Death becomes her...Pics and questions

SneakAttack

Very Active Member
I will be hunting Willard Peak for a big fat nasty Nanny this September. Me and some of the AntlerFest crew went out and glassed up a few critters this past Saturday. Wow! Is all I can say about the country these animals call home. Goats are, to describe them plainly, amazing animals. It's unbelievable they way they can glide over the most broken, and life threatening terrain in west. It is proving to be truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me. Our good buddies Larry, Garret and Stefan helped me find what I was looking for. Thanks guys! Here are a few shot's that Larry sent me from the trip, thanks man.

Before the photos, I'm looking for some guidance. I've read a couple of stories that are making me re-think my decision to hunt with archery equipment. I had never planned on solely hunting with my bow. If I'm not able to stalk my clumsy self to within my comfort zone, I want to be able to put the smack down with my rifle. I'll will be toting my tried and true 30-06. Now to the meat of my concern. I have had, and I'm sure I will continue to have, phenomenal success with the bullet bullet I currently shoot for deer and antelope. Which is the Remington Bronze point. This bullet in factory loads and my rifle is a winning combination. The best way I can describe the results are as if Paul Bunyan himself pole axed the unsuspecting buck... That exact result scares me a little when speaking in Goat terms. The thought of a goat folding up like a camp chair at 9500' on a 70 degree side hill makes think I'll be picking it up down in Brigham City. So, what do the expects say. What bullet would yield the desired results. What are the desired results? A goat shot in it's bed, already laying down; using highly expanding bullet, causing the animal to potentially run off and die, a complete energy diffusing bullet such my current load? I'm scared to death of the thing rolling 1000' feet down the mountain. Help me please. I am looking for serious results on Goat's

Now here are Larry's photo's.

46a520fa56eccc63.jpg

46a5211957376f24.jpg

46a52132576d302d.jpg

46a5219c58860c00.jpg

Mean looking stuff huh!

Thanks for looking

Looks like goat country to me! Is this a special tag that only lets you shoot nannies, I havent heard anybody say that they wanna shoot a nanny instead of a billy.

Elk... ya hooked up with someone to go with?

Nice photo's.. but that is only the first little basin-- Willard Peak.

From the end of the Quad trail you guys are parked at, right below you-westerly- is some good country that you may be able to fill your tag, as many blow right past that area heading more south.

How exciting for you guys!

YES the game wardens do indeed inspect the boned out meat after the harvest. I watched a warden come back in day 2 with a successful shooter from day 1 and give him a ticket for not taking enough meat out.... it is all straight 'up' after the harvest...sheading edible meat--to lighten the load-- isn't a good plan!

Robb

Sneakattack,

That looks like you will have an excellent time chasing those goats, in some amazing country! I am jealous! I don't know which bullet would work best, but I would look at bullet placement as a bigger factor. Knowing the country and situation, you may want to place the bullet behind the shoulder, allowing to bleed out and possibly lay down/die. If she is in her bed, you may want to break her down hard hitting the highshoulder shot not allowing her to get out of bed. Either way I want to see it on video when you get 'er done.

I say leave the bow home and get it done!!! Don't mess around with your once in a lifetime chance. Even with a rifle it will be a great experience!

CS

www.VIPoptics.com

"When You Deserve The Very Best"

I grew up in Brigham City and spent my whole life watching those goats. You will be able to get within bow range if that is your desire. A lot of times I have been able to walk up to within 50 yards before they even bat an eye that I am there. In the last picture if you go another mile south toward Ogden, the next basin always holds more goats but they tend to be more spread out throughout the basin. There is also a very small spring right off the trail directly below the peak that they frequent. The area is always plastered with goat tracks. Let me know if you need any more help but it should be a fairly easy hunt especially with a rifle.

Thanks for the input.

There are two seasons in this unit for Nanny only, along with a Billy hunt also. I'll tell you what, I've yet to see a whole lot of difference in the two. My inexperience with goats is showing. I do know this, I have a solid chance at putting more than one OIL hunts under my belt. Goat- check.... Now on to Moose!

Robb sorry I haven't gotten back to you, rude huh!

I'm not overly freaked about the weight in packing. There are a few good men that have been promised a steak dinner if they help save me from myself. I'm just worried there won't be anything left after it tumbles down the cliffs.

Marley, good to know they are stalk-able. I just hope I can find one in the sage and broken pines to creep in on. Not positive, but I doubt I can crawl through the shale and open ground with out getting busted.

Chris, I think you're right my man! One thing's for sure the tape will be rollin'. Rednecks with cameras and guns- that's a sure fire recipe for a good time right there!

Thanks guys. Anyone else have some experiences with the rock hoppers?

No problem--- it has been so dang busy for most of us this summer anyways!

I'll try and drop something of value -intel wise- off over @ YELUM's 'abode' this wknd for ya...

Robb

Sneak, I can tell where the pictures were taken now. I got back from there late last night. All I can say is awesome country! I got some decent photo's. I will email you when I get a chance.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom