Deer hunt in 2012

tagsoup

I know this gets asked all the time(and i'm sure i'll catch a bunch of crap for this). But I'm going to ask anyway, because I don't know what to do. My dad and I have 7pts for deer. When we started collecting these points we planned on hunting one of the gunnison basin units, but after the bad winter kill a couple years ago I don't know what to do now. I would like to hunt during the 3rd or 4th season but I don't know where. Does anyone think that 54,55,66,67, or 551 one be a good hunt in 2012? Should we wait a few more years and keep collecting points? Should we look at other units? What should we do? What would you do? I really want to get my dad a 170+ buck. He's killed a lot of mule deer but nothing over 165. I am actually stressing out over these points (if you can believe that). It took a long time to collect them and I don't want to disappointed my dad. It took a lot of talking to get him to apply for this many years. Please help me if you can.

Resident or Non? If resident, you should look into unit 10 second season or 21 second season--you'll have a shot at a 170+ deer.

Here's my take on things...
I've hunted or guide in most of the units you've listed below. (I currently guide in the gunnison basin) Nw Colorado can be tough in the 2nd seasons. I had a 21 second season tag two years ago. Long story short hunted my a$$ off, knew the unit well and didn't kill out until the second to last evening with a respectable buck but nothing I was proud of. With his points I would seriously look into a 3rd season unit 10 tag. Did a bunch of deer hunts out there last year 2-4th seasons and killed some nice deer all over 170 inches. Biggest being a 191 typical from the 3rd season. Im not a big fan of 21 anymore. Growing up in Meeker my dad used to hunt it and last had the tag in 04 I want to say and killed a 186 and its been down hill since Garth Carter found it and published it in his Magazine. As far the Gunnison basin goes. I spend about 6 days on a horse out here scouting, doing pack trips and what not. The deer herd is suffering down here still to say the least. Still big deer running around just not like they used to. We actually chose not to sell any deer hunts this year or last because, we as outfitters and conservationists feel the deer herd hasn't rebounded to what it needs to be before we start selling hunts and harvesting these deer. The 200 inchers aren't around like they used to be, although we still have killed some nice deer in the past couple of years and the Gov. tag buck was killed last December out of 55. It were me I'd hold off on the Gunnison Basin, coming from someone that weeks at a time riding and scouting the country all summer. If it were me I'd do a unit 10 3rd season tag. Not a physically demanding hunt and a good chance at a 180 plus inch deer IMO. Some would disagree but I'll stick to my guns after what I saw this past season out there. Feel free to PM and I'll do my best to help you out. You can check out our website and see some of the deer that we've had clients take out of the basin (54) in the past. www.tenderfoot-outfitters.com
Coloradoboy

I would have to agree with Coloradoboy's assessment of the gunnison basin herd situation.....still needs some rebuilding. Looking at draw odds for unit 10......is there really any chance of him catching up in the points game for a 3rd or 4th season tag there???

pm sent

Guys thanks for the replys and messages. One very important thing that I forgot to mention is that we are nonresidents. So that means 10 is not an option anytime soon. Any other ideas???????

Sorry, I didnt realize you weren't a Resident... If it were me I'd sit on your points. And give it a year or two. You might want to also look into 55 or 66...
Coloradboy

unit 61,We did not get hit by the bad winter that the gunison area did .I have seen your realistic goal of 170 bucks this summer.and you should be able to draw with 7 points for most seasons next year. I applaud coloradoboy for his stand on rebuilding their herd .even though it turns money away.for more info feel free to contact me

Thanks for all the messages guys. I have a few units that I'm going to start looking into.
Thanks again.

>Resident or Non? If resident,
>you should look into unit
>10 second season or 21
>second season--you'll have a shot
>at a 170+ deer.

I hunted Unit 10, second season, last year. It was very disappointing for us, and most everybody we talked to. In my opinion it does not deserve the hype that it's been given. Not sure about the 3rd season, or other units.

Good luck!

GrizlyHunter

>>Resident or Non? If resident,
>>you should look into unit
>>10 second season or 21
>>second season--you'll have a shot
>>at a 170+ deer.
>
>I hunted Unit 10, second season,
>last year. It was
>very disappointing for us, and
>most everybody we talked to.
> In my opinion it
>does not deserve the hype
>that it's been given.
>Not sure about the 3rd
>season, or other units.
>
>Good luck!
>
>GrizlyHunter

You hunted 21 I belive, not 10 correct?

that herd does need to get rebuilt b/c it's night and day from 2007 season to 2010. It almost seems like every deer you find in the age classes to shoot ends up being a big 3pt. There are still big deer around the basin but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack.

I know 21 produced a 192" 2nd season last year. It was a heck of a buck. His mass drove the score up and he carried it from his bases to his tips.

>
>
>You hunted 21 I belive, not
>10 correct?

Duh!!! You are correct...my bad! (My memory is the first to go...)

GrizlyHunter

>I know 21 produced a 192"
>2nd season last year.
>It was a heck of
>a buck. His mass drove
>the score up and he
>carried it from his bases
>to his tips.

My buddy killed that buck... got really lucky and just stumbled upon him late in the season. 10 can be tough in the 2nd season though but I saw two nice bucks come out of there last year in the second. The best hunts are in the 3rd and 4th season. Just finished up guiding some hunters down in Gunnison. Had a deer hunter muzzy season and had him miss about a 180 inch deer opening morning.. only buck we saw the whole week worth going after above tree line.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters

I saw it at Randy's store in town when the guy & his wife stopped by to show him the deer. It was hot and he had a long ways back to TX to transport that deer.

Hats off to you CB and your restraint to hold off on clients for the sake of the herd. Some tough politics playing out in your area. I hope it all works out.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom