Deer 5-points?

hunting1

I was just looking and see I have 5-points for deer and was wondering what unit would be suggested for deer rifle? I am talking any legal deer. I lived there for 9-years, but moved in 02, so would have to research like new again. My favorite area was 23, but it was building up in that area when I left. Thanks for any advice and will gladly help with what I know of NM and CO units.

Any preference for coues or mule deer?
Did you buy an AZ lifetime license before you moved so you would be considered a resident in the draw?

WetlandsWinterSignature.jpg

Evening redrabbit! No I did not buy the liscense, so I am a non-resident. I am looking at mule deer. I am researching some units from Eastmans articles and such, but like to see what opinions are available. The last few years in 23 I saw mostly couse, but man in the 90's I saw some bruiser muley's. Thanks for your time!

You can look here and see where 5 points might get you a tag. If you just enter just deer, NT and 5 points, all the deer hunts will show up. That way you do not have to enter the unit and weapon choice and do hunts one by one.
http://huntodds.monstermuleys.com/

you can rule out a 12A or 13 tag with 5 points
You might consider a desert mule deer hut. Give madglasser a shout.

Look at the hunt success % here to see what units are better for hunt success.
http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/HuntAZ2009.pdf

Thanks! I looked up the odds and yes, sad,but true the strip is out! I do not have the list with me, but was looking at 45's, 5b, 27 and the likes. I am after a good trip and meat, not worried about the next record. 27 has alot of hunters! Thanks,

Larry

You might could get a 12A West (early) tag with 5 points as a NR.

Doug, they didn't fill the 10% NR cap last year on that hunt did they?

Course its gonna move earlier in the year (mid October) so that ought to be a really good fat forkie hunt in years to come!

Otherwise contact those Scott brothers. Desert hunt for BIG Mule deer. One of the best "secrets" out there.

Don Martin
AWO

Don,
I suppose that early 12Awest hunt could be a possibility with 5 points. I overlooked that one in haste. I do not know when (at what BP level) the 10% NR cap was met for that hunt. One might assume it was met during the 20% bonus pass. That would be some good info for AZGFD to publish for their NR applicants. I suppose the draw department could look up that info for a caller.

That Dec coues hunt in 33 is pretty hard to draw, surprisingly harder than the 12AW early. I am trying to draw a Dec WT with an Alaskan, so that info about when the 10% cap was met would be helpful.

Doug

Thanks guys! I was looking at 18A, 16A, 5B, 5A, 45A,C and 27, but will look at 12A early as well. If I can ever help, let me know and good luck on your draws this year!

Doug:

I've got the list here somewhere, but I think they didn't hit the 10% cap in 12A West (early), and if they did, it wasn't on the 20% pass drawing for sure.

I've tracked that over the years and it never has. NR with a lot of points know what kind of hunt this basically-- not always-- was and as such wasn't willing to burn alot of points to get it.

I'm bummed there going to move it back in 2010. Those big guys will be buried in that acacia and oaks...

Don

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom