Decisions, decisions

spotnstalkID

So I have an elk hunt planned with a friend and we were leaving this afternoon. Been planning this hunt for the last several weeks. Got a cabin lined up to stay in where we hunt from, etc. Two days ago my buddy calls me and has to cancel, so I plan on just following through with the plans and unfortunately going by myself.

Last night another buddy calls me from Washington and says, "come up here, buy a non-res elk tag and hunt with me on a spike only elk hunt this weekend".

Now the decision. I'm leaving late this afternoon for ....somewhere. If you guys were in my shoes where do you go. If I stay in Idaho, I already have my tag for 'any bull', the snow is piling up where I'll be hunting, cabin is lined up (wood stove, shower, direct TV, etc.) and I'll get 4-5 full days of hunting in, but it'll be all by myself. If I go to Washington, snow is piling up, I get to hunt with a buddy, 'spike only', sleep either in a small tent or in my truck, etc. and if I go to Washington, I'll only have 2-3 days of hunting.

Just sitting here pondering my decision, almost wishing I didn't have it to make cause now that I am about 6 hours from leaving, I don't know where I'm going. What would you do??

Man, what a problem! Wish I had it!!
I'd stick with what you got lined up and enjoy!!
I enjoy getting out by myself once in a while, but 4 or 5 days may be too much...
Look at the positive side of it, at least your our HUNTING!!
Good luck on your decision..

I would stick with my plan in Idaho if you are comfortable hunting by yourself. From my window here in Pocatello it looks like elk hunting weather! The cabin is just a bonus.

No brainer to me. Stay in Idaho. You have a chance to shoot something bigger. You already have a tag that is paid for, you'ld have to buy a non-res tag in Wa. A nice place to stay, versus tent or truck. The price of gas is outragous, so you'ld save money all the way around.

Now go out and shoot a big Idaho bull. Good luck and be safe.

IB

I'd stay in Id. too. Sounds like you are set up. Next time your buddy won't let you down hopefully. Enjoy!

Camuleycrazy, I think your caelkcrazy... I'm from Washington and know a lot of people who buy out of state ID tags so they can kill something besides a measly spike that 8 guys on horses have already taken a shot at. Hunt on your own and enjoy it. Cabin/shower/direct tv/ vs. spikeonly/tentortruck/wet/can't dry out....no brainer. Tell your budy from WA to buy an out-of-state and join you in ID.

Coming from a Wa state res...I would stay in Idaho...Wa in my opinion isnt worth out of state prices on the chance at finding a spike...enjoy the cabin...enjoy the branch antler opportunity...save your out of state tag fee...

I hear y'all. chances are that is what I'll end up doing, staying in Idaho. Honestly, it would be a shorter drive to go to the place in Washington than it is to get to the place in Idaho I'm hunting. I don't mind hunting by myself (matter of fact it seems like I end up more successful on the hunts I do alone than when I go with somebody else anyways) but I usually like to hunt with somebody else if it is an option. You know how it is. Plus the wife hates it when I go alone, expecially six hours away from home.

I'm lookin' forward to it either way! Should be a good time!

Jaxon

Ditto! I'm from WA also and you are better off in ID in a cabin with more opportunity at bigger animals. Talk your WA buddy into the out of state ID tag. He'll thank you for it.

Mike

I live in Washington and would also pick Idaho. Non res elk tags are $$$ for a spike. Your friend would have a better hunt if he went with you. Sleeping in a truck in the winter Sucks.

I hear ya on him coming over here. He actually has an ID deer tag that he was already here once for and didn't fill it. Problem is is that he has to drive 10-12 hours to get here in ID from his house, and he can't leave till Friday later afternoon. He would get here (if he drove straight through) Saturday morning, hunt Sat./Sun morning and have to turn right around and be back home on Monday morning for work. Not really much time for a hunt. he'd be driving more time than he'd be able to hunt. And the area I'm hunting is a limited quota for non-residents for elk, and they are sold out.

I totally understand him not wanting to drive all that way for that little time to hunt. If I were him, and the snow they are supposed to get for his spike hunt over tehre, I'd probably be doing that one too.

Jaxon

I'm a WA guy too....not a chance in hell I'd come over here to hunt spikes. Sounds like you got the set up. The only thing you'll be missin' is the comradory with you huntin' partner(s)....but it's nice to do a little huntin' on your own once in awhile. Stay in ID and have fun....let us all know how/what you did.

Yep, another Washington hunter voting for Idaho! Spike vs a chance at a bigger bull? Take the chance at a real bull. There are a ton of spikes over here, but the out of state tag ($394.20) for just a spike isnt worth it, to me at least.
yotewalk.gif

Eric

nmtaxi,

I hear that! Unfortunately she doesn't. The 19 month old daughter kinda plays a role in that decision though. Oh well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom