Decoying speed goats

T

Thunderhead2

We are going to try some decoying this year. Can anybody tell me about the set up. How does the goat come in? On an angle, straight in. Whats the average shot distance? I would assume it is best to ease the decoy up out of a low spot. How close to do you try to get?

Any advise welcome.

Have bow will travel

We've had success while making sure doe's are between us and the buck we're after. As to the angle and how close I think that depends on how strong the rut is going and weather or not there are does in heat. We've had one small buck almost run over us one year, even after standing up and dropping the decoy the buck stayed for quite some time. It all depends on the rut.

Wish I had a decoy last year during archery season...they would coming running to you until they realized you weren't another goat. Carry a white rag with you as well, that seemed to bring them in to at least 70 yards. I was out this weekend looking for deer and the goats I found were already chasing the females. I would suggest that you have a buddy help you out so you're not trying to range him while he's trying to decide whether or not he should run. Good luck!

>what kind of decoys are you
>guys using?

I bought the full size carrylight decoy.
we are planning on one guy running the decoy and the other guy shooting. I was just wondering if the shooter should be off to one side or behind the decoy.

Have bow will travel

If you hit the rut right you will have more action then you can ever imagine.The thing with decoying antelope is they come in fast and they leave fast when they see you drawing so its not so much going to be the distance of the shot but more drawing and getting your shot off.

I have never used the decoy that you are using(i use a mel dutton)but will give you a few pointers to start with.If your decoy is made out of any plastic take some dirt and scratch it up a bit so if the sun hits it it wont shine.Also my decoy is really small and i have a hard time hiding behind it(i am 6'2) so what i would do is buy some camo skirting and glue it onto the bottom of the decoy.This way you can hold the decoy higher for more coverage and your legs wont be in view.

Also if you have a peep hole on the decoy....USE IT..antelope will bust you everytime if you are peeking over the top.

As for using the decoy if you don't get inside the bucks bedroom 9 times out of 10 he will pack the does up and leave because he will not feel threatend enough.The best way to get those bucks into the decoy is to sneak in as close as you can without being seen(i try to get within 200 yards)and pop your decoy.Most of the time if you are close enough to the herd, as soon as that buck sees that decoy so close he will come on a run.

It is good to have someone running the decoy and rangefinder so whoever is running the bow should be slightly behind and off to the side of the decoy man.This will make sure you have room to move your bow around and draw.Lots of times when they come within range you will have enough time to draw but i would try to draw behind the decoy when he is 60-70 yards out and then as soon as your buddy ranges him,you can sit up on your knees and let him have it.My decoy came with a call which i found to work great to alert the buck to your decoy or stop him if he leaving or holding up just out of range.

You will know if you have not hit the rut at the right time because no matter what you do those big bucks will pack up there does and leave.If this happens often times the bucks will be on the move looking for does so then spot and stalk and trying to cut travelling bucks off works well.

I know in alberta we can do about 10 setups in a day and if you are doing it right and the rut is hot,you can get 4 or 5 bucks within bow range every day.

Good Luck and i look forward to your pics.

when me and my buddy do this. we have one guy running the decoy with the range finder... the guy running the decoy tells the person (straight behind him until the antelope is charging) exactly were the antelope is and range. if you are wanting to see the antelope. look underneath the decoy not over it. weve had our whole bodies underneath the decoy were they could see us and they wouldnt run. yet when u peaked just a bit over top they take off. we use a primos challenge call... dont know if it works but if they take off it always stops the buck. with the sneaking in thing. we try and let the antelope know were coming. we've tried the sneak thing and i think with the decoy all the sudden there scares them... we've had antelope spot us well over 500 yards and we eased our way into them within 100 yards and had the buck charge. you can never really tell if its going to work or not... some bucks will run and some will come at you even if you dont mess up... its really a hit or miss thing.

My next door neighbor killed a great antelope last year with his bow! It was the first time he ever hunted antelope with a bow to boot. He also used a decoy , would just drive around and once bucks were spotted , get out and hide as much as possible behind the decoy and walk straight at em .He had a few chances but missed shots that were a bit too far and then finally the buck he shot came in. The buck came right at him and after he lazered the buck at some 65 yards which was the closest of the hunt , he tried to stake the decoy in the ground, on hard dirt. Well as he was trying to drive it in the ground , everybody figured the buck would see him and spook , but just the oppisite happened , the buck got a bit excited and trotted in closer. He ended up shooting him at 53 yards and at first the arrow looked low and a clean miss , but he actually hit the buck just right and the arrow blew right through him. The buck turned and ran some 40 or so yards and humped up and bedded down. Just left him as he was in plain view and a few minutes passed and he was a done deal.

Now the archery hunt is one of my 3 choices for the speedsters....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom