Deadhead Repair

W

waterbuck

I have an awesome dead head that I need to refurbish. What is the best fill for cracks, and stain for the color on a chalky rack?

1669old_school.jpg

some advice i was given was to put wood putty on it to fill in the cracks. i had a buddy do it and it worked perfect.

Don't pass on the first day if you would shoot it the last day

Waterbuck-Have you done the deadhead yet?I wouldn't use the wood putty if I were you.It stains differently from the rest of the antler.I know you had this posted in another forum as well.Several responses were to experiment on other antlers before doing anything.This is excellent advice.Can't wait to see the "after" pics of that giant!!

I have not started yet. I was going to take it to a taxidermist, but I was unable to find one that has a lot of experience in this process. If they are going to learn as they go, I might as well do it. I need to get going, but I have been trying to get info, I don't want to screw it up. I think I can use the putty if I color it with brush on - wipe off paint from Van Dyke's and not stain. I have seen a couple of before and afters with that product and it seems to work very well. I also talked to a tech at Van Dyke's, and if i need to, I can seal it before I paint, which will help the color be more uniform. I will try it on a shed first and post pics when I am done.

Thanks for everyone's input.

You could try staining it first, and then mixing different colors of putty to match the stain. Once the putty is mixed it will stay that color with no need to brush on or wipe off any paint. I would seal the antlers before anything else or the stain may not come out to your liking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom