Deer in Reg. D

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My Dad and I hunted near Alcova this past Oct. and were surprised by the lack of deer we saw. We saw half the deer we usually see in past years. We never saw any dead deer (from disease) and the ranch owner didnt have any idea. The winter die off was not bad either. Did anyone else notice a shortage of deer this year? Here's the deer I ended up taking on the last day we had to hunt.

4b31145929575a19.jpg

We saw just a couple bigger than this guy but we were not able to get on them.

Steve

I stopped deer hunting around Alcova a couple of years ago, the quality just isn't there for some reason. I seen lots of small bucks with little mass just nothing i wanted to use my tag for.

7 Mag

we hunted antelope south of there and saw alot of does but only two bucks.we heard still recovering from 2 winters ago.

We hunt the same area every year for the past 18 years and have never seen so few deer. The winters have been mild recently according to the land owner. I'm wondering if some of the deer just decided to leave.

7- You are right, there aren't great genetics in this area. Three years ago, there were several 25-30 inch bucks taken which was a huge surprise cuz the largest we'd ever seen prior to that was a 24" wide buck. They generally are narrow and kinda spindley. That year they had some late summer rains that gave them some good food for antler growth that year.

Steve

Hey Wiszard....we thought you was hung??...where you been??

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Hi Guys- Very simple explanation for why I haven't been around. My computer picked up a virus so I had to get a new one. The new one I got has Windows Vista on it. I didn't know how crappy Vista is until I bought the puter. I tried to get on MM and because Vista doesn't work well, or in sync, with other programs, it would take forever to go from one page on MM to another. Therefore, I gave it up for a while until Vista corrected itself. Vista has fixed itself so I am back. Believe me, it was painful being away from you guys for the past couple of months. What have I missed? Has Eel past yet or is he still up and kicking? Have Sageadvice and mtmuley finally come to an agreement on what caliber is best for mule deer? Is Feleno still gay? These are just a few of the things that's been floating around this brain of mine! Good to be back guys....

Steve

Andy- I'll post my goat pictures tomorrow!

There are exceptions,but I think they should shut hunting down in region D for a couple of years.I hunted up by Shirley mountains and I won't be deer huting there again for a few years.Little dinks is all I saw.A couple of residents had a couple of small forkys,I think they were the same two that I passed on the first day.

You may be on to something, Rem. Maybe not closing it all together but maybe a reduction in tags is called for. We used to be drawn only half of the time we would put in. The last couple of years, because of the economy, we've been drawn every year. I wouldnt have a problem not hunting it a year or two to improve numbers and let the deer mature a bit. I've decided to burn my Nevada points this year and not put in for Wyoming.

Steve

I have decided to go for Colorado muzzleloader elk and then a Wyoming antelope.The buck deerI have seen in Wyoming on public land that I have seen is not worth the license price.I may try a private land hunt in eastern Wyoming another year.If I do not draw my Colorado tag I may change my mind ad go to Wyoming anyway.

The last time i hunted by the shirley mtns all i seen were small bucks but a couple of monster bull elk. I think Wy. should reduce the number of muledeer tags for this region. I haven't decided if i'm going to put in for the draw this year or not. I have 3 pp's going into the draw but i may just sit on them, gotta decide soon!

7 Mag

I drive thru this area every year on my way to region A and see quality bucks every year....but thats in the middle of NOV during the rut...

I have seen some nice bucks along the roads in Region B when on vacation and just driving thru,but when it comes to hunting they are hard to find.
Finding a good public land muley is one of the hardest hunts there can be.

southendguy, very nice hunting story. Thanks for sharing.

Wiz, I'm still kicking. We was wonderin' where Wiz was. Or where Wiz is:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Unfortunately,Wyo G&F does not include shutting down any hunting area as part of it's agenda.Wishful thinking on that deal,guys.I know the southern end of D had heavy winterkill 2 years ago,but don't know about north of I-80.Also,if they reduced tags,that would mean going to limited quota.That would meet with stiff resistance from G&F as well as resident hunters.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom