just prone to noise

3. Shoot a heavy arrow

4. Add a string stop to your bow

5. Add limbsavers to your limbs

6. Add weight to the string like leaches or cat whiskers which does not put energy into your arrow. This is the last resort imho. These also can make it hard to tune your bow if your picky as i am tuning.

7. Make sure all your bolts, screws, ect are tight

that should cover it

who farted?

ive had the bow tuned once before archery season started and it was shooting bullet holes then and i still am now. i shoot a whisker biscuit rest, not much noise?? im thinking of changing to a QAD drop away. im shooting a 29" 7595 Gold tip XT Hunter with 100grn broad heads. i havent actually weighed my arrow so im not sure how much it weighs. string stop-check. limbsavers-check. i have nothing on my string as i was informed that it really reduces the FPS but still not out of the question. and all the bolts have been tightened and checked. maybe the next step is to put some monkey tails or some type of weight on the string to help dampen the string? thanks for the thoughts and advice.

"Shoot Straight"

I would add the string leach weight to your arrow before I'd add the string leaches.
Adding the weight to your arrow if done correctly can quiet a bow as much as the leaches. The differences is you get the ke in the arrow.

Try adding some lighted nocks and go to 125 grain tips. You won't be messing with spine of your arrow like you would if you just add tip weight. It will only be about 40/50 grains. =15 or so fps loss. You will still shoot faster than anything I can throw.

who farted?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom