Deer in WY 90

B

byron

I was looking at applying for this unit for deer, it looks like plenty of public land and low tag numbers. I have heard that there are some good deer but overall the deer numbers are low since it is kind of desert country. I would like to think that if you spent some time and glassed and hunted hard you would have a chance at a 170 type deer. But I have never even been there, does anybody have any knowledge of the area? I have also been told that 89 would probably be better, but it looks like a lot of private property. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help. Byron

My wife had that tag this fall, there is a bit of private land in some of the better spots, I think you are about right in your thinking, 170 would be possible but not easy, we had tough weather and the best we got a look at was a 27 or 28 inch 3x4 with thin horns, I only know 90, never have hunted 89

This area use to be outstanding, however, I believe the Game and Fish are putting out more tags than they advertize. The almighty dollar.... I've drawn this tag twice in last four years and the quality has gone down and I have never seen so many slob hunters in my life. Instead of getting out and walking they break the law by riding their 4 wheelier all over the country. I turned in six hunters using this lazy hunting style...Game Wardens just can't be everywhere at once. Sorry for such a gleame(sp) post.

Scratch

+1

I heard the quality is WAY down in area 90. I suggest area 125 or 102. They are way better than 90.

Good luck in the draws :)

Good going Scratch! Keep turning those lazy asses in.I do likewise as I'm fed up with having my hunts ruined by lowlifes driving into areas they're not supposed to be in.

Thanks for being honest, better to find out now rather than after I get the tag. I agree with the four wheelers, ran into the same problem this year in Idaho. I have looked at area 125 and the odds aren't bad at drawing, but it seemed like you would have issues with private property, is there plenty of good public land to hunt? Thanks for all the responses, it is very appreciated.

Byron

Not trying to still the thread but how big of deer can a person expect to harvest in Unit 90? I'm planning on putting in for the tag right now and have three points. Thanks Kurt

Decent chance for a 150 type buck a couple bigger shot every year. Doesn't have great genetics. Some wide bucks, but they wont score good.

I've got 4 nonresident buddies with 3 points that are putting in too. They're not really serious hunters. It's a good area for old guys and people that just want to get any deer. If you're looking for big deer there's lots better areas.

Easy country and access everywhere.

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom