Deer Help

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
I'm going to start building some points for deer the next few years and I'm just wondering what is going to be my best bet. I'm looking at the units that are close to the Utah border.
Would I be better off getting a Region K general tag or should I put in for a limited quota permit for unit 102? I'm pretty new to this Wyoming stuff, but I really want to figure it all out. I'm not looking for a trophy buck, just something decent and a fun area to hunt with lots of critters.
Can anybody help me out??? Even if there's a good unit that's not on the border I would consider that too, I just want to hunt Wyoming and be able to scout it too.
Thanks,
Matt

I'm confused what you're asking. If you're really building points for the next few years, just simply do that. I wouldn't begin to worry about where you want to hunt until you're ready to apply. The answer could be very different a few years from now.

If you're not planning to hunt his year, i would put in for the PP & start planning for a future hunt. If you live close by spend a little time in a couple of units to see which appeals to you than research how many points it will take to draw the tag.
7 Mag

That's what I'm planning on.
I want to buy a point this year and next and then in 2011 I would like to start applying. I'm trying to get a good idea of what I should do before I go into something blindly. I'm basically asking you guys what my best chance at killing a 150-160 class buck would be with 2 points. I'm willing to do whatever is necessary and I will do all the research. I'm just looking for a unit that has a good pop of deer and that I can go out and have a good chance at seeing some bucks.

On the first video of the "Never Enough" videos, paul and about 8 of his buddies hunt a part of Wyoming and they all kill 4 points in the first few days. That looked like an awesome hunt, any have any idea where that was at??? (Probably private)

HJ,
102 is one of the toughest units to draw in Wyoming - You'd be in the random draw so unless something changes your odds with 2 points would be less than 5%. That said, your goal of a good hunt with 140 -160 inch bucks can be accomplished in many units that you could draw with 3-5 points in the special draw. Units like 90, 119, 141, etc.. all have lots of public land and really good hunting for bucks like you are describing. Look at the Wyo. game and fish site for harvest reports which will tell you success odds for the various units. Click on the draw odds at the top of the page right here on Monster Muleys. Thats a good place to start. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Ah, just buy PPs now and then continue to just browse the forums and the web for more info. Keep an eye on the weather for the units you're interested in to see if drought or a bad winter hurts the herds at all. An awesome unit now, may not be that awesome in 3 years.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-09 AT 05:43PM (MST)[p]You should be able to find a buck in the 150-160 class in most any of the units. Most hunters build points to get one of the better tags to up their odds to score on a B&C buck, at least that's my goal. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a 160 buck, but my advice is to figure out how much you're actually paying for the tag. What i mean is each PP comes at a cost & that cost should be figured into the total cost of your tag. ie: PP+PP+PP+tag=$$. There's nothing wrong with that i'm just suggesting you might be money ahead to hunt one of the easier draw units, hunt hard, score on a decent buck & save yourself a few dollars.
7 Mag

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom