Deadliest Catch

Roy

Who watched last night? Did it just blow you away about Capt. Phil? The Cornelia Marie isn't the same without him. Looks like Capt. Colburn will have a big bump on his head too.

Coolest freaking show on TV.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

missed it last night :(. its one of the best shows on TV. So Capt. Phil never made it back? sad thing about his health

Damn you for not posting spoiler warnings!!!!! Phil is about the best guy on the whole show, which I agree is about the best show on TV by far!

Pretty good anti tobacco episode last night. I notice it didn't stop anyone though except the captain who chews.

Live until you die, I guess!

Cool show!

Eel

49d778ac3681054a.jpg

Awesome show, It has been my
favorite show on TV since it
started, The trailors show
another ship goes down, and I
hope it isn't on of the fleet.

I can't wait till next week,
I look forward to every episode.

I watch it but missed last night, so what happened to Phil? And what's up with it didn't stop anyone from chewing?

Marco, Phil was ready to depart the dock when his doctor called and said it would be too risky for him, as he still had health issues. So he stayed and let some other guy run the boat. But Phil still smokes.

One captain was waiting to get his biopsy report from the doctor. He had some kind of sore in his mouth from chew. His biopsy was negative for cancer, but was warned to quit chew. He said he would have to quit.

It seems almost everyone chain smokes as they kept showing close ups of lit cigarettes.

At least that was MY take on it.

Eel

49d778ac3681054a.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]That show is played out! It's always the same. They smoke, look for crab, they b*tch about stuff, catch some crab, they smoke, someone goes overboard, a ship may sink, they smoke and b*tch some more......

Wake me when something new happens with that show, Roy.

"A ship may sink," people die, but then what the hell who cares.

Maybe you should go back to watching real shows, like General Hospital or The Young and the Restless, now thats real entertainment.

I've stood on the deck of the Time Bandit and many more crab boats as I delivered salmon to them as they tendered during the off season. I've seen the bent rails and marks from knocking off ice so they won't roll over. I fished the Bering Sea for over 30 years for Sockeye salmon and believe me when I tell you how tough it can be at times. You woudn't catch me fishing for crab on one of these boats, I like life too much.

Don't watch it, I don't care, but don't make light of a show that is real, and peoples lives are on the line. Go back to watching fake shows that only pretend to be putting peoples lives on the line, because on this show its real, someone could die at any minute. But then you don't care now do you.

I record every episode and watch every one, because I think its one of the best shows on TV.

>Sounds like KKK is into spongebob...
>

I like Squarebutts and I cannot lie..... LOL

In the mornings I watch Curious George first, then Sid the Science Kid comes on and I can't stand Sid, so we switch over to Clifford. Then we catch Dora the Explorer, Ni-Hao-Ki-Lan, Backyardigans (such a cute show!) and then Diego. Can't miss Diego, man! ;-) (these are on in the background as I do my morning routine...I have a 3 year old at home)

I'm just giving Roy a hard time though. I like Deadliest Catch. But, I really don't watch much tv. I'm busy at night, so I TiVo, but not many shows.

I'm a huge Scrubs fan. I also love The Office, My Name is Earl, & 30 Rock. I love SNL, too. I also love Survivor and Celebrity apprentice. I started watching Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice, but those shows are really stupid and not that great. I'm sucked into the storyline though.

I like to watch Survivorman and Man Vs. Wild and a few other random shows if the kids have it on. We like Man Vs. Food around here, too, and my husband is always watching The Food Network. My 5 year old calls Rachel Ray "My favorite girl". He LOVES to watch Rachel Ray. lol He came into the kitchen crying the other day...just pouting and crying....I asked him what was wrong and he said, "Karter turned off Rachel Ray!". LOL What a mean big brother, huh?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 03:03PM (MST)[p]>
>I've stood on the deck of
>the Time Bandit and many
>more crab boats as I
>delivered salmon to them as
>they tendered during the off
>season. I've seen the bent
>rails and marks from knocking
>off ice so they won't
>roll over. I fished the
>Bering Sea for over 30
>years for Sockeye salmon and
>believe me when I tell
>you how tough it can
>be at times. You woudn't
>catch me fishing for crab
>on one of these boats,
>I like life too much.
>

Good for you.

>
>Don't watch it, I don't care,
>but don't make light of
>a show that is real,
>and peoples lives are on
>the line. Go back to
>watching fake shows that only
>pretend to be putting peoples
>lives on the line, because
>on this show its real,
>someone could die at any
>minute. But then you don't
>care now do you.
>

Go take a nap! You obviously stayed up too late watching the show my brother, Roy, reveres as the best show EVAH! as well. And don't mess with me and make such a big fuss over a stupid tv show. For hell's sake! Don't ever make assumptions about what I like or dislike or care or don't care about.

Don't mess with me, PERIOD.

Apex.........you are on overload buddy!

In the first place...it's just TV.

In the second place, the wages are high because the risk is high. You will please notice the lack of Rocket Scientists on these crews.

It is GREAT entertainment, no question, but it ain't on the same page with a squad of Marines in Iraq at $2.59 an hour.

Lastly, you must be fairly young....DO NOT START AN ARGUMENT WITH AN ARMED WOMAN....fOOL!

Jenn, I get pissy when someone turns Rachel Ray off at my house too!

I heard this season they will be aboard the SS claude dallas. Should make for interesting TV. They set traps out of season, keep anything they feel like, and get hostile when those pesky Coast Guard boats pull alongside. Apparently they work in the same fleet as the SS jackrussel and SS nevadabadger. This year the Coast Guard will be watching extra closely to ensure they keep the madatory seperation distance between vessels as last year the boats kept ramming one another in the rear.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 05:23?PM (MST)

Nickman, Im only a little younger than you, I'm 54 and I didn't like the inference that ships sink, oh well.
People die when ships sink in the Bering Sea. I fished there for 30 years, so no, I'm not a teeny bopper.
Why do you think they call it Deadliest Catch, more commercial fishermen are killed per capita than any other occupation, look it up.
I didn't say it was brain surgery but those guys work long hard hours in a very hostile environment.
Its reality TV that is real, and thats more than I can say about most of the so called reality shows.
And KKK I really don't care what shows you watch, I'm just saying I didn't like the sinking ship comment.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]Apex, My "young" comment was in reference to argueing with women in general.

My comment about pay - risk, still holds.

People in all occupations die at work. Most of them don't make what these fishermen do. They aren't doing it for anything but the money either. They aren't heros and are getting a bundle of cash playing to the camera.

Again, I think it is great entertainment.....but "Real", it is not. I am not putting down what you did for 30 years, all I am saying is, it wasn't community service....I expect you goy paid.

They have a guy out there titled "Director of Photography". The Discovery Channel is making a TON of money and this years budget is huge.

They WILL produce a show you will like.....no matter what it costs, how many retakes are required, or how much drama has to be invented.

And as for standing on the deck of the "Time Bandit", how cool.I would pay $30 for one of their T-shirts.

I landed on the deck of the USS Enterprise.(maybe 50 times) Now what?

Apex - pay no mind to the mad woman behind the curtain! LOL

She is just being sarcastic to razz me! She loves the show and respects what they do.

But I don't agree Nickman - it is as real as it gets! The shots are authentic, 1000's and 1000's of hours of film for each episode - the manupulation comes in the production and editing! Though I do admit, that the phone call Phil received right before shove off was pretty dramatic - you could argue maybe even staged. Though the crew's reaction was pretty genuine! (Maybe the producers kept them in the dark and knew what Phil was doing all along? - The boys didn't seem too surprised...) That and I am a "friend" of Phil on MySpace, and he is constantly updating his status as being in this place for promotion, or that place for autograph signing etc. So to think that he is going to go completely broke if he doesn't ever fish anymore?? Not sure I buy that completely! But the fishing, the ice breaking, the working and worrying - that is real and it is drama. And yes, I am hooked!

UTROY

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 09:18PM (MST)[p]Nickman

There is no script, there is no storyline. They mount cameras on the boats and record what happens on a crab boat on the Bering sea in Oct to Mar. I don't know how much more real it can be. Yes they edit and compile footage but they don't tell them how to fish so the story line is better. The arial shots are done from helicopters owned by Egli Air out of King Salmon AK. I have known Sam Egli for years, he is actually from Utah originally.

If that show isn't real then I don't know what you would consider "REAL"

And yes we all fish for money, but its not always what keeps us going back, some years I didn't even make expenses, but I went back the next year anyway.
Every year when my bro-in-law goes back, I get a little jealous, wishing I was still fishing. It gets in the blood, nothing like the smell of the ocean, the wind in your face, heading out of the river looking for jumpers, hoping to fill the boat, you could say I miss it.

i love the show. and roy i dont think capt phil will go broke unless the boat doesnt catch crabs. he is half or almost half owner

I LIKE CAPTAIN SIG!!!

I'LL BET HE'S AS SAFE AS ANY OF THEM???

LOOKS LIKE HE KEEPS HIS BOAT UP TO!!!

AFTER 3,000 RE-RUNS I'M GLAD SOME NEW STUFF IS SHOWING UP!!!

I WAS STARTING TO FEEL/ACT LIKE stinky DOES OVER THE BUZZARD HUNTS ON THE HUNTIN CHANELLS!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

I like the show and watch it on occasion. Don't like the ophelia crabbing as much as the king crabbing. I can tell you that FRESH King Crab is the tastiest shellfish on the planet. Snow Crab is crap and I don't eat that schitt. Dungy on occasion. Yes, I'm a spoiled Alaskan sourdough.

There was one cool ophelia crab espiode where the bering was freezing over. One guy had his pots set a bit to the north and got stuck in the pack ice pretty good. Barely made it to some remote port way north of the Chain.

My son is deckhanding on a gillnetter here in southeast. His captain has worked in the Bering. I kid you not - it is a dangerous place. I'm cool with him fishing the inside water during the summer when it's pretty calm.

His high school buddy nearly died last year. They were out in Cross Sound for the first halibut run of the year. Something like March. They were picked up the last skate when the tide switched and the water went to hell. They were taking wave over the stern. The cap'n hit the trottle and made it to withing 300 yds of shore. The boat hit a reef and sunk. They had to put on the survival suits and swim to shore. Everyone lived, but it was a little wakeup/reminder.

I'm hoping they open up Red King Crab this summer. It's been shut down for two years due to overfishing.

Just so you guys don't send a case of crabs to my house, I agree that THIS SHOW IS THE BEST THING ON TV.

I have ALL the tapes and a DUTCH HARBOR t-shirt. I would buy more.

All I am saying is I don't see all the halos glistening in the sun, like you guys do.

>
>And KKK I really don't care
>what shows you watch, I'm
>just saying I didn't like
>the sinking ship comment.
>
Get over it! How can you know what I was inferring anyway? I wasn't inferring any "I don't care" or "Oh well" attitude. It IS part of what happens on that show though...they sit around and smoke, catch crab, a ship might sink, they complain, smoke...etc. Don't read too much into it, it was just a lil' joke anyway.

You're a baby.

Muskegman

Opilio crab are what you get at the buffets in Vegas, they're okay, Snow crab are really Tanner crab and they have really skinny legs (not much meat). Dungeness crab are pretty good but they are found south of the Bering Sea. You're right King crab are the best tasting and biggest of the bunch. One time when I was in Seattle we bought a live one and had the restaurant cook it for us, it was really good.
Both of my sons worked as crewmen on my boat at different times. I never had to get out the survival suits in an emergency in all the years I fished. I did know of some guys getting killed up there but no one really close to me, thank God. I never was in a situation where I thought my life was in danger but I was uncomfortable a time or two.
Here's my youngest son standing on the fishbin.

49e6affc0903403a.jpg

>Get over it! How can you
>know what I was inferring
>anyway? I wasn't inferring any
>"I don't care" or "Oh
>well" attitude. It IS
>part of what happens on
>that show though...they sit around
>and smoke, catch crab, a
>ship might sink, they complain,
>smoke...etc. Don't read too
>much into it, it was
>just a lil' joke anyway.
>
>
>You're a baby.

There is a little thing called a remote control, don't like it flip the channel.

And you're a grown up?

About 20 years ago I checked a book out at the library about Kodiak, AK. One of the chapters was about a boat that was king crab fishing. There were 4 men and one girl on the boat. The girl was from Oregon and this was her first trip.

They left Kodiak and got into a big storm. The boat was taking on water and it got bad enough that they lost power. It was at night and all the light they had was a flashlight. They decided to abandon ship. They did manage to get a message out before they lost power. They only had four survival suits. The four guys put them on, and all the girl had was a life jacket.

They inflated their survival raft and a gust of wind caught it and blew it away into the darkness. Gone! The boat was settling down further and they decided it was time to go. One guy tried to hold onto the girl, but she quickly perished.

By a sheer miracle, the four guys washed up on shore of a tiny island. They found some kind of structure to get out of the storm and survived, even though they were beat up on the rocks.

The next afternoon the coast guard helicoptor spotted them and managed to lift them off. As they were heading to Kodiak they looked down and low and behold there was their boat, still afloat!

That's a story I'll never forget.

Eel

49d778ac3681054a.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-09 AT 11:42PM (MST)[p]>
>
>There is a little thing called
>a remote control, don't like
>it flip the channel.
>
>
>And you're a grown up?

OMG...clue in, dude! You're not listening. You're worse than my 3 year old. I HATE to have to explain crap like this to folks who don't deserve an explanation, but you're really irritating me so here goes....I really LIKE the damn show, ok? My first post to Roy was a JOKE and I never had an "I don't care if they die" attitude like you claim.

Thought I better edit the rest. ;-) lol

I agree with Bobcat. I like Captain Sid and the Northwestern.

I used to be addicted to the show, but not so much anymore. Its flat interesting, but there are only so many shows you can do before it starts feeling the same. I wish they would do some episodes of Salmon netters, halibut long-liners, etc. I have seen some shows of those Salmon netters ramming one anothers boats--that would be pretty entertaining.

They should air a reality show of 'deadliest catch' starring rackmaster. It could be about his afterwork ventures and avoidance of terminal STDs.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

I must say that I'm a fan of the show. Just wondering if any of you watched the following show, Into the Wild, i think its called. It's like ten regular people with minimal survival skills in alaska for a month. It would be better without the safety crew, but I found some of the stupid hunting techniques funny...Some of these people are truely helpless in the wild.

>I must say that I'm a
>fan of the show. Just
>wondering if any of you
>watched the following show, Into
>the Wild, i think its
>called.

As a matter of fact - we did!!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/9938.html

And your close, it's called "Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment" - Here is the link to it - some cool stuff.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/out-of-the-wild/out-of-the-wild.html

It's like ten regular
>people with minimal survival skills
>in alaska for a month.
>It would be better without
>the safety crew, but I
>found some of the stupid
>hunting techniques funny...Some of these
>people are truely helpless in
>the wild.

Yeah - there are some complete outdoor novices for sure! Some are even idiots!

UTROY

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Crabbing doesn't look like it'd be all that dangerous to me. Just wait until they cross the road.

49e76b0b113dc981.jpg

I don't get it...Crabs are easy to catch..Their just hard to get rid of...

I recommend shaving one side then lighting the other side on fire then stab them with an ice pick when the run to the other side...

OR you can spray your balls with RAID like a friend of mine did....Yeah that didn't work out so good!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Eel

I read the same story it was reported in The Fishermans News. If I remember right the girl had a survival suit on but the skipper did not and he didn't last vert long. I think the girl made it till daylight with one of the survivers and she died then. I also thought only 2 crewmen lived and scrambled ashore on the rocks of Afognak Island. The reason they went into the water was because the engineer told them that when the sea water touched the posts on the batteries they would explode, which is nonsense. They also worried that the whirlpool created by the sinking boat would pull them under, also nonsense. The Coast Guard wound up towing the boat into Kodiac, it didn't sink. They would be alive today if they had just stayed on the boat. NEVER and I mean NEVER leave the boat unless it is underwater and sinking.
It may be a different story altogether Eel I'm not sure.

Its also been a long time since I read it, so I may be wrong on the facts, but thats how I remember them.

How about the "A" boats. Two crabbers that their names started with A. Both boats left Dutch harbor, loaded with pots heading for the crab grounds. Nice weather 6 foot seas, both of them were found upside down not far from Dutch, both rolled over within about 30 minutes of each other, too fast to get off a mayday. 13 people lost, if I remember correctly.
Crabbers need to flood their holding tanks to offset the weight of all the pots stacked on deck or they will roll over. Problem is it slows them down. The boats had 4 tanks 2 amidship and 2 aft. The owners thought that if they filled one forward on one side and one on the opposite side aft, that they would have enough ballast. Didn't work, tests afterwards showed it made the boats very unstable and thats why they rolled.

Many good people have lost their lives on the Bering Sea and thats why I like to watch Deadliest Catch, Its about as "REAL" as it gets. My hat is off to the skippers and crew that rise to the challenge and git-r-done in such an inhospitable environment.

Am I being a little too dramatic?
Its a little close to the heart I guess.

+1 BuckSnort Raid, Starting Fluid, Brake Kleen and a match works well if you can stand the smell to get RID. of the pesty little critters...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom