Dec 7 1941

T

TAGATTRACTER

I mostly come to the Campfire for entertainment but thought this should be posted as it surely is a day to remember. God bless our troops.

7647g19930.jpg

4761g19939.jpg

5154origin12.jpg

When it was over, the U.S.losses were:

Casualties

USA : 218 KIA, 364 WIA.

USN: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA.

USMC: 109 KIA, 69 WIA.

Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA.

TOTAL: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA.

Battleships

USS Arizona (BB-39) - total loss when a bomb hit her magazine.

USS Oklahoma (BB-37) - Total loss when she capsized and sunk in

The harbor.

USS California (BB-44) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and

Repaired.

USS West Virginia (BB-48 ) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and

Repaired.

USS Nevada - (BB-36) Beached to prevent sinking. Later repaired.

USS Pennsylvania (BB-38 ) - Light damage.

USS Maryland (BB-46) - Light damage.

USS Tennessee (BB-43) Light damage.

USS Utah (AG-16) - (former battleship used as a target) - Sunk.

Cruisers

USS New Orleans (CA-32) - Light Damage..

USS San Francisco (CA-38 ) - Light Damage.

USS Detroit (CL-8 ) - Light Damage.

USS Raleigh (CL-7) - Heavily damaged but repaired.

USS Helena (CL-50) - Light Damage.

USS Honolulu (CL-48 ) - Light Damage..

Destroyers

USS Downes (DD-375) - Destroyed. Parts salvaged.

USS Cassin - (DD-372) Destroyed. Parts salvaged.

USS Shaw (DD-373) - Very heavy damage.

USS Helm (DD-388 ) - Light Damage.

Minelayer

USS Ogala (CM-4) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.

Seaplane Tender

USS Curtiss (AV-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.

Repair Ship

USS Vestal (AR-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.

Harbor Tug

USS Sotoyomo (YT-9) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.

Aircraft

188 Aircraft destroyed (92 USN and 92 U.S Army Air Corps.)

Thanks for posting! Seems like every year less and less attention is devoted to this history changing event! I wish I was but a sliver of the men that served our country during WWII.
My grandpa served on the battle ship Mississippi and was in Tokyo bay when the unconditional surrender was signed! He is my hero! sure do miss him!

Powerful and sobering images. The sacrifices made on that fateful day in defense of the nation should never be forgotten. Their heroism will always be remembered by a grateful nation. God Bless their memory.

Eldorado

I will be passing through Honolulu next February and we have decided to overnight there and take in Pearl Harbor. I read several books about that day as a kid and am looking forward to seeing the place in person.

Only seven men were left healthy enough to attend the Pearl Harbor Survivors meeting today. It is also the last year for the organization as they are soon to be all gone. The Memorial still brings a lump to my throat the one time I went to it. A day of infamy but also a day of pride IMO.

Yep - great post. I posted this on my facebook page too, but it bears repeating.

?70 years ago today, my grandpa Ted woke up, after partying all night, wrapped up in a roll of carpet in a motel in Duchesne, UT. His friend told him the news and they immediately left for Salt Lake to enlist. After being rejected by the same doctor for both the Navy and the Marines for a heart murmur, he was finally taken by the U.S. Army as a medic. He served in the Pacific theater and was almost lost at sea when his ship was sunk by a kamikaze pilot in the Leite Gulf in the Philipines. Yes indeed, "a day that will live in infamy."

The friend that was with him that day did enlist and never made it home. His body is still buried in France.

My other grandpa enlisted a little later. He trained as a paratrooper and received orders to be part of the D-Day invasion. His orders however, were mixed up and he didn't receive them until the day after D-Day (D-Day +1). Subsequently he was assigned to France as an MP where he served out the bulk of the war, mainly in Normandy. Because he was also trained as an MP and was his primary duty, is the reason his orders were mis-delivered. Probably saved his life.

I had a great uncle who served under Patton and was part of his march across North Africa and Italy. He went through some rough stuff and was never the same after the war. He probably would have been diagnosed with PTSD today. He became an alcoholic, never married, and lived his life as a sheepherder and a cowboy, preferring the solace and loneliness of the mountains to company. His horses were his only friends.

Never forget - never forget.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Great post!! I may overlook other historic days but I graduated Navy bootcamp exactly 10 years ago today so it means a lot to me...

~Z~

Good stuff Roy. Glad you have the history down.
Make sure it gets passed to your kids.

I've posted this before but I had an uncle who was in the Army in the Pacific during WWII. He was in a tank battalion that was part of the island hopping campaign. He made it through many battles but was severely wounded on Okinawa. The tank he was in was hit and those that could had to get out before it burned. He was hit with 11 rounds of Japanese light machine gun fire. Yes, I said 11! The entire left side of his body was riddled. Another tank rescued him by driving over him and pulling him up through the floor hatch. He was the only survivor from his tank. He spent months and months in hospitals from Guam to California to Utah. His left leg was eventually amputated at the hip and his left arm was fused solid at the elbow. He was my godfather. He lived until his late 50s and died of cancer when I was 16. He almost never talked about his injuries or the war but before he died we asked him to record some of his famous stories of growing up. He also included a rather thorough accounting of his time in the service. It was gripping and extremely emotional to say the least. HE is MY hero. I have the flag that draped his casket and his purple heart and other medals proudly displayed in my office.

Incidentally had he not been wounded on Okinawa he would have then gone to Iwo Jima where 8000 plus Americans were killed on that rather tiny chunk of volcanic rock.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-11 AT 11:33AM (MST)[p]Yea, that is sad to read about. 31 DEC will be their last day.

Pear Harbor Survivors Association will be no more. Long read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/us/fewer-veterans-to-remember-pearl-harbor-day.html?src=twr

HONOLULU ? For more than half a century, members of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association gathered here every Dec. 7 to commemorate the attack by the Japanese that drew the United States into World War II. Others stayed closer to home for more intimate regional chapter ceremonies, sharing memories of a day they still remember in searing detail.

But no more. The 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack will be the last one marked by the survivors? association. With a concession to the reality of time ? of age, of deteriorating health and death ? the association will disband on Dec. 31.

>Only seven men were left healthy
>enough to attend the Pearl
>Harbor Survivors meeting today.
>It is also the last
>year for the organization as
>they are soon to be
>all gone. The Memorial
>still brings a lump to
>my throat the one time
>I went to it.
>A day of infamy but
>also a day of pride
>IMO.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I visited Pearl Harbor a few years back.
The experience of being over the Arizona was one that words can't describe.

~Z~ :) Your a good man.

Great post.
Last night I asked my 2 older daughters (12 and 8 years old), Do you know what tomorrow is? There reply was "what"? I gave them some clues and yet nothing. So I told them, and their reply was what is the big deal and what was that all about????
UNBELIEVABLE! They have no clue about WWII, no idea what an atomic bomb is, what role Germany or Japan had, nothing. Granted they are still young but their schools don't do crap about even acknowledgeing December 7th.

What a shame, yes part of it is my fault for not asking and talking to them myself, I was just dumbfounded on how their schools don't give a crap.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

My grandpa served in the Pacific and was in the Army. He was assigned to island hop and gather intelligence. Then report back, and then send in the Marines to take the Island. On one patrol he lost all the men in his platoon, except for on other guy, who he carried out on his back. Was shot a couple of times, and I have the helmet that still has a bullet stuck on the right side of it. He was AND IS STILL ME HERO!!!!

BUGLEMN

I also have a grandfather who served during WWII. He received a purple heart after being wounded somewhere over Europe. He flew over 30 missions as a ball turret gunner in a B-17. He is still around and recently was invited to attend a ceremony where his name, along with many other purple heart recipients, was unveiled in a marble monument at the Ogden Veterans Center. Hats off to this amazing generation!

Yes thanks for the post, My father in law was there on the USS Shaw which was in one of the pictures. I remember going to Pearl harbor with him on 7th of December and talking with the members of the association. He wanted to make to the 70th anniversary but he didn't quite make it. He passed away a couple years ago. Those guys were a great generation, something to look up to. We have the shrapnel that was pulled out of him after Pearl Harbor and the memorabilia that he brought home from there and the other parts of the south pacific that he served through the war. Thanks to all those that remember this day.

IMO your attempt at humor lacks a great deal on what really is a solemn occasion. But to each his own opinion.

I spent 2 years in Pearl while I was in the Navy. It's a humbling experience thinking about what real men and heroes endured during those times. I'm constantly embarrassed being called a veteran when I couldn't hold the jock strap of the real men and women who served before me. My grandpa's injuries from Iwo Jima gave him hell throughout his life, yet he never complained. God Bless all of our men and women in uniform.

Horn Star, you are a dumb azz.

ive been to pearl twice and its something ill never forget. both times i was there after watching the short movie they show there i wanted to kick a japs ass

My dad served in the Navy in World War II. He was in Naval Aviation, in a PBY squadron. He was hunting ducks on a reservoir near San Diego when someone with a loud speaker came around on Dec 7, 1941 and told all military personel to report to base. He was sent to Arcada Ca, to a Naval Air station for a while and then to the Aleutian Islands to repell the Japanese invasion of Alaska. He was on a ship when it was torpedoed by a Japanese sub near Dutch Harbor, AK. I have one of his uniforms and some medals that he recieved and his Honorary Discharge papers. I'm very proud of the service my dad did for our country, he was my hero and the person who taught me to hunt and fish. He's been gone over 9 years now and not a day goes by that I don't miss him, he was truly a member of "The Greatest Generation."

Dad & several uncles served in WWII. God bless them. Let's not forget those that sacrifice as we speak. I have a son-in-law that did 3 tours in Iraq. There are still heros among us.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Great post. My grandfather was a pilot in the Pacific during WW2. He had some great stories.

I have also read that Pearl Harbor was a disaster because the ships were lined up in a row. A defensive blunder. Anyone know if that is true?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-11 AT 03:56PM (MST)[p]They were berthed side by side on Battleship row at Ford Island,
a major mistake. If I recall the Navy had done a study about just that problem and were going to change how the ships at Pearl were berthed but hadn't done anything about it before the attack.

3574h50931.jpg

you want to do something for these men quit buying anything made in japan.......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom