Deep Creeks

D

Dirtysteve

I have a question for anybody that knows the north end of the Deep Creeks. If your willing to answer a few questions please PM me.
Thanks

I know that mtn real well. I wouldn't hunt elk on the north end. Unless you want a smaller easier bull.

I DO guide on the Goshute Indian Reservation out there on the Deeps, but i do know quite a bit about the SOUTH end, if that helps you any.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Anyone have any information on the sort of bucks to expect in that range this year? As a non-res I am planning on hunting that area. Havent been in there in a few years now. I do have some general knoweldge of the range. What could a guy expect on a guided hunt?

thx
bp

Don't go expecting too much on deer out of the Deep Creeks, they are slowly coming back, but still no age out there to speak of.
Lions are still pounding them, but have seemed to start likeing the taste of elk meat since the deer numbers are so low these past few years.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I would disagree with slam on the deer on one thing, I have hunted out there a long time and last year I saw fewer and smaller bucks than ever before, so in my opinion I don't think they are coming back. Between the over population of elk destroying the little mule deer browse that there is and the constant attack by too many cougars, unfortunately I think the deer are on the decline again. Last year, I saw more cougar tracks in the snow following the few deer that were in the area, that I am afraid of what we will find as far as deer go this year.

T

Tooele is correct.

I guess i should have mentioned that i am referring to the actual indian reservaion land, not the public.

We just had our deer hunts out there a couple weeks ago and they saw more 140-160" class bucks than in a long time.

When i'm doing elk hunts in september on the rez, someone in our group see's a lion every day........that says a lot about how many cats are out there. And they are usually stalking elk.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Slam.....do most of the deer tend to stay on the reservation? Sounds like that is primarily where you guide. A buddy of mine has a west desert antelope tag so I plan to help him out then scout for my deer. Any general areas I should start my search or areas I should avoid? I have spent some time around Granite Creek but not much time in the northern part of the range. Any help is greatly appriciated. Curious as to the a day rate for guiding.....if you offer that at all.

bp

Sounds like we need to open it up out there for more cougar killing to me!
I know this might get some of you on here a little excited but I do feel that there are some areas in this State that need to be thinned out.
What's ur thoughts slam?

slam is thinning them out one cat at a time! Ive heard he runs them down on foot then bites there neck just like they do to there prey! and if that does not work he will bite down on there nose crushing the airway causing a slow suffication!

LMAO onedryboot!!
I killed one cat out of the 4 i saw in two weeks in the reservation part of the deeps this year.
I also learned that my little .204 aint enough gun for a wounded kitty. Thank God she only had 3 good legs and i could still out run her once she decided she was going to at least take a bite out of me before she went off to the happy hunting grounds!!
When you are seeing 4 cats in two weeks, there's a problem!!!
The cats have all but wiped out the deer and bighorn herds out there and are working on the elk now.
I'm not sure how many tags the state allows on the public land, but i had three tags for the reservation and they know there is a problem. I also got asked by the tribal law officers "if i had seen their wolves".

That's a horrifying thought in its self!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

The only places I have been out there were on the north end while I was looking for elk sheds. I was extremely dissapointed to see so many user created ATV trails in the area. There are tremendous basins that were roadless recently but are no longer...go wheelers! I am not talking about the annoying trails created by shed hunters that weave throughout the PJ flats (yes these were there too as expected), I mean trails 1-4 miles long that punch up ridgelines and canyons far higher than they used to. Most of the trails had no motor vehicles signs in the middle of them that were obviously being ignored very frequently. These new access routes can't be helping the quality of deer out there at all. I also confirm that I saw far fewer deer in the area than I would have expected.

-RPinenut

I actually saw a small ram this year out there. he was coming off of Haystack towards Rockies. I couldn't believe my eyes.

If I ran the Indian tribe I would put some serious thought into destroying the cats and teaming up with the state on doing it. After the big horn population was going well you would fetch top dollar for those bighorn tags.

Hornyman-
Excellent thought, but unfortunately the tribe doesn't think like that.

There ARE a couple collared sheep still out there, and the state has this year slated to transplant more sheep on the Deeps from the Antelope Island herd.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

No Collar on this Ram. At first I thought it was a goofy, super stocky deer. After looking through my binos I was really suprised. He was flying solo and super super skittish.

what region are the deep creeks located in i have heard that it is a descent spot to blast some coyotes any info would be appreciated

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom