Deer/elk calibers

ridgerunner

Very Active Member
I'm looking at getting a new rifle, primarily for deer but also for elk on occassion. I would prefer a caliber that doesn't kick a whole lot, what are some recommendations? I hunt the high country so long shots are common.

Anything from the 270 on up would be perfect for both.

mouse.gif

Both you guys are sick he stated long shots not 200 yard shots
a 300 win mag or a 300 wsm is the only way to go,included with a muzzle break and it will kick like a 243.
and also with bullet selection from 110 grain bullets all the way to 220 grain bullets you can't get that from a 06 or a 270

I beg to differ warbird. If you check the Hornady reloading book, you will see that the selection for the 30.06 loads is from 110 grains to 220 grains. If you are going to give someone advice make sure that it is accurate.

Hey warbird, He didn't say if he wanted a break. They suck. If you can't make shots out to 400 yards with an 06, you need more practice. The round is capable. I hunted western Montana and Nevada for years with one, and everything I pointed it at is dead. Including more than one elk at 400 and beyond. mtmuley

I've been shooting a 7mm for 35 years Ridgerunner. I am only 165lbs and it does not hurt me. I also own a 270 and I think it has a very uncomfortable kick. my 2cents

I use a 300 ultra mag for deer and elk. Works real good. I use the same bullet for both animals so I never have to change anything. 180 grain swift Sorocco (?). I use a muzzle break at the range or if I am shooting a lot but for hunting I take it off and you dont 't really feel the kick anyway when you shoot something. It is a little on the heavy side.

ridgerunner, I would agree with some of the other posts made on this thread. The 30-06 has been, and still is one of the most versatile calibers out there for Elk and deer and, I would be so bold as to say that it has probably taken more deer and elk than all other calibers combined. As mentioned in a previous post the 06 has a wide variety of bullets to select from, both in factory loaded ammo and as components for handloading. Using the right bullet/load etc., it is VERY capable of making a 400 yd shot. Best of luck in choosing your new rifle.

My vote is for a .300 Win Mag or a 7mm Mag. Both are long shooters and with a quality recoil pad can be tamed easily, and the 7 isn't that bad to begin with. If your afraid of recoil you probably should shoot your rifle more often to get more acustomed to it. They say you can kill any animal with any rifle or caliber with the right shot placement. I say if your going to even consider long shots at Elk as part of your hunting plans then you should shoot the largest caliber you can and still maintain your accuracy with anything less then that you are compromising knock down power for your pure comfort. In Oregon anything .24 caliber or larger for elk and .22 caliber or larger for deer is legal but I would not want to count on either for filling the freezer or taking a shot on potential trophy. Of course even with the largest of calibers you still have to put a bullet in the right location to be effective. Just my .02 cents. Good Luck!

Ridgerunner,

Haven't pm'd you for a while over on the hiking site. How are things?

I have opinions to offer, as I know the type of terrain you will be hunting (steep, nasty, very remote).

Chambering: sounds like a slam dunk for a 270, 280, or 30-06. You'll find that the 7mm and the '06 are a bit jumpy in a lightweight rifle like you're probably after (personal experience), but they're a whole order of magnitude nicer to shoot than any of the 300 mags and up. You can go round and round with the WSMs and the RUMs and belted mags and weatherbys and others, and maybe get some VERY marginal ballistic help, but stick with the '06 family for great performance and economy. If you reload, get whatever you want!

For Criminy's sake, don't let anyone on here tell you that you need a booming magnum to kill deer and elk. It's where you hit 'em.

Rifle: New or used? Don't discount older rifles. I'm very partial to tang-safety rugers. Don't worry about controlled round feeding vs. push feed or other nonsense. Don't sweat using a blued steel rifle. Keep an oily rag in your stuff and wipe it down every night. Wood can be interesting to manage if it's wet where you're going. I find all but one of my rifles wearing synthetic these days, in spite of my fondness for wood. Some suggestions:

Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 (same rifle) in 30-06 or 270. Pick one up at wally-world for, like, $390. It will probably have a better trigger out of the box than a Rem 700 or Winchester. It will also wear a synthetic stock.

Ruger 77 Tang Safety (made before about 1990): wood stock and blued, but we have, like, five in my extended family, all of which have been hunted with VERY hard. My two (7mag and 300 winmag) shoot itty bitty groups, so don't let anyone say they don't shoot. These early ruger triggers are adjustable, the new ones aren't (my only beef with the new ones).

For the love, DO NOT GET A MUZZLE BREAK. You'll go deaf.

Scopes: For the love, do not get anything with more power than 9-10x, and larger than 40mm obj. lens. YOU DON'T NEED IT. Count points from 1/2 mile away with your friggin binoculars.

Cheap: fixed 4x or 6x leupold from a gun show. $100. Bombproof. Lightweight. Fixodent and forget it.

Medium: 2x7 VX1 or VX2 Leupold. $200 new. Bombproof. Perfect magnification range. Not too much lens (33mm)

High end: 1.5x5, 1.75x6, or 2.5x8 VX3 Leupold. $400 new, <$300 used if you get lucky. 1.5x5 is SWEET - VERY compact and light. 2.5x8 is SWEET - very clear and 36mm obj is manageable. I own both. I don't have, but would snatch up in a heartbeat, the 1.75x6.

Leupold standard dovetail front / windage rear bases, Leupold low rings. Don't get medium or high rings - you have to raise your head up off the stock to shoot with them, and that throws your awkward position (read: hunting) shooting out the window.

This will get you in the game, for potentially less than $600.

BTW, I've used the following items with no tweaking with great results:

Win. 70 post-64 push feed 30-06
Rem. 700 Mountain rifle 280 (dad's rifle, LIGHT, heavy trigger)
Rem. 700 280 (since rebarreled to 35 whelen Ackley)
Ruger 77 7mm mag
Ruger 77 300 Winmag

Leupold 4x, 6x36, 6x42, 1x4 VX2, 2x7 compact, 3x9 VX2, 1.5x5 VX3, 2.5x8 VX3.

Other good, cheap, tough gear:

Pentax DCF-WP binocs (stack them up against the finest swaros or zeiss - they'll surprise you)

LL Bean North Col Boots - SCREAMING deal at $150, stiff leather stitchdown oldschool vibram waffle big steel shank aaahrg aaarhg!! WAY better quality than ANY danner boot (I've had 3 pair of them).

Dana Designs ext. frame packs - discontinued, cheap, will handle more load comfortably than you want to carry (120+#)

Shoot me a PM or email if you have questions!

-Jerry V.

Ridgerunner;

Vek has given you some very sound advice on your pick of caliber and related gear. It is damn hard to beat the 30-06 or 270 in a non-magnum caliber. If you are recoil sensitive, go with the 270, if the 30-06 is not too much in recoil, go with it due to more bullet selection.
The Howa rifle that Vek mentioned is a excellant rifle and it will not break the bank to buy it. My elk rifle is a 300 mag, and my deer-antelope rifle is a 25-06, but I would not feel undergunned with a 30-06 or 270.
Good Hunting;
RELH

my deer rifle is a .270. my elk rifle is a .270. my coyote rifle is a .270. so is my bear, lion, javelina, turkey, sheep, pronghorn, sasquatch, etc. rifle. i have a bunch of other rifles, dozens, but when i'm serious about something, the ol' model 70 is in my scabbard. if you're such a lousy sneaker that you have to have a 800 yd rifle, then ya oughta spend more time learnin' the art of sneaky and spend less on fancy doodads that tell you how far away things are and big eyelash counter optics and stuff. huntin' is fun. go huntin', not target shootin'. with all this hi-tech stuff you're missing out on a lot of fun. besides, i'm better at 400 yds with my .270 than anyone i know is with their cannon at 800.

LAST EDITED ON May-13-04 AT 12:17PM (MST)[p]
RLH-I just re-read these posts and I can't see where anyone is talking about taking 800 yard shots. I know of archers that can be as deadly as a rifle at 100 yards but even the best bowhunter will not argue that you stand a better chance of a quick kill with a rifle at that distance. The same can be said of comparing the .270 to a medium bore magnum in the .30 cal range. YES you can take elk at 400 yards with the .270 if you can hit the right spot but the Mag .30's will have a greater chance of knocking an 800+ lb elk down if by chance your bullet does not find your point of aim. I'm not knocking anyone here for using smaller calibers if you shoot them well they are just as deadly I'm just saying that if you hit an elk at 400+ yards in the shoulder(not behind it) the bigger bullet that your packing the better your chances are that you'll inflict the damage required to harvest it. I just shudder when I think of hunters that wound animals every year either and loose them because the are either undergunned for the shot that they are attempting or they are just simply not accurate because of a lack of practice.

whatever southpaw. i don't worry about knocking anything over. just shoot em in the heart or the neck, load em up and go home. i'm thinkin' that maybe big rifles are sorta like short guys with big trucks......... i've shot over 30 bulls with my .270. another dozen or so with other rifles, a bow and a muzzleloader. how many you shot? big guns are fine. but they ain't a requirement. i killed a bull with a .30/30 once. one shot. dropped in his tracks. like i always say, a gutshot is a gutshot. doesn't matter how big your gun is. marksmanship and hunting skills are the trick. some of the biggest elk every year are killed with a bow and arrow. what's that say? you can kill em with anything, that's what it says. hell, fred bear and howard hill killed elephants with recurves. karamojo bell killed thousands of elephants with a 7x57. you guys who like to shoot cannons are fine. but don't knock me and my 58 year old .270. i can do anything with it anyone else can do with a big mag. big guns don't make up for poor shooting.

RLH-I'm not knocking anyone for shooting the smaller calibers and I never said you can't be effective with them but the ballistics do not lie. I guess the point I was trying to make was that if a person is like most of the recreational hunters then they probably don't practice nearly enough to be effective at longer ranges no matter what they are shooting and in that case I would prefer that they were shooting the larger calibers not because I do but because it provides them with the greatest chance of not loosing an animal due to a mis-placed shot. Your right a gut shot is a gut shot but in other areas where heavy bones come into play the difference of shooting a smaller caliber vs a heavier one could be the difference between taking an animal home or chasing it to the next county or worse loosing it all together especially at longer ranges which is what we were originaly talking about here. Again if you are effective with the gun in your hand Great! Shoot It!, if your only a marginal marksmen then I think it's better to favor a larger caliber because it more forgiving. By the way I'll bet I could kill an elk with a Red Ryder BB gun but besides being illegal why would I want to?(lol)

Southpaw, poor marksmanship is exactly why a magnum is a bad choice. It takes a real hand to shoot one of them magnums well. They just don't have enough power to ensure a kill when the shot lands in the left toe.You just can't be letting of a "hail mary" hoping that foot pounds or velocity going to bail you out.
30/06,308win,358win,35whelen,338/06 you get the idea. I'm partial to short actions and shoot a humble 308win mod 70.

Just because people like to shoot magnums does not mean they can't shoot good. I use my .300 ultra mag because it shoots good and I like the feel of the rifle. You shoot your .270, 30-06,.308 or what ever you want because your good with it and thats the gun you like. I have a 7mm, a .243, and a 25-06. Those will kill deer just as good as the .300 RUM

So shoot whatever caliber you feel good with.

ORsouthpaw, I'll take that bet! Seriously, Anyone taking "long" shots needs to define in their own mind what a long shot is for them personally. Then they need to make an educated decision on whether or not the rifle and cartridge they use is capable of this long shot. Thirdly and most importantly, one must then decide if THEY can make the shot. Ethics and all kinds of other things will come into play. I don't tend to bash any cartridge unless it is used in a manner in which it was not intended. Every cartridge has its place and usefullness, including "cannons". Shoot what you shoot well for the game you are after. mtmuley

Fella's I think that we're some what on the same page here. I would really prefer that every hunter was an expert marksman no matter if they shoot a .22 or a .50 cal. The problem, like I said is too many guys are only seasonal shooters meaning that when deer/elk season comes, they dust off ol'betsy and take it into the field to throw lead at the first oppourtunity that presents itself. I am no way saying that using a magnum makes you a better shooter or will make it ok to take a poor shot just that it does in fact pack more of punch and thus improves it's effectiveness and the average hunters chances of taking an animal at longer ranges. I know some people just don't understand Enery numbers (ie 1000ft/lbs is less then 2000ft/lbs) and If I agitated some of the small caliber fans here sorry, I myself have a few small calibers but I just don't buy into the idea that it's cool to take a shot at an Elk sized animal at 400+ yards with a small caliber rifle unless you are an extremely proficient and proven shooter. As I have said previously if your a good shot it dosn't matter. The kill zone dosen't care if a .257bob or .338umag hits it, the animal is going down. Like mtmuley said "Every cailber has it's place" and it just a matter of personal opinion whether or not what you shoot is applicable for the game your after.

Blow little holes,Blow medium holes, or cut sh!t in half it's all fun and does the job. I like an '06 for deer and a 300 WSM for elk, and what ever is in the safe calling my name for everything else. From my .22 to my .338.

7mm-08, "sweet little thang" that gets the job done with no shoulder busting or ear peircing noise that leaves a smile on your face after you pull the trigger as you admire your kill! Like Dangerfield, this caliber gets no respect...Good Luck there is alot of good one's out there!

next time one of ya kill an elk, bone out a shoulder. there's a big misperception on them here for sure. they ain't an armor plated rhino. they're slim boned. their shoulder blade is maybe 1/4" thick above the joint. the leg bones aren't real heavy. maybe 1 1/2" dia. above or below the joints. even the joints aren't real heavy. hit in front or behind the leg bone and all you have is ribs. maybe not even then, if you slip between em. i've driven an arrow through both shoulder blades on a 6x6. he was pretty close, but it still ain't near what an '06 is at 200 yds. to me, a shoulder shot is way in front of where you need to hit. hit the ribs in the middle and it's a dead elk. if you're real good shot, hit em in the armpit and blow a hole in the heart. my aunt shot a good bull this past november. a little over 450 yds. hit it smack in the shoulder with an '06. humped up and died in maybe 20 seconds. went less that 30 yds. don't get too involved with numbers, like velocity and knock down. sure, the faster it shoots and harder it hits, the better. but elk just ain't that hard to kill and if they're getting away from you, you're either gut shootin' em or breaking legs. any shot with any reasonable highpower in the lungs is fatal and it is quick.

RLH, I won't totally agree that elk are easy to kill. With a good shot, yes. But there is something about elk that brings out the worst in people. Maybe it is because most folks don't find them as regularly as deer. Maybe it is because sometimes there are dozens, even in some cases hundreds of animals in one area. Whatever the reason, elk can un-nerve almost anyone. I have never heard more bad, I didn't find the animal stories as I have heard with an elk being the target. I agree the classic behind the shoulder lung/heart shot is best and usually quickly fatal. I guess some hunters have a hard time controlling emotion, adrenaline, breathing, whatever.(Been there myself). These animals really get the heart rate up! Cartridge choice should be based on the distances one would encounter while hunting. Better to have a little too much than not enough. mtmuley

so a big magnum is gonna make ya shoot better? i'm confused. i've pretty much proved to myself that a 264 or 270 or 280 or 7mm or 06 will shoot through an elk about any angle you want to shoot it. and if you gutshoot one or hit it in the leg, it doesn't matter what you hit it with. so how does a cannon make much difference unless you're shooting real extreme ranges? big guns don't make up for poor shooting. and if you're gonna rely on shooting real long ranges at elk, an animal that constantly moves and the range constantly changes, you're probably just gonna scare em more than anything. and again, there ain't a thing wrong with em, other than the weight, noise and recoil. but you still have to hit anything in a place that will kill it. i feel that guys get caught up in all the numbers. you need x amount of velocity and trajectory and to kill an elk you need x amount of knockdown, etc. it ain't an algebra test. you should be worried more about where your bullets hits and less about how it gets there. secret is to get close enough and make a good shot. here's one for you guys. why is a quartering away shot at a steep angle a risky thing early in the morning?

allright blueoak. just like hittin' a wet bail o' hay. i've seen bullets from fairly close range stop in their stomach.

A quartering away shot at a steep angle is risky in the evening. Especially if you don't know elk anatomy. The full paunch thing is ridiculous. All elk do not eat until full every night. Steep angle shots require different shot placement regardless of the animals positioning. Also, I do not think a big magnum makes you "shoot better". I happen to shoot a BIG magnum and have for the past 3 years. I shoot just as well as I did before the BIG magnum. But, I am educated as to how far and where this rifle shoots. If I feel like an early morning quartering away shot is warranted, myself and my rifle are capable. I agree about shot placement being the most important variable though. Regardless of caliber, you must make a good shot. A magnum does not kill any better just because the shot is poor. Been there. mtmuley

whatever. do what ya wanna do. don't bother me. sure seems to bother you that the rest o' world don't follow your tracks tho. i'll use my popgun. you use your howitzer. free country. or anyway i thought it was. 1369.

RLH, Not trying to irritate you, although I can see I have. I am just saying, if a person can handle the larger cartridges and knows when and how to use them, they have a purpose. I was and still am a die hard 30-06 fan. Since I own three of them, my new rifle needed to be different. It doesn't bother me that people don't follow my tracks. What does bother me is people that may buy a rifle of MAGNUM caliber, and not take the time and effort to understand and become familiar with it. Then THEY will be following tracks. And possibly never catching up. Sorry if I struck a nerve. mtmuley

I have read this whole discussion and both sides have valad points. I have killed several elk 18+ and I have used 30-30 25-06 30-06 7mm 300win 300 RUM, and they all died, getting close is the key, But if you cannot get as close as you would like, I would rather have my 300 RUM than my 25-06, just for sheer knock down power at a long distance. But lets say 200 yds in, any one of these weapons will work (except the 30-30) little far for him. But you start stepping up to 400 of 500 yds the bigger guns carry an advantage. trajectory, fps of energy, ect. With all of that being said IF I DREW A BULL ELK HUNT OF A LIFETIME I WOULD BE SPORTIMG MY 300 REMINGTON ULTRA MAG! I AM 230LBS 6' NOT RECOIL SENSITIVE. But don't get me wrong any of them will do you just have to know the limits of your gun. the 25-06 is different than my 300 RUM!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck this year fellas what ever you shoot! BILL

FEAR NOT FOR I AM WITH YOU! Walk soft and carry a 300 RUM,

I've got a great cartridge for all of you guys. Pull out your ballistic tables, recoil charts and take a look at this one. 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag. Just a hair more kick than 30-06 or 7 mm mag, but a whole lot more speed and punch. I have one and have shot many times and it has not even left a mark on my shoulder after a box of shells.

I have use a 300 win mag for 7 years now, and before that a 7mm wby., and now I use my 300 win for elk and a 270 for deer, and for me I know a couple people that us the 270 for elk and they feel fine using I know one person that used a 270 for deer for nearly a decade then he started hunting elk shot one elk with it and said he would never use it for elk again, personally with me I hated my 300 mag at first because of its recoil but after shooting it at the range and getting a feel for it I feel in love with it and would recommend that anyone try it, for me I just feel safer knowing that if I can't get close enough to that trophy bull thats 450 yards away headed for private land I would feel better knowing I could reach out and knock him down with my 300 than trying to humainly killing him with my 270. Just an opinion, but overall I would say get used to recoil while you site it in cause thats the only time you'll notice cause when I shot my 1st bull this year with my 300 I don't think I even flinched. But just shoot whatever your comfortable with and try different distances, positions and landscapes I know to many people that get a new gun go to the range and sight it in at the 100 yard mark and say ok I'm good, then get out hunting an shoot a deer in high in the arse or clip a leg and say I don't know what happend I had it sighted in perfectly, so like its been said any gun you are comfortable with will work, just get to know what you gun is capable of and what you are capable of, I don't know how much I agree with the .30-30 though 4 years ago I watched a guy unload 6 shots on a 3 point raghorn at about 50 yards and after watching all shot drill him it made me sick so I shot across and finished him off when I got to the guy he was greatfull cause he was having a hard time pumping more shells into the tube, and when I aske what the freak he was doing he said he wanted to get as close as he could with a gun not very many people use, it made me so freaking mad have some respect people, I'm not saying a .30-30 can't do the job I'm sure it has before but people need to know what they are doing and know what they are risking, I mean this guy just thought it was wonderful he shot an elk with his .30-30, and all shots hit.

Jake

I didn't read all the posts, but I figured I would put my 2 Cents in. I weigh over 220 lbs and enjoy Bar Fighting and falling off horses. But shooting anthing over a 270 makes me flinch even in the heat of the battle (shooting Game) I love my 270 and I always try to get as close as can knowing I have a 270. I think I could of killed more elk with a bigger gun. I tried a 7 Mag, hated shooting it and hauling it up and down the hills. I can bring my 270 up to my shoulder standing and hold a pretty good bead, some day I want to replace it with a light weight mountian type rifle, but I can't decide on a caliber to go to.

Ben

A lightweight mountain rifle is going to whack you no matter what the cartridge. Most average in the six pound range. mtmuley

Thats a good point, guess I keep shooting my 20 year old Remington 270, I even cleaned it a few years ago! Its a killer with noslers. Can't even count every thing its killed.

Since you are familiar with your rifle, it would be wise to keep it. Can't say I'm a fan of the .270 for elk, but a trusty rifle in the hands of one that can use it is better than one he is unsure of or doesn't like to shoot. You're other option is a mountain weight rifle with a brake. I'm not a fan of brakes either, but for some applications they have a place. mtmuley

I'm not sure if its the sound or the recoil that makes me flinch. When your walking over the top, maybe it's the weight. But all things said I have pumped many rounds into a small mule deer without droping in, it did die however in about a half mile. ???? Missing the vital spots i guess, but with a larger gun I would like to miss the vitals and still know that would knock them off there feet hard. It's a long discusion I'm sure, but would like that perfect rifle for elk. The 270 is the best for Antalope and Deer, But elk I'm not sure. What is the best non kicking, load, elk round?

Wyomingben

I shot my elk this year at 442 yards with a .270 shooting 130 grainers. dropped her right in her tracks. however I am going to switch over to a 7mm Mag. for a little extra insurance on some of those long shots.

I would rather use something a little to big than something a little to small, it just seems better to overkill something than underkill and make it suffer.

Jake

What is a 7mm-08? Non Magnum is assume, also something to do with a 7mm case? I have friends who like the 300 Win Mag, but I assume that would be a heavy sucker, whats all this hype about these short mags, is it just a way to get gun nuts to buy more guns?

Thanks
Ben

I think if you look seriously at the short mags, you will be pleasantly surprised. I don't shoot one personally, but have seen and heard good things. But if you are concerned about recoil, a muzzle brake would probably help. Before taking the M.B. route, try one of the new recoil pads from SVL or Pachmayr if you go with a short mag. mtmuley

I'm sold on the wthby 300. Now aside from the fact that the gun is way overpriced and factory ammo is pretty pricey, the gun does everything. Personally, I'd opt for the 7mm mag which will pretty much cover any North American game sans the biggest of the big bears. Just my opinion.........

Coot

i think everyone is missing this, he said that he doesnt want to much kick. think that a 270, 30-06 would be perfect, maybe even a 280. somebody mentioned the 7mm and how it doesnt have that much kick, a 7mm has nearly 2x's as much kick as a 30-06. the 270 i think is the best because it does not hardly kick and has high velocity. they are also very accurate rifles.
casey

Hello boys,,new to the site,,it;s a good one too.
As a kid growin' up in s.w.montana I saw,but never pondered ,,two groups of deer/elk hunters,,MEN usein' '06's,.270's,a .300H&H now and then and a weatherby once in a while,even the odd 30/40 and .303. The other group,WOMEN/KIDS,usein' .243s,,.257s,,30/30s,,even a couple of SWIFTS,,and for the most part there was no diff. success wise when marksmanship was equal,,but ONE constant was present,,in each case the hunter had confidence in thier rifle and thier marksmanship.
I shoot a .300 mag 'cause I like the cartridge,,but with the right bullet,I will use a .243 or .250 Savage without pause,,I know my marksmanship is up to it,,and as long as the rifle will do it and the slug is right,I'll make meat

I shot a cow through the shoulder with a .308 from 100 yards and a 165 grain bullet. bullet performed perfectly. shattered the shoulder,mushroomed perfectly, put a fist size whole in the heart, then when i was skinning her, the bulle was lodged just under the skin. isnt that exactly what a bullet is supposed to do? expell all energy INSIDE the animal and not just blow through?
casey

Hey BIGLOST, I am another Montana boy. Born in Shelby and grew up in the Bitteroot Valley. I too remember the days of elk taken with cartridges you mentioned. My Grandfather would bust my .300 Ultra to pieces because he wouldn't have understood it. I think hunting and the generation up and coming have changed. I just said I use a .300 Ultra. But, I cut my teeth with a Remington 721 in 30-06. Used it for 20 years. New hunters these days do not have to start with the "old" standby cartridges. Bigger, better, faster. That is fine, but you had better know how and when to use the extra punch. As you say, as long as the shot is right, the lesserguns will work. I just don't think people shoot enough in the off season. I could go on and on about that, but maybe later. Werlcome to MM. mtmuley

mymuley, my dad and i have a 721 in 270 that was my grandfathers. the gun is about 50?????< or more years old and that thing will outshoot my 5 year old 700 bdl any day of the week!
casey

I looked at almost all the posts.

My two cents is for a long action go with 6.5x06. Flat and with X or premium bullets more than enough for the occasional elk.

Drop down to lightweight stuff. I'd sure look into a wsm. 7 wsm is setting accuracy records all over the place. Buy one( factory rifles have cheap barrels and torqued actions) or build one. Once in a lifetime I'd get a trued short action(maybe a titanium one??) and put a quality barrel in 7wsm on it. Shoot 140s or so but have options up to 180s for larger stuff.

Muzzle breaks. No one seems to like em. But go deaf because of one? Not hardly. I shoot with ear plugs on at the range like anyone with any sense does. Out in real life you rarely fire more than a shot or two. That wont' kill you. I know, I've got a few braked guns. Or get a brake you can turn off and on.

Keep it on the light side and you'll be really happy.

Nothing at all wrong with the 30-06 family as suggested.

But what really gets me is everyone touting their 300 mags over the 06 for elk. Same caliber. Bit faster. Bit more energy. But if you get the once in a lifetime elk tag, I would feel on the light side with one. Lets start on teh 338 side and maybe move up to 375+ side. With a premium bullet you can run it in the rump and out the chest. Something that will tax any of the 300s.

All that being said I've got a pair of 300s that I shoot quite a bit and enjoy. Nope they don't knock it over right away most times but they do kill and penetrate well. But I've shot a few large animals(Nilgai and Elk) with them and while they work, I'd prefer larger if I can't choose my shot(often the case with Nilgai).

Lots of options there. Depending on whats most important. BTW a bullet that goes in, expands and stays inside works well and imparts all its energy. BUT in my books its a total failure. Take that same shot quartering or in the rump or chest and you may well not get enough penetration. I'd rather have excess on an elk and dump it in the dirt. But its there for the bad shot if needed.

Good luck, follow your best feelings, you can't hardly go wrong. Shoot it a lot. Shoot it at long ranges if you are going to when hunting and you'll be fine.

All my Muzzleloader practice will be 200 and 300 yards till my hunt. I hope for the 100 yard shot but I'll know what to do if I have to and the 100 yarder will be a chip shot when it comes.

Jeff

The 721 is one hell of a rifle. Mine has been packed around the woods so long there is no blueing left where my hands touch it. I too got mine from one of my grandfathers, and when my son is ready, he will carry it. mtmuley

Nice discussion. I don't know what you qualify as long shots. Dealing w/big muleys, I expect one is going to want to be able to take some 300-400 yard shots on occasion. To be frank, I don't understand the long shots at elk. They are just not that difficult to get close to.

For me a long shot is out beyond 250 yards. Some of you guys are no doubt competent to take shots at twice that. If I see a monster bull at 400 yards, am I going to be tempted? Oh yeah!!! But I have no business taking the shot. My '.06 would do the job, but its cababilities exceed my own. Can you shoot to the potential of the firearm w/ no bench, field conditions? Are you using a range finder?

Find some friends with some of the calibers and shoot a few rounds if you can. I like my .06s becuase I've absolute confidence in them and know I will not be shooting beyond their capability. I've shot elk with a .308, a .30-.30, and seen plenty put down with .270s and 300 mags (elk apparently don't appreciate the differences in the calibers). I've shot one 300 mag and didn't notice that it kicked any worse than my .06. The caliber alone isn't the only variable in kick. General design of the model, weight, stock, quality of recoil pad, etc... are all factors. Shot one .30-.30 that put made some bigger guns seem mild by comparison.

Buy something you like the looks of, the feel of, that you'll enjoy shooting a box through, and will have confidence in.

THEAZBAGGER, Are you serious? And if you are, how about you explain this "speed kills" thing. I guess it does if you are driving a car. mtmuley

lol actualy it was my dad who posted that last one.he's 60 years old and been using a 22-250 for the last 20 years for everything.
they never go further that 30 yards. he's had 4 shoulder surgerys over the last 20 years,so can't take the recoil of the high calibers.deer elk,bear etc..... kinda crazy..... lol

I would go with a 7mm Rem Mag. i like 145gr Speer SPBT's for deer and 160gr Nosler Partitions for Elk. Make sure and spend the $$ for a good quality scope (ie Leupold).

Just my 2 cents, Don
Everett, WA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom