Dedicated Hunter Program Restructure

30inchbucks

Has anybody looked at the number of dedicated hunters that harvested deer on the UWDR website. Do you honestly think that those numbers are accurate? Most of them are turning their tag back in because there is an extra draw. No one wants to tag their deer because they got to turn it back in for that draw. There are several people on that list who have killed deer in their 3 year period but it has them down as 0 deer killed. There are still too many Utah hunters out there hunting like grandpa did. Either do away with the program or do away with the draw. It's just too tempting not to tag anything for Utah hunters.

I would like to see proof as well. If your correct I guess that some people looked at this law like they did the shed hunting law in northern UT. It just did not suit their needs so they decided not to abide by it.

Drum

I am curious as well. Do you know people on there that have killed deer that it shows 0 for their harvest?

I think your jumping the gun. Check the list after April and it will be updated.

February 16 is the deadline for returning unused 2006 permits, and submitting a written request to change your region choice for the 2007 hunts. You may return your permits or submit region changes by bringing them to any Division office or mailing it to the following address: Division of Wildlife Resources, Dedicated Hunter Program, PO Box 146301, Salt Lake City, UT 84116.

During the enrollment period, we process 3,000 returned permits and 4,000 applications. It is difficult to impossible for us to check the status of individual documents. Harvests credited will show on the requirements completion record sometime in mid-March. Results of the Dedicated Hunter limited entry drawing will be posted by mid-April.

30inchbucks!!!

PLEASE STATE YOUR NAME & WHERE YOU'RE FROM PLEASE???

I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE N.E. RAC MEETING!!!

I JUST DON'T SEE A WHOLE BUNCH OF DEDICATED HUNTERS GOING THROUGH EVERYTHING JUST TO GET A CRACK AT THAT L.E. PERMIT!!!

I'M SURE THERES A FEW WORKING THE SYSTEM!!!

WHERE AIN'T THERE A FEW WORKING THE SYSTEM???

WITH ODDS AROUND 1 IN 5,000 DAMN I FEEL LUCKY!!!

I COULD DROP OUT AND TAKE 3 DEER IN 3 YEARS INSTEAD OF JUST 2!!!

ARE YOU THE SAME 30inchbucks THAT STIRRED UP 'THE DECLINE OF TROPHY MULE DEER'???

WHO THE HECK ARE YA???

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING HOW MANY DEER YOU THINK I PUT IN MY FREEZER EVERY YEAR???

In 30inchbucks defense, I'm pretty sure that 2007 will be my 3rd year of the program.
They have me down for 0 harvests which IS WRONG. My 3 year period began in 2005 and I killed a deer that year and did not return my tag. Did not kill one last year (2006), did return my tag.
I could be wrong on when my 3 year deal began, but I don't think so.

My harvest info. should show 1, but it doesn't. Maybe that's why they needed to raise tag fees, they need to hire someone to enter that data. ????

Maybe I have some secert admirer (a real hottie) within the division that...."Wants me me on that hill! Needs me on that hill! Because while others in their clean suits at fancy parties sipping champagne and having small talk, they can rest assured that I will do my best to control that deer herd. I took an oath. I use words like "hawg", "pig", and "bust'em". I have a duty to my state. I wear MAX1 camo and usually smell bad after the long walks, but at the end of the day, everyone can sleep well, not worrying about too many monster bucks eating their shrubs this winter. I'm on that hill serving my state!"

Just a guess, I could be wrong.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

There is no doubt that a few type-O's will occur when human error is concerned.

Every year at this time I think should I or shouldn't I get into the D-hunter program... I could care less about hunting mzzy-rifle in the southern or southeastern region.... I would favor NE or North region as my choice....

I don't think that having the D-hunter in the field really makes much difference as far as harvests vs general season hunters and harvests...

The harvest data has little diference than the general hunters so I am kinda doubting that it is all about a big lie to get a crack at 1 in 5500 odds.....LE tag..

Bring on an Elk Dedicated Hunter program!!!

Robb

30inchbucks..

I don't think that you are correct in assuming that those numbers are way off. I only took 2 deer in my first 5 years in the program. And most people that I hunt with take only a good buck or nothing at all. Dedicated hunters want more time in the field to find that big buck, not just go out and shoot meat, then sneak it home.

Thanks
oakbrush

Wow! I say anything on here and it seems that most just jump down my throat. If you read my post I just want what I think everyone here I hope wants, to see an improvement in our deer herds. It's long overdue. And I personally don't see it getting any better anytime soon. I don't need to come out with my name because I don't see alot of you voluntarily offering that information but I can let you in on a little about where I'm coming from. I spent alot of my early years in a small community here in Utah. My father had a ranch/business and hunting deer every year was a way of life. Everyone in town hunted deer. They even let school out for the occasion. They still do but they call it some other holiday. I started as a bird dog. Making the drives through the trees and brush for all the others. Everyone in my family had tags and my friends familys had tags. I watched as grandpa, my dad, and others shot deer not just for themselves but for everyone else that had tags. We had all these tags but I never witnessed one deer being tagged. I guess it was justification having the tags. Deer were plentiful and there were 200,000+ tags sold every year. The mountains were like a war zone. Everyone in town hunted the same way. How many did you guys get? Was what most people would say. No wardens to police and to this day none. I learned just like everyone else learned to hunt every single day of the season. Then the 90's hit and the deer took a turn for the worst and all of a sudden we were standing in line for our precious deer permits. The wildlife groups formed and would solicit us while we stood line making all these promises. Racs were formed and everyone was in an uproar of what to do. Tags were cut and a draw was put in place and we were again promised this would be only temporary until the herds rebounded. In 10+ years have the herds rebounded I ask? Not. Why? I asked myself that back in the early 90's and I decided right then and there that I would be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Hunting the way grandpa and dad did were over for atleast me. But it is not over for some in my sphere of influence. And I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. Or you just know and choose to stick your head in the sand. The old mentality is just hard to change. It has been passed down from one generation to the next, especially in the smaller communities. Then the Dedicated Hunter program came about and I was quick to join and have been involved ever since it began. I have used 2 tags in all those years and they were both on draw units. I have yet to take a deer on the general. I guess those 1X2's are not that tempting anymore. I have also watched as alot of my sphere of influence has joined too. Some are part of the solution but some are still part of the problem. It's time to stand up and be part of the solution is all I'm trying to say. Just the other day I was talking to a good friend that I really respected and he was asking me about the dedicated hunter program and I told him that he should try it. The next week I was talking to him again and he shows me this nice elk that he killed this last year with his bow. He proceeds to tell me that his friend was the one that had the tag just like it was normal to hunt and think like that. Again, the Utah mentality that has been passed down and so very hard to change. I'm sure this post will be torn apart just like some of my others (why don't you tell on them? and why don't you do this?)but all I'm trying to point out here is the truth of what is really going on. All I was trying to do in my first post was come up with a solution to all this and that is it. I shouldn't have to give proof when we all know what goes on, on a regular basis it's whether we choose to see it or not. There are many problems facing our deer herds atv abuse which is a biggie, habitat, chute planes etc. etc. Take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourselves, am I part of the solution or part of the problem. And if you're part of the latter commit this day to change it. Enough said.

typos do occur, the "list" had me down for a harvest after the 2005 season, and I did not harvest a deer that year. It took awhile to get it corrected, but it is right now.

""The next week I was talking to him again and he shows me this nice elk that he killed this last year with his bow. He proceeds to tell me that his friend was the one that had the tag.... Take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourselves, am I part of the solution or part of the problem. And if you're part of the latter commit this day to change it. Enough said.""

So have you called the local CO and turned him in for poaching? If not, "you're part of the latter commit this day to change it. Enough said."

I have been in the DH program for 12 years. I have killed and tagged 3 deer in that time period. I don't see the problems you talk about, although I am sure they exist. But how can we over come the problems if arn't willing to police ourselves?

Here we ago again. Pick apart my post and make accusations. Pin it back on me. Come on. I've turned people in and nothing ever comes of it. It takes pretty solid evidence to really nail somebody. Hearsay in most cases is not solid enough. But just maybe they'll keep their eye on them. Keep on sticking your head in the sand. It's ok. Keep thinking that all the Dedicated Hunters are truly Dedicated.

I'M ASKING YOU AGAIN 30inchbucks!!!

STATE YOUR NAME,RANK & SERIAL NUMBER PLEASE???

THERE WASN'T NO DEDICATED HUNTER PROGRAM BACK WHEN YOUR FAMILY WAS HAMMERING DEER/OTHER PEOPLES DEER,GUESS THAT WAS O.K.???

THERE AIN'T NOTHING PERFECT IN THIS WORLD & THERE WILL ALWAYS BE THIEFS WORKING EVERY ASPECT OF LIFE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat!!!

The dedicated hunter program is for people that are dedicated and predicated to killing wildlife. Heck, let's just turn everybody loose, sell an unnumberable amount of tags and have a free for all. What's the point in managing wildlife. Everybody has there theories on what's best for them, but no one has any solutions that are actually working. The main goal of the fish and game is to get more money and the sport of hunting is turning into, whoever has the most money gets the biggest trophy. You can thank a lot of network outfitters for that.

I'm sure there are some errors with the numbers, but I do think they are close. I know quite a few dedicated hunters and most of them shoot one deer within the three year period. I also know several dedicated hunters that have not shot a deer during the three year program. I've been in the program since it started and I have met a lot of great sportsmen that are very passionate about mule deer hunting and it's future. I doubt there are too many dedicated hunters who aren't tagging a deer just to get in on the drawing, but I'm sure there are a few. My uncle drew a Book Cliffs elk tag through the program and he hadn't shot a deer for three years. It's a good program although it's not perfect and it's done a lot for the DWR and wildlife.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom