Decoying in August??

Timberdoodle

I drew an archery antelope tag in northern NV this year. The season runs from Aug 1-20. Is it worthwhile to bring a decoy, or should i rely mostly on spot & stalk and/or sitting a waterhole? Any information would be appreciated.

I tried it last year during my August archery hunt in New Mexico and did not have any success convincing the bucks to come in. I think it is a bit early. It's still probably worth trying though. Antelope with archery equipment is challenging and you will want to keep all your options open.

There are usually lots of cattle in and around the water holes in northern Nevada. I have heard of people sneaking up on the lopes with a cow decoy before. From my expierence the antelope decoy didn't work at all. I had some very mild success with flaging, but thats about it.

I was in 33 NV last year during the rifle season and the antelope weren't rutting. I think a decoy would be a waste of time. If you have a 33 tag you may want to hide behind a wild horse decoy and try to stalk in for a kill! I would definitely find a good waterhole. It was in the 90's each day of the rifle season and I just about fried. I saw several bucks come in to water with their tongues hanging out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom